Need some advice on water param. and more please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2012, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need some advice on water param. and more please!

About 26 gallons, 2x24W T5

I bought a java and a sword from Petsmart yesterday and today bought Aqueon Plant Food and Tetra EasyStrip 6in1 test strips.

The test strips told me I have 0 NO3, 0 NO2, very hard water (measured around 300 ppm), very alkaline, and around 8.4 pH.

Would I be wrong in saying that I need some nitrates, softer water, less alkalinity, and changes in those may lower my pH?

Here is my tank so far:

Here is the Java Fern. It came in one bunch but after examining it I found multiple Rhizomes so I separated them.

Here is the Sword
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Unless ur keeping African cichlids than ur gonna have to bring that pH and that hardness down. reverse osmosis water should bring the hardness down and some driftwoods and pear in the filter can bring the pH down. Really depends what kind of fish you want to keep.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Peat in the filter*

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does the hardness and pH affect the plants much?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

My water is very hard and it doesn't seem to affect the plants at all. Most plants will adapt to a wide range of conditions. Some more sensitive species will have a very narrow range of pH that they will grow well in, otherwise the may stunt or not grow well. Most tropical fish require a more acidic pH lower tha 7 but some can adapt to a pH higher than 7.

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
War torn, those test strips aren't at all accurate or worth the money, unfortunately. Your best bet is to have a local fish store (not a big box one) test your gh/kh/ph or look into API's liquid test kits. As far as gH goes I don't think yours is too high for most plants to adapt to. A few softwater plants might not like it, but iirc those particular plants aren't really novice plants to start with. Plants do need nitrates, but with low light setups just feeding the fish is enough most of the time.

Here is a good to the point no nonsense write up on planted tank water: http://www.rexgrigg.com/waterchem.htm
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yep good link. Rex is the man

~Sam

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, do you think a pool store that tests pool water could give me that in depth of tests?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just go to your local fish store. They should be able to test your water angle give you a good explaination

~Sam

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Also should I bring up nitrates? My tank has no fish and is pretty new so I can't imagine there are nitrates for the plants to feed on.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode