20 gal long, a starter tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
20 gal long, a starter tank

I'm relatively new to the planted tank world. I started running this tank about 2 years ago. It started out w/ just playsand as a substrate, some fake plants and sandstone. Later, I removed all the fake plants and added some gravel. The first live plants I added were amazon swords. Not the best first choice, but I already had them so what the hey. As I learn more, and earn more, I'll be adding better lighting, possibly injected co2 and some different plants.'

Heres a few shots from before:

very first pic of this tank(may, 2003):

w/ the first amazon swords (oct, 2004):

last month (april 15,2005):
I recently added some crypt. wendtii, dwarf saggitaria, and camboba. I put in a couple pieces of wood I treated previously, and some chunks of peat.

2 days ago (may 17, 2005):
The current fish inhabitants are 3 guppies, 3 sticklebacks, and 1 fathead minnow. The pics are a little dark, sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

added a few plecos

- Join today!

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very dark, mysterious, strange (in a nice way) and not a natural tank. When I look at the tank, I can see traces of human civilization there. ;-
)

What is the light level for the tank?

Suggestion :-
1) Perhaps more plants?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Yes, the tank be planted a little bit more, I wouldn't have the foreground just scattered with different ornaments and different size rocks. I would go with a nice, basic, regular natural plant substrate like eco-complete or flourite.

Where in Okemos, Michigan are you?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the replys fellas,

I truly think dense overplanting is not natural looking as well as mixing species of plants from different regions of the world (Not that mine aren't).The pillars and the skull are, yes, unnatural to a certain extent. I won't add many more plants cus I dont' want it to look completely full of like 15 different plants. I'd really like it to look like the bottom of a river, which definitely doesn't have an flourite or eco complete type substrate to it. A river has the different size gravel deposits, sand and not highly overgrown. Although extremely beautiful, I'm not into the "garden" type tanks most of you guys are into. I'll prob put something tall accross the back to add to the depth of the tank. The amazon swords have doubled in size and so have the crypt wendtii the tall fuzzy plant, not sure exact species (camboba?), is not flourishing (spreading out) as well as the others.

I haven't put my lighting hood together yet. I'll have 2 24" fixtures and will look into daylight flourescents (not sure what K yet) but that'll def liven up the tank. There are dark spots on both ends that I'd like to build up, maybe try some smaller species of lilys and let the dwarf sags spread out.

I've recently moved the decos around and they are less visible like in the first pic, more like this:
I have planned to take them all out.
I moved the smaller driftwood and layed it down in the foreground, I think it looks much better. The tank isn't really as dark as the pic shows but does have the dark spots on the ends.

I have a nice 45 gal (48x18x12) I'm turning into another river tank for my plecos. That'll prob use eco complete, some ground cover, mosses, java ferns, driftwood, etc.

jdinh04- I live in town, behind meijer on hamilton. how bout you?

- Join today!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Thats cool, well like we all say "our tank only depends on us and we can do what ever we like in which we are comfortable wit it"

I live in BriarWood Neighborhoods, just off of Okemos Rd. and Tammarack. We should meet sometime, how old are you?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
chadly- is that a gold nuget? If it is how long have you had it? I never seem to have luck with them. GRRR

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ummm it's a goldy/sunshine pleco. I guess gold nuggets are green and yellow.

- Join today!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it looks fantastically natural, and I like that you've chosen to put a few plants right up toward the front of the tank. I do this often as well, and it gives a nice impression of depth and compells the viewer to get up close and try to see what's behind it all...rather than simply using plants as a backdrop or diarama.

The sparseness of the plants, different grain sizes in sand and stones, the wood...it looks great. My only concern is the plecos getting large and laying waste to the tank (uprooting what you've got and defecating all over the place).

"I go right into the aquascaping without any design."
-Takashi Amano
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks skylsdale,

the plecos are only temporary. I have had to do almost daily water changes to remove waste. I added a melon sword which leaves are now pitted w/ holes . I may be redecorating soon as I will be setting up my pleco tank.

- Join today!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode