The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mythin's Mr. Aqua 12 Gallon Long (Flooded 9/13/2012!)

60K views 97 replies 35 participants last post by  sunyang730 
#1 · (Edited)
Yep, another 12 gallon long thread. After seeing what everyone was doing with theirs and the cool shape of the tank I had to get one. I just got my other tank set up too, its been less than a month and Im already dropping down too much money on this new tank, oh well life is short.

Still trying to decide what I want to do with this tank, I haven't kept fish in a while, so I definitely am leaning towards minimal iwagumi with more swimming space and really short foreground plants.

Just got bored and set up a hardscape quickly just so I could snap some photo's. These are probably the stones Ill end up using but not the final hardscape layout, still working on that.

Equipment list so far:
Mr Aqua 12 Gallon Long
Brightwell Florin Volcanit Rio Escuro-XF
Some cheap T5HO dual 36" light 78w
Seiryu stones
Got a custom stand coming in tomorrow as well.

Planned Flora:
I am gonna be using pretty much exclusively e. hydropiper as my lawn, and maybe some s. repens.

I may need bigger stones?

See less See more
#73 ·

Hope the UG grow like crazy!
knowing ug, im going to have to give it a haircut shortly, it likes to get really long and i need it to fill in a bit more before it decides to do the whole get really long thing.

I wish you good luck with the transition phase. Such a nice layout.
Thank you! this is my first time doing such a long dsm, and my co2 isnt in til saturday, but i figure a few days wont hurt, im just doing daily water changes and excel overdosing at the moment.

#78 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Congrats on the flood! Looking Great!
Thanks man, I cant wait to see your FTS flooded!

Looks awesome. Where did you get your Florin Volcanit from? I have been looking for it for weeks now and no one seems to carry it.
I get that question a lot, my LFS carries it ( fish gallery in houston), its about $55 for a 15 lb bag, so not cheap, although when I purchased my first 2 bags it was only $43, they raised the price up recently.

I also just tested my water today, the tank has cycled in 24 hours, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20-30ppm of nitrate. Pretty awesome I just need to figure out what kind of fish i want to get now!

#80 ·
Thanks! yeah, I read every page of the 12 gallon long club thread, but I had already decided a few pages in that I had to get one, seeing all the other journals really convinced me, im happy i got one, i want to get a second one!

I just got fauna!!

10 ember tetra's
10 neon green tetra's

The embers are awesome schoolers and are barely spooked at all, i can get right up in their face and they just chill, they are so awesome. They aslo look a lot better in person than pictures seem to do them justice on the internet.

#81 · (Edited)
FTS:

My dogs new hobby.

Really got to say I am pleased with the ember tetra's, they are not too skitish, and the school really really well. The green neons are good schoolers too, sometimes they will both school as one big shoal, sometimes they will segregate, really like how this tank is coming together. I also got co2 hooked up now, keeping an eye on the drop checker so I dont gas my new tank inhabitants.

#85 ·
The e. hydropiper melted long ago, most of what you see is HC, there is a little hydropiper left, but i have another little patch growing emersed in a tub, I may move it to the tank soon now that I have co2 going and see how it does, it did not DSM at all though, but it may have been because all the hydropiper I bought was already submerged and it didnt like converting back to emersed.

Very sharp mythin!
Thanks bitfuul!

Love the tank!

The scape is truly artistic. Even my non-aquarium-obsessed friends appreciate it.

Where did you get such good rock in Houston?
Like almost everything else in the tank I got it from someone off TPT, the only rocks in houston I could find that looked ok were volcanic lace rock, I do want to hit up ADG for some unzan stone though, that looks nice to work with.

#89 ·
Very nice Mythin! Did you have any problems with the UG melting when you flooded the tank?

I'm setting up a 20g long with UG and I'm scared that they all would melt. I planted a small clump in my 60-F and they melted in 1 week.

You think I should blast the Co2 then I flood the tank? I'm not going to have any fish or inverts in there for about a month after I flood anyways.

#90 · (Edited)
I had a little bit of melt, but that was more due to me having to use H2O2 to take out some BGA I had cultivated during my DSM. The UG in the area's that I treated with H2O2 died, other than that I got very little melt once I flooded. I got a little bit of diatoms that lasted a few days. After I flooded I waited a month and a half or so before I gave all the UG a haircut, and now its growing in nice and thick. It takes about a month to recover going either way, from emersed to submerged or vice versa. It will take a month before you notice any growth, meaning you will probably notice melt rather than growth, but after that initial month, whatever UG survives, it should start spreading quite quickly.

#97 ·
Ive decided to re-do this tank completely, After I moved into my new apartment most of my UG floated up, due to substrate moving during my move and I decided I want to start over with this tank anyway. I am selling off all the seiryu and HC and UG in this tank, and maybe the substrate too. I am going to set this up as a sulawesi cardinal tank, perhaps a planted sulawesi cardinal tank, my tap water is 8.0 out the tap, and ive always wanted cardinals so im gonna give it a go. I have my seiryu rock for sale on APC if anyone is interested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.