Kwheeler's Low-Tech Nano eclipse: Nature Aquariumish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Kwheeler's Low-Tech Nano eclipse: Nature Aquariumish

I found myself in a horrible mood this morning. What better way to remedy a foul demeanor than to create an aquascape? Well it worked and I decided to ressurect a long forgotteb project in a little 6-7? Gallon eclipse bowfront someone gave to me a couple years ago. It currently houses whats left of a nanofish community tank I used to have, 1 pygmy cory, 1 borara brigittae, and 1 male endler species #2. I need to dig up some old planted tanks pics from when I first started its pretty funny to see then and now.

Pic is kinda blurry and what not from water change and rescape. This isnt set in stone, just a guideline. Gonna tie fissdens on the wood and get some stones in there around the base of the sticks. Not sure on plants, I need to replace the old bulb and see how bright it will be.
Probably moss, anubias, maybe ferns, perhaps some dhg if I can get it to grow well. We will see what hapoens I have a couple different ideas.

I plan on using diy co2 in this one, its pretty stable if you keep the bottles fresh and this isnt going to be all high tech anyway. Not too mention im too broke and strapped for time to go high tech with anything.

If I can find a place to get some nice quality cpds at a good price thats what I want for stocking, if not then some easy neos or both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kwheeler91; 05-17-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
If you leave out the DHG you could have a good low light tank and even keep the gravel, otherwise I would consider a different substrate. It looks like a good project an I like the wood.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I could also go with MM... Or even just moss rocks. I just know it needs some kinda foreground coverage.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Returning. Videotapes.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
Some sort of massive crypt would look great in there, bro!

Nice hardscape, bud! Hope that your day is getting better!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

You and your crypts.... I was thinking actual lucens and not what I thought was lucens lol. maybe vesuvius amongst the wood though instead of the crypts. its not looking like I want in the 55 and it might look cool sticking up outta the wood with moss. I just want to keep everything green I know that much, for now anyway.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

nice wood placement!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
nice wood placement!
Thats what she said. Sorry had to do it

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I figured someone would, thats why I didnt go with my original planned wording lol

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

All cleared up and fissidens tied on. First time ive ever tied moss so we will see how this goes. just sold most of the fissidens I had so I scrounged some up from filter intakes and trimmed a little to get enough to get started.

should I put java moss on the stones?

Im considering leaving it as is, maybe some more rocks in the middle of the branches. They would need to bigger
than what I have though. Gonna have to go the beach and see if cant find some bigger ones.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Returning. Videotapes.

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz
No. Do not put java moss on the stones. I think that it is really nice the way it is....it'll be interesting to see how the fissidens fills in over the coming weeks. Keep it simple; it looks really pretty and relaxing in there! Nice scape, bro!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks man! I just feel like there is something missing though, maybe a marsilea carpet in the middle? Gotta brainstorm.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
You could do a moss carpet between the stones so they're peaking up above the carpet.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
The Fissidens will fill in nice but try to trim it often and it will spread faster and it looks nice when it's trimmed to conform to the wood.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
You could do a moss carpet between the stones so they're peaking up above the carpet.
Im out of fissidens for now though and im not sure how I would do that anyway, cant afford ss mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
The Fissidens will fill in nice but try to trim it often and it will spread faster and it looks nice when it's trimmed to conform to the wood.
I agree, pretty much stops creeping if it gets shaded. Also attaches better if it gets trimmed often.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 03:39 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Im out of fissidens for now though and im not sure how I would do that anyway, cant afford ss mesh

I agree, pretty much stops creeping if it gets shaded. Also attaches better if it gets trimmed often.
If you can find lava rock gravel, simply tie small clumps of moss around those and place where ever.

SS mesh is overrated, great for selling plants, not so great for long term growth ime.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode