My first planted tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first planted tank!

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all! This tank used to be a salt water, but I had to downsize to a nano, and decided I could afford to have a planted tank! I started out with some fancy goldfish, and even though they nibble, I thought it would be nice for them to have a natural kind of home! I also have some parrot cichlids, which I know are controvercial, but I wanted to give them a good home also! Where they were, was awful! Anyway, they hit it off ok, and no one seems to get hurt, but do a little chasing each other, which livens up the tank! This is an ever-changing work in progress; mostly when the stresses of life get to me, my arms are in the aquarium! Some of you may relate! Anyway, here it is! Let me know what you think! I've still got a couple of plants coming in the mail; one for hanging on the driftwood at the top, and one for between the two in the center! Looking forward to seeing how they look! Oh, a lot of my plants came from our local lake and streams! They seem to do well!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	47785  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Naturally collected, that's pretty cool. Like the mix of reds and greens. Only thing I'd change is the blue background. I'd rather have black over blue.

Any photos of the nano?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very nice looking tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! Here is a picture of the eight gallon nano. The picture is a little dark. I have an LED bulb over it, and it lights it up pretty good, but the settings on the camera are dark for some reason this morning.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	47809  

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Very pretty

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! My tank is sort of low tech too. I have Three full size fluorescent bulbs, that run twelve hours; I also have a DIY CO2, which I know isn't enough, but with a tiny in the tank aquarium filter, blowing the bubbles across, it seems to do ok. I also have a canister filter for up to a 200 gallon tank, with a UV bulb built into it! My fish, are six fancy goldfish, (will cut down the numbers when they get larger) three parrot cichlids, three cory cats, one clown pleco, a few tetras, and a killifish, whose name is bigfoot, because he as survived jumping out twice, and being tramped on in our bare feet! Top has been covered since! I sat one day, and watched him leap out of the water, and catch a fly, and fall back into the tank, and decided it would be in my best interest to cover it that day!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh, and the canister filter, which I got for my birthday, had a surprise surface skimmer on it! Wondered a bit what it was, until assembled, because the instructions are translated kind of strangely!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very colorful tank !
I know generally ppl dont use goldfish for planted tanks, i personally have a thing for goldies cuz these were my first ever fish. As long as they dont munch on ur plants, way to go !
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They do munch on some of them, but since it is their home, it is their decision I guess, lol! They don't eat enough of them to do a lot of damage!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, took advice, and flipped to black! Look better?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	47815  

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2 View Post
Better the colors stand out more
I did the same, and flipped my black background to the blue side.. LOL
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate2 View Post
Much better! I didn't know those backgrounds have 2 sides LOL. Pretty smart.

Nice nano!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Planted Member

Looks nice! I used to have parrot fish and they dug up everything so I couldn't have plants, hope you won't have this problem.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I have some heavy duty rocks in there, a cave in the right side, and the plants are mostly up against rock with stones on top of the root systems, so they don't get close to the plants much! My substrate is a mix of sand, and gravel too! They cleaned out the cave, but the arrangement doesn't allow them too close to the plants roots! So far!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Both tanks look great, and pretty impressive for your first, I would love to be able to collect local plants but most of the best spots here are state or national parks, I know we have lots of good native species, even a larger leaf Fissidens in the Potomac.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode