40B experiment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
40B experiment

I recently acquired a 40B, which is a tank I've wanted for years, but never had the time/space/resources to acquire. I'm pretty excited about setting it up - this is the largest volume I've had the opportunity to work with, so there will be a lot for me to learn in terms of set-up and dialing in. Most of the exciting parts are happening this weekend, when I'm due to get a whole bunch of plants in, but for now, I figured I'd show-and-tell my clumsily built light fixture.

I'm lighting this with home depot clamp lamps with 6500 K CFL bulbs. I don't have any experience with a tank of this depth, so I wanted a fixture where I could raise and lower the lights until I find a good height. Unfortunately, a hanging fixture is not an option in the room the tank is in, so I built a simple open canopy to hang the lights in. Carpentry is definitely not my field of expertise, but it came out reasonably well, I think.

Here it is unpainted and missing a lamp:

And here's the final product:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Darn good looking job, I think the height you have them at may be just about fight. Look at the CFL sticky in the lighting section to help you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
That looks real nice Sharp, I've seen a few people on here use the same lighting on 40B's an it seems to work very well.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice job on the DIY work
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, there was a shipping issue, and nothing got here when I wanted it to get here. (Thanks, UPS!) Fortunately, the sender was very kind, and resent my order with no hassle. My fish finally got to move out of the Rubbermaid container!

Here's the set-up:

Hardscape in:

And all assembled! (This took forever to plant.) Things are pretty yellow from the tannins, but I kind of like the look, to be honest.

Right side:

Left side:

Here's the full plant list for now:

Ludwigia repens
Ludwigia glandulosa
Crypt. spiralis
Crypt. wendtii green
Crypt. parva
Marsilea quadrifolia
Ozelot sword
Jungle val
Creeping Jenny var. Aurea

Part of the reason this tank is an experiment is because I'm trying a bunch of plants I haven't touched before. Red plants are new, and while I've always liked swords, they get way to big for the tanks I've kept in the past. I may yet come to regret that ozelot sword, but I'm willing to give it a chance - I'm perfectly fine with it dominating that corner. Hopefully, ozelots really do stay on the smaller side. I also really, really hope Ludwigia likes this tank, since if it dies, it'll take half the scape with it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Wow. That's incredible.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Neato!

If you don't have to swim to 'scape, it just aint big 'nuff. - macclellan
10 Gallon Planted Tank
To all of you that own an Eheim-
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Killer tank, man. What's going in it fish-wise?

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks - I'm really liking this one so far. Here's hoping all the plants do well. I've got a pair of cockatoo apistos and a small school of trilineatus corys that will be going in there. I'm probably going to get a good-sized school of rummynoses to round it out. I saw marbled hatchets at the LFS a little while ago and had to talk myself out of them, but I'm 99% sure they'd quickly become expensive dog treats in an open-top tank like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode