10gal planted Dwarf Puffer tank update *052505* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
10gal planted Dwarf Puffer tank update *052505*

Sadly, I must report that Skinny finally passed on. She was my only female out of the three, and I suspect that she was getting bullied, and starved. Though she ate during feeding, she never ate well which isnt good. But perhaps its for the best.

I decided to clean the hair algae that accounted for most likely twice the plant mass than the desireable plants in the tank. It seriously was terrible, and even after some scrubbing and crazyness with the driftwood, it still is there.

Here's a nice full tank shot. This was taken under the normal lighting on the tank.

Here's a full frontal picture of the tank.

Here's a full tank picture under awesome lighting

This is the java fern that didnt look like it was going to make it. I learned they needed to be attached to something, not burried in the gravel. Now it is LOCKED into the driftwood.

This is the left side of the tank.

And this is the right side.

Here's the two remaining males.

Zooooom....

I like the clarity in this shot other than it shows flaws with algae growing on the glass.

So theres some updated pictures. It will be slightly overstocking, but I will soon be adding 2-3 new dwarf puffers (in hopes of obtaining a breeding pair). The pleco is going to be removed in a couple of weeks, so the bioload will be less, but I find no problems in my levels, nor in agression.

I am also ordering an annubias v. nana for the driftwood on the right, and some more java moss, because the last batch didnt make it, at least well.

Tank inhabitants include:

2x Dwarf Puffers
3x Ottos
1x Pleco
4x Ghost Shrimp

Plants include:

2x Microsword Bunches
1x Amazon Sword
2x Crypt Lutea
1x Java Fern
?x Java Moss (getting rid of to replace with new)
2x Rotalla
2x Vals
and Hair Algae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 09:33 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like puffers. I've only got one and he's a bit of problem keeping fed. Won't eat frozen food. I had to set up a 10g I had in the attic just so I could keep him in snails. He ate nearly every one in the 29 and I'm hard pressed to grow enough snails in the 10 to keep him going. Even the MTS population has been impacted.

I keep him with guppies. No serious problems but he does occassionaly snack on the big delta tailed males. The guppies kind of actually benefit from it, with the smaller tail they swim more freely. I also suspect the slower fry get eaten. I'd be giving away a ton more than I do otherwise.

If I ever get this old house remodeled I might set up a tank with a few of these interesting little fish.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueNH
I like puffers. I've only got one and he's a bit of problem keeping fed. Won't eat frozen food. I had to set up a 10g I had in the attic just so I could keep him in snails. He ate nearly every one in the 29 and I'm hard pressed to grow enough snails in the 10 to keep him going. Even the MTS population has been impacted.

I keep him with guppies. No serious problems but he does occassionaly snack on the big delta tailed males. The guppies kind of actually benefit from it, with the smaller tail they swim more freely. I also suspect the slower fry get eaten. I'd be giving away a ton more than I do otherwise.

If I ever get this old house remodeled I might set up a tank with a few of these interesting little fish.
That's the reason I set up a species tank. The ottos dont get picked on at all, and the pleco scares them. I havent seen my shrimp lately, so they either jumped or slowly got eaten. I think it was the first one, beucase ghost shrimp like to jump.

Good choice for a fish for a planted tank in my opinion, granted fish are a priority over plants for me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:02 AM

I just started my puffer tank about two weeks ago. I love their curiousity. Mine love frozen spirulina enriched brine shrimp, as well as frozen bloodworms. I set up a 1g snail tank, and they have started breeding. My puffers will eat a snail at any given time within 15 seconds of me dropping it in the tank, so I have started putting them in with the lights out to give them a fighting chance. The puffers occasionally nip the amano's tails, but nothing more. The people at Petsmart gave me 2 males and 1 female, and by the next day one of the males was dead. I took him back, and luckily I got a female the second time around. Everything in the tank seems pretty happy, and the plants (except for the micro sword) are growing well. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow. Thanks!
-John
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

John, congrats on the puffer purchase and the aquiring two females. I've been unfortunate with my purchases, and had three of them develop parasites. They'd see the food and not eat it. As it stands now, I think I have one male and one female. Theres the three ottos, and the pleco. I also just got some real anubias v. nana for the tank. I've been searching high and low for it, but got screwed by ordering online, and got a gigantic plant that is NOT anubias v. nana. The tank is really filling in. Once I get my hair algae under control I'll post pictures as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode