First attempt at a planted tank... here goes nothin - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First attempt at a planted tank... here goes nothin

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of setting up my first planted tank, so we'll see how it goes! I just moved into my new house, but my father was very into marine aquariums so I have a bit of experience with dosing and lighting and keeping things alive in general. For right now all I have is substrate and my temporary light, as my plants are still on the way. I took these pictures last night right after I put the water in, so it still looks really cloudy, but it has since cleared up. My plants should arrive soon, and in a couple weeks I'll be ordering more along and getting some fish once the cycle is complete. This journal is as much for me as it is for yall... It'll be nice to see how far I've come, assuming everything works out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-08 10.23.21.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	47142  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Good luck
-enjoy
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 02:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Sounds great. Good luck.

-Sean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My plants have arrived. Unfortunately, my AH supply 55w light is still on its way, as are the parts for my CO2 system, so currently my goal is simply to keep these suckers alive until I can build them something that they might actually like. Also, planting them made the water murky again, so the pictures are kinda hard to see. I'm almost to the breaking point on this crappy power filter in the back... I'm thinking its time for an eheim classic haha.

Btw, thats two wisteria in the first picture, and a java fern and a dwarf hairgrass in the second picture. The tank has a lot more light than the pictures make it seem... the pictures seem almost unlighted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-05-10 10.46.24.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	47266  

Name:	2012-05-10 10.46.33.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	47268  

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was worried that the cloudyness in my water was limiting the already limited light to the new plants, so I decided to purchase some SeaChem Clarity. For the record, it did not work at all. Luckily the addition of filter floss and time has helped quite a bit, and I ordered an eheim classic. It is my experience that these hang on tank cheapo filters aren't worth a dime, as the flow rate is hardly enough to provide enough water turnover to actually filter in times of need and isn't great enough to create enough flow in the tank to filter anything but the half of the tank its hung on.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by groberts80906 View Post
I was worried that the cloudyness in my water was limiting the already limited light to the new plants, so I decided to purchase some SeaChem Clarity. For the record, it did not work at all. Luckily the addition of filter floss and time has helped quite a bit, and I ordered an eheim classic. It is my experience that these hang on tank cheapo filters aren't worth a dime, as the flow rate is hardly enough to provide enough water turnover to actually filter in times of need and isn't great enough to create enough flow in the tank to filter anything but the half of the tank its hung on.
The can work well for biological filtration and keeping some movement on the water surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

The Emperor series is the best HOB filter, in my experience. They're like animals. Only they help reduce the bioload, not increase it.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Personally after using a canister filter I will never use another HOB filter again.
You can do just so much more with a canister like running inline heaters, uv lights, co2 reactors. To my knowledge they also allow for more media too.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very true.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm not condeming HOB filters in general, more just the cheapo aquaclear types. Canisters imo do provide more flexibility and generally provide more flow and allow inline accessories... I'm in the process of building an inline reactor and a little chamber to house a heater (actual inline heaters are expensive lol).
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My AH supply 55w power compact kit came today, man that reflector looks good. Set up a temporary fixture for it... unfortunately I made the sides a bit too long so I feel like its cutting off a bit of light, but I'll just add a spacer in between the reflector and the top of the fixture. Here's some pictures of the plants, they are still kinda alive, hopefully the light will help them out and the supplies for my CO2 system should be up and running by tuesday, which will really help them out as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-05-11 15.57.53.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	47375  

Name:	2012-05-11 15.58.00.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	47376  

Name:	2012-05-11 15.58.16.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	47377  

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 AM
mot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Two suggestions for you, Unbury the java fern roots or it will die and consider doing a water change and refill slowly so as not to disturb the substrate. Also putting a plate or bowl or plastic sheet to dissipate the water flow during the refill should help keep the water clear.

Hope it helps.

-JP
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I anchor it onto a rock or something? I missed the fact that the roots can't be buried when I bought it, should have done more research. Also, I'm going to tear down the tank tomorrow and add a layer of sand that I had in an old tank that was well washed and was in there for several years, so hopefully that will cut down on the cloudyness. I've done many a water change in the past couple days, and been very careful when refilling, but it hasn't seemed to help so hopefully the sand cap over the flourite/mineralized soil will help.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After tearing down the tank and adding the sand, my water quality has improved significantly. While still not as clear as I'd like it, it has been clearing up each day and its still much clearer than it ever was before I added the sand. I got a crypt. parva for a nice carpet plant from the LFS, and it seems to be doing well, and the Java Fern has been doing extremely well once I unburied the roots and with the new lights and a little fert dosing. However, I am concerned about the Wisteria. It seems to be doing alright, but its slowly shedding leaves with very little new growth. It seems as though all the growth has been in the root system, which is expected, but I'm worried about the loss of leaves. Is this normal until it gets a good established root system? And will it be difficult to move once the roots get established? I have it towards the front right now so I can see it easiest and because thats where I had the light focused when the water was extremely cloudy, but I want to move it to the back corner once it gets a little healthier.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-05-13 20.35.51.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	47522  

Name:	2012-05-13 20.36.13.jpg
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	47523  

Name:	2012-05-13 20.36.22.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	47524  

Name:	2012-05-13 20.36.30.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	47525  

Name:	2012-05-13 20.48.04.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	47526  

Attached Images

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Maybe the wisteria will perk up once I get my CO2 setup running on tuesday? The ASA adapter (i'm using a paintball system because I used to be big into paintballing and it cut down on costs significantly until I can invest in a fancy electrical ph driven system) hasn't come yet so I'm praying it'll come either tomorrow or tuesday!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode