Re-done 10gal planted shrimp tank. Almost first aquascape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Re-done 10gal planted shrimp tank. Almost first aquascape

Well, whilst waiting for my new lights for my 82 gallon, I got to work on our small 10 gal Juwel tank. I've upgraded the lights to 2,2wpg.

The substrate is Fluval shrimp. occupants at the moment are 14 sakura cherry shrimps, and 5 Endler guppys.

The guppy's will be transferred to another tank when I get hold of my 10 Crystal red shrimp, and transfer 4 sakuras to my mates tank.

Plants were added yesterday, and I still need a tad more substrate in the left bottom corner...

I dose daily with Liquid co2 (easyalife easy-carbo) and at the weekly 30% waterchange, i use liquid ferts (easylife Pro-fito).

Here's hoping my small surviving tufts of eleocharis parvula survives in this tank... and spreads... I intend to steal back some patches of it from this tank, once I get the light sorted out in the big tank..

Comments, questions and feedback?

//Calle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Sweet tank! Looks like a coniferous forest for sure. Hope thats what you were going for

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yep, that's the look I'm aiming for, I've even added two small fern looking plants
I figured this look would give the shrimp lots of "tree-trunks" to climb around on, as I hadn't thought they were such fervent swimmers... I just hope the grass will spread..

I'm thinking of adding some more stones and logs on the "ground", with javamoss attached, but I'm afraid that might spread onto the substrate...??

//Calle

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
I would do stones before logs, but thats just me. needs sone christmas moss to give the trees that pine look. Unless you dont want moss on the substrate for some reason, go for it!

And even if the grass doesnt fill in, pine forest dont really grow grass anyway, too acidic.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2012, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice looking redo
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lovely tank!!

I would just add some more rocks like in the background and put some moss on them.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys!

I'm actually considering getting rid of the background, and replacing it with a plain black one.

Oddly, I think there's something, wrong, in my scape, as it doesn't project the serenety and tranquility I was hoping for. I got a couple of more rocks, so I'll buy some more javamoss, and add 2-3 atleast.

Any suggestions on how to make it a bit more calming, or should I wait for everything to fill in before mucking about too much?

//Calle
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle View Post
Any suggestions on how to make it a bit more calming?
I think it looks very calming. Perhaps a Lilly would help you feel it.

What type of wood is in the tank?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah, time for my shame. It's not wood... It's a waterproof plastic vine for terrariums.... That I cut up, re-siliconed and bent stands for

You can actually see the twist in the bottom left corner, where I intend to add morre substrate....

Could't find any decent roots

//Calle

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode