Trying a Planted Tank (15g) Picture Update - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Trying a Planted Tank (15g) Picture Update

Hello there folks! Thanks for coming to my journal! Hopefully you all will be able to help me and give me tips and tricks as I go through this process! So I will be starting out with a little background information!

I currently have a 75g Mbuna tank that I have had for some time ( started with fry in a small tank and kept upgrading as my fry got larger ). I have every intention of keeping this tank for many years to come! However, I have slowly gotten the itch to try for a planted tank!

Over the past several weeks ( right at about a month or just a little longer ) I have been doing research and slowly gathering all my materials. With any hope and maybe a little luck, I have just about got all things covered and covered well!

My current equipment list is as such:
15g Aquarium (24x13x12)
AquaticLife Dual T5HO Light fixture (will be replacing the bulbs to something more plant friendly)
ZooMed Ultra Sun 6500k light
AquaticLife 6000k Light
Fluval 206 Canister Filter
GreenLeaf Aquariums Atomic Co2 Diffuser
Fluval Co2 88g kit: I know a lot of people would not recommend this, but after talking with the fiancee, we decided it would be better to try a small pressurized Co2 kit like this before going headfirst into a full fledged system. We managed to find this kit with an extra 4 cartridges for about $80 dollars so we decided that would be a good way to test things out. If it works well, we will be purchasing a full system .
ADA Aquasoil: 3L bag and a 9L Bag
Tools( of course )
Ferts: Purchased these from nilocg here on the site. Great guy honestly and a pleasure to do business with
Driftwood: I have one more piece of driftwood coming in so that I have some good options with how I want to scape .
Plastic Mesh for a moss wall background

So currently I think I have a lot of good going on here. Pictures coming in the next post. I would love any suggestions for equipment I could be missing or anything else you can think of! I have done some research on similar PH and difficulty plants and created a list which I will post on here in a
mitch p is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112



















mitch p is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Now I wanted your all's opinions on this next step. I have the filter and tank set up and good to go for whenever I set up the rest of the tank. I have taken the output of the filter over the Co2 Atomizer in hopes of diffusing it more with the flow of the water. The output is about 2-1/2 to 3 inches underwater so I don't believe it will be causing much surface movement. What do you all think of this?




The intake is on the other side of the tank:

mitch p is offline  
 
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,049
Your lighting is in the "too high" catagory, see charts here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

What ferts are you planning on dosing exactly?. Also, with 24 hour co2, you will need some surface agitation, especially at night to keep oxygen levels up for your fish.

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
livingword26 is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
Your lighting is in the "too high" catagory, see charts here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...t5-t12-pc.html

What ferts are you planning on dosing exactly?. Also, with 24 hour co2, you will need some surface agitation, especially at night to keep oxygen levels up for your fish.
Ok, how would I go about reducing the problem with this? Build something to raise the light fixture above the tank? Or perhaps purchase one?

As for ferts I am using Nilocg's Liquid Ferts. Comes with a comprehensive Macro and Micro solution. This can be seen at this thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sp...ice-match.html
mitch p is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,049
I would follow the guidelines on the lighting sticky I posted the link on, to determine how high your lights should be hung. There are lots of ways you could hang them. Make a shelf the hight you want them, and mount the lights under the shelf. You could run a small screw in the sides (making sure not to touch anything inside, and possibly voiding your warrenty) and get a cable or some fine chain from a hardware store to hang it fro the ceiling. There are some hanging kits out there also. I can't comment on your ferts. I have always used dry ferts.

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
livingword26 is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
I would follow the guidelines on the lighting sticky I posted the link on, to determine how high your lights should be hung. There are lots of ways you could hang them. Make a shelf the hight you want them, and mount the lights under the shelf. You could run a small screw in the sides (making sure not to touch anything inside, and possibly voiding your warrenty) and get a cable or some fine chain from a hardware store to hang it fro the ceiling. There are some hanging kits out there also. I can't comment on your ferts. I have always used dry ferts.

Hmm, I believe what I am gonna do is this: I am going to build a box of wood, about half the height of the stand currently and place it behind the stand. Since the stand is caddy-corner there is plenty of room to hide it behind the stand. I am gonna build this box and buy on of the AquaticLife hanging fixture poles and attach to that. I will then be able to go as much as 3 and a half feet above the tank. I will be picking up the wood shortly to start the build!
mitch p is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Got an update today ! Finally got all the material to build my shelf that will sit behind the tank and allow me to use the Aquatic Life fixture hanger. Not painted yet but my Fiancee is gonna be handling that cause she wants it to be crazy colors lol. Turns out its gonna give me a better place to also rest my Co2 and some other stuff so it is gonna be great! Killing a few birds with 1 one stone! Now to wait for the light hangers to come in and get that set up. Then...its on to plants!








And this last pic is unrelated but seeing as its my first ever wood-working DIY I was pretty happy about the turn out

mitch p is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Got my Fixture Hangers today so now on to finding the perfect plants!
mitch p is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 AM
~~~
Algae Grower
 
~~~'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arroyo Grande, California
Posts: 94
I love your cat.
~~~ is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (37/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,001
+1 on that cat. and the lolcat. love him too.

also, you might want to try electrical conduit screwed to the back of your stand for a sleeker look... could've been much easier than the box (google 'DIY light hanging conduit the planted tank' or something like that)... aaand not to mention i'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I guess since you have that lovely creation all built up and lolcat-ed, I guess I'll just stick around and see. Pictures?

btw this is a very nice start. all the equipment all at once? all new? phew. you must live in a very understanding home.

RAOK club #37


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
aweeby is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweeby View Post
+1 on that cat. and the lolcat. love him too.

also, you might want to try electrical conduit screwed to the back of your stand for a sleeker look... could've been much easier than the box (google 'DIY light hanging conduit the planted tank' or something like that)... aaand not to mention i'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I guess since you have that lovely creation all built up and lolcat-ed, I guess I'll just stick around and see. Pictures?

btw this is a very nice start. all the equipment all at once? all new? phew. you must live in a very understanding home.
bahaha so true, the lady is a very big fan of aquariums xD. I just have been taking my time getting all the right stuff together to do it the right way and its starting to get to that point of looking into ordering plants


Pictures the minute I get the light fixture up
mitch p is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Well guys I have completed the fixture and am still tidying up here and there. Also my CAL Aqua Nano Co2 Drop Checker came in today . Here are some pictures, I have the lights about 14 inches above the tank now. According to the Par v Distance thread here, that should put me right around high/med light if I am not mistaken.

Enjoy!











The last one is a picture of how it is set up in my room, kind of caddy corner
mitch p is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
Zefrik's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch p View Post
Well guys I have completed the fixture and am still tidying up here and there. Also my CAL Aqua Nano Co2 Drop Checker came in today . Here are some pictures, I have the lights about 14 inches above the tank now. According to the Par v Distance thread here, that should put me right around high/med light if I am not mistaken.

Enjoy!











The last one is a picture of how it is set up in my room, kind of caddy corner
Yay! tank looks awesome!

I like your room. You can watch tv while you use your computer. I see you have a logitech g15 keyboard. Do you play any games? If you do you should totally hook your pc up to that screen! that would be awesome!
Zefrik is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canton, Georgia
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
Yay! tank looks awesome!

I like your room. You can watch tv while you use your computer. I see you have a logitech g15 keyboard. Do you play any games? If you do you should totally hook your pc up to that screen! that would be awesome!
Of course I do! I am currently obsessed with League of Legends. What do ya play? Thanks for the compliment. I have been gathering all this to do a proper tank for a while now. Just now starting to come together all that is left is Plants!!!!
mitch p is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome