Finalplay's 29g High Tech Planted/Shrimp Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)
Finalplay's 29g High Tech Planted/Shrimp Tank

During my last move I pretty much lost EVERYTHING. I had around 9 different species of Erio's, a bunch of stems, a herd of yellow shrimp, and the largest loss of all was my 3 Extreme BKK's. I have since recovered and am currently trying out something new. I found these rocks at my LFS and loved the shapes and textures so I grabbed them. Planning on these Erios carpeting nicely for me.

Equipment:
Eheim 2217 Canister Filter
2 T5HO Bulbs (27W I think)
Inline heater
Inline UV sterilizer
Inline C02 (GLA Ultimate system)
Katrina Powerhead
Lily pipes crafted by Onefang

Flora:
29 Erio Parkeri via Joraan and Geniusdudekiran (Ive had the rest for too long to remember who gave them to me)
Crypt Keei via Looking4roselines (still recovering from move but it IS recovering thankfully)

Fauna:
7 Orange Zebra Oto's via Msjinkzd (She really is amazing)
6 Amano Shrimp via Msjinkzd
Red Ramshorn Snails via Loachutus
12 S Grade CBS via Speedie

Full Tank Shot via Iphone:

Would absolutely LOVE some feedback on this scape. I would like to add some stems but am currently unaware as to where I'd place them or what species I'd choose. Thanks for viewing. Planted Tank FTW!!!

Special Thanks to LauralleeBP and Timwag2001 for helping me get started and addicted to all of this.

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.

Last edited by Finalplay10; 05-16-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I actually just recovered from an extreme hair algae break out which is why some of the larger Parkeri look awful. Too get an idea of how bad it was imagine String algae stretching from the top of the left rock all the way to the intake (kinda blocked by the screen glare but it's to the right of the tree on my left screen) and yes the hobbit planted tank is my background.

I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My second Addiction:

Disclaimer: If you have not already tried it then AVOID it at all costs !!! Extremely Addictive !!!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright little update here. Looking for some Buce's I've been trying to find for awhile to fill out the right side a bit. Possibly behind the flat rock. I haven't really decided yet but if I can find them I'll find a place for them. Here are some pics of the Parkeri's showing some growth.

Left Side: Can even see some of my CBS and Orange Zebra Oto's

Right Side: That Amano NEVER leaves the top of that rock. He's like king of the not so high mountain or something.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalplay10 View Post
I actually just recovered from an extreme hair algae break
Have you tested your nitrates? For imbalance of nitrates caused string algae in my tank.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah good call on the nitrates as they definitely are a likely culprit although I believe the outbreak was due to gross negligence on my part (Nitrates were close to 0 at last weeks testing). I lost a lot of my live stock due to an Excel issue I had which basically torched my algae crew. I find that when I have combination of oto's and amanos I dont have algae issues but the second I remove them it becomes a serious issue. Moral of the story is when using Excel one must do larger water changes are everything will die. I just do not use it anymore. I was only using to spot treat algae but still definitely not worth the risk involved.

Come August when I make yet another move (last until I buy a house hopefully /fingers crossed) I plan on doing quite a bit with this tank. I plan on adding two 2217 canisters to create an inline canister filtration system w/ a purigen reactor at the end. I'm also currently working on a project that will use the excess flow from my Marineland Magnum 350 by converting it into electricity via a mini micro hydro power idea I have had going through my head for awhile. It's not going to do much more than reduce flow and generate minimal amounts of electricity but it will be fun to build and see if I can get it to work. I get bored sometimes....

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Moral is when using Excel one must do larger water changes are everything will die.
I use Excel and only do monthly water changes. I think your problem with Excel is that you have fauna that are sensitive to it. Thus you need to decrease the dosage.

I am thinking of getting a Marineland Magnum 350 for my 29 G. Do you think it will work if I don't open the valves 100%?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Or just not use it EVER. I have the issue under control sans excel now so barring another ridiculous outbreak I should be alright on the algae issue. Another issue is I have ALOT of light on this tank. Hoppy likes to inform me of this every time he sees my set up and he's not wrong. I just keep trying to find ways around the issue and he keeps correcting me.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Another issue is I have ALOT of light on this tank. Hoppy likes to inform
Have you tried
taking a bulb out
putting a screen under the light
using floating plants
????
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All except floating plants although that might be a solid idea. I'll look into it. Thanks

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quick updates:

Pic of one of the three CBS Crowns I just received from Liam AKA Mordalphus

And here is a updated FTS

Once the Parkeri starts to split I will just leave it instead of splitting the stems and they will form a "bush" like plant. I've done this before with great success (ie; 6-7 Parkeris forming one "bush" like plant. When they all do this it will create a nice lush Parkeri Carpet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode