Here we go, My First Planted Tank, with track lighting to boot. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Here we go, My First Planted Tank, with track lighting to boot.

Here I go, I have always loved planted tanks and I finally get to try one. So wish me luck, and don't be to brutal. I will try and document this the best I can, so I can hopefully look back and see what a plant novice I was.

My tank is a 57G rimless 36x18x21.

I found the tank and stand on KSL.com classifieds (similar to craigslist but way better). The tank is brand new and the stand was made by the original purchaser.

The stand is rather unique, in that it is rather high, 41 inches tall. I am a little worried about the stand construction so I am gong to reinforce it with some 1/2 baltic birch plywood and then attach it to the wall because of the high center of gravity. I still need to make some doors for it.

The lighting (thanks to everyone on my lighting questions) is
2 - 30 deg EarthLED Lumiselect 36 watt dimmable LED PAR 38 bulbs 6000K (12 - 3 watt Cree xre )
1- 30 deg EarthLED Lumiselect 24 watt dimmable LED PAR 38 bulbs 6000K (12 -2 watt, I don't know the brand)

They are attached to WAC track lighting that will allow me to adjust the lights and add more if I need to. I have a dimmer inline and will add a mechanical timer. I have 2 more barn doors on order (the studio light shade things) and should be here in a week.

PAR reading at the bottom of the tank with just the 2 - 36 watt bulbs were around 100.

Substrate will be dirt (miracle grow) capped with caribsea flora max (midnight)

I have been hunting for rocks in the mountains and I ordered some Manzanita branches.

Filtration will be a sunsun canister.

Plants: I have no idea what to do here I am still researching this, I do not have a green thumb, so I think hardy easy plants would be best for me to start with.

Should I just try a starter package from aquariumplants.com or is it worth the $20 to have them make me a custom package? Or is there other places I should turn for plants. The LFS always seem iffy on the plants.

Hopefully I will have water in the tank come Saturday. Unless it would be better to plant the tank and then put the water in.

Sorry about the picture quality I will work on that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020462.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	48676  

Name:	P1020463.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	48677  

Last edited by Husker13; 06-06-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Algae Grower

Wow real nice tank!!!! If its used, I would fill it with water to check for leaks. When you decide on the plants then empty the water and add soil and plants. Its less messy IMO. GLHF
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would put in the substrate, then plant, then carefully add water (use a plate or something for the water to flow onto as to not disturb the plants)
while planting, just be sure to spray everything a little bit to keep it nice and moist

alternatively (while I've never done this) depending upon the plants you'd like you could always try a "dry start" which seems to be useful for trying to get things like dwarf baby tears to carpet, but it might not even be worth doing something like that if you don't want to run any CO2

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I love the track lighting idea, what is the distance from the bulbs to the substrate?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The lights are about 41 inches from the bottom of the tank, so they will end up being somewhere between 39 and 40 inches from the substrate.

Strike that the lights are 46" from the bottom of the tank.

Last edited by Husker13; 06-06-2012 at 03:19 AM. Reason: I measured when I got home
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Do you know what kind of par readings you will get at that distance?

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

When I did my initial test to see if the track lighting would work I was getting around 100. That was without water and only 2 lights. Once the tank is filled I will rent a PAR meter again and see what I am getting. I am shooting for low to medium light, but we'll see what I get and then that will determine the next step. Do I go CO2 or do I dim the lights?

I am also still trying to figure out moon lights. WAC doesn't make a brushed nickle track in the 2 circuit variety so I will have to come with something different. The thought did cross my mind to use some lights from rapid led and mount them on or next to the track, with 30deg lenses, they might do the trick, and not light up the whole room.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think you will need co2 if your par is that high with only 2 bulbs going. I guess you could always work the dimmers. I have wanted to do that look for a whole but not going to work with little kiddos around....

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My original idea was to make a "box" in the ceiling that would house the lights so you didn't really see them at all, but his way I only made 4 small holes in the ceiling which would be easy to patch if I were to move.

I have two kids, hopefully they won't want to swim in it. My kids have been pretty good with our fish tanks so far, except for the Clorox bleach pen incident, thank goodness for multiple tanks.

"You only know what you know."
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My wife is way more concerned than I am, joke is on her though, my son is only 18 no this and LOVES tanks...she can't say no to more/bigger tanks when everyone in her family is gangs up on her...

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rballi View Post
My wife is way more concerned than I am, joke is on her though, my son is only 18 no this and LOVES tanks...she can't say no to more/bigger tanks when everyone in her family is gangs up on her...
18 months*

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm very jealous of your rimless tank! Cool light setup too.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great looking setup. You definitely need to turn down the power of use CO2 with that PAR reading. I doubt it will drop much with water in the tank from what I have read.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2012, 01:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Welcome to an elite lighting club

After having my PAR38 Track up for 4mos now(link in Sig line)
I think if I had your light fixtures, I would move lights #1 and #3 to the edge of the track and angle them ar 45degrees giving a cross fire eddect on the tank. Fixture #2 could be moved left or right depending on the planting.

PAR38 bulbs create an interesting pyramid of light strength. I had a large planting of Crypts directly under one bulb and you can see the growth pattern on my link.

There will be a learning curve as you plant the tank. I do think this can create a more dramatic aquascape than completely even lighting across the whole tank.

Nice effort so far, looking forward to see how this developes.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am finally ready to order plants. What do you think of this list? I tried to pick from the beginners plant list. But I did throw in a few medium requirement plants.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture4.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	49008  

"You only know what you know."

Tags
par 38, par38, sunsun, track lighting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode