Axl's 6x2x2 Planted Discus Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Axl's 6x2x2 Planted Discus Tank

Hi,
This is the start of my new journal for my planted discus tank. Here's are a couple of pics of tank and cabinet with the led lights on. I have setup the driftwood on what i think is going to work and would appreciate any feedback on what changes should be made. The cabinet was raw pine when i purchased it and my old man has painted it gloss white, the light stands where made by me and dad as well. I hoping to get started next long weekend and get this baby up and going. Here's a few specs

Which setup would you go with??? as Im a little confused on which way to go. There will be plenty of needle java fern, moss and anubius over the driftwood as well.

Any comments would be great to help me make a decision

Tank: 6x2x2
Lights: 2 x Led lights with 74 x 3w Cree led's with a mixture of white and red
Filtration: Eheim 2180 & Eheim 2217
Heater: 300w Jager
36w Uv Sterilizer
Co2 with ph controller, Sera 1000 reactor hooked up by a Eheim 1210 pump
Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil, clay balls, bacter 100, super clear, tourmaline, penac w & P
Fish: 12 Red Turqiouse, Rummy nose tetras, blue rams,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
i like the driftwood in the last picture on the left, maybe just have that with some great smaller lava or lace rocks placed just right.... just a recommendation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah thats the way I was leaning too, would you keep the big piece towards the left hand side to keep the right side open???

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

In my opinion the drift wood on the left does not work with the one on the right. It seems like conflicting styles. The one on the right is a keeper!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
i would keep the larger branch type dw on the left, no dw on the right, maybe some nicely placed stones you dont want two dw focal points with discus, plus it looks too symmetrical, you dont want that, especially in a discus tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah i will probably keep the big piece to the left and keep the right side open with a creek style through the middle with rocks either side with moss on them.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by axl10 View Post
Yeah i will probably keep the big piece to the left and keep the right side open with a creek style through the middle with rocks either side with moss on them.
good call. It had to be one or the other. If you like the one on the left that go with it. A big open space on the right will look great. Great start bud.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogan View Post
good call. It had to be one or the other. If you like the one on the left that go with it. A big open space on the right will look great. Great start bud.
I like both pieces mate, but i have to make a decision on which 1 to use. The 1 on the left i like because of its size and i will put needle java fern and moss on it as well plus some Anubius. a creek on the right will look good won't it?? There will be rocks either side with moss on them.

Thanks for all you help guys
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by axl10 View Post
I like both pieces mate, but i have to make a decision on which 1 to use. The 1 on the left i like because of its size and i will put needle java fern and moss on it as well plus some Anubius. a creek on the right will look good won't it?? There will be rocks either side with moss on them.

Thanks for all you help guys
Its your awesome tank bud. Sounds like you have a good plan on where to go with it. In the end its up to you. I personally have never liked the 'creek' look, but thats just my preference. I think covering the dw with plants and leaving the substrate pure sand with no plants would look SICK.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
i LOVE that stump piece on the right.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 03:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to barosanu
More details about your lamp, please! Thanks anticipate.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Good suggestions here, Axl
Whatever you decide to do, your tank and stand will make for a superb discus tank - I'm sure it will look awesome ! Great job so far - keep the pics coming.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Love the looks of the tank

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here are a few details about the lights, there are 2 of them and they don't get hot at all which is awesome. I imported these lights straight from China

1500 long
19 x 3w Cree White
18 x 3w Cree Red

I love how i won't have to change globes and the money i will save on power.

Cheers Axl

Quote:
Originally Posted by barosanu View Post
More details about your lamp, please! Thanks anticipate.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, going to have the right side sloping higher to lower from the back 20cm to 7cm and are going to create triangle affect with the plants. going to be setting this up this weekend and hopefully plants arrive on Friday

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode