Equipment:

Filter:
-Eheim Ecco 2232
-generic surface skimmer

Heater:
-generic glass heater rated for 10gal tank

Lights:
-DIY 2x24w T5HO w/ Workhorse 3 ballast suspended ~2' from substrate
(any estimates on the PAR value this will give me?)

CO2:
-5# CO2 w/ modified/improved/updated RG reactor
-cheapo Milwaukee Regulator/solenoid/bubble counter combo

Substrate:
-100% Seachems Flourite

Plants:
-Glosso carpet
-Amazon Sword
-always open to suggestions

Fish
-Tiger barb tank
-Ramshorn snails

EI-inspired dosing
also, Im going to try to include a time lapse (2 pics per day probably) of the tank growing in (I LOVE time lapse stuff)

Pics:

5/5/12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the tree look. I see that you plan on using glosso, where do you plan on putting that?

Also where do you think your going to put your sword?

Do you plan on leaving the tree effect bare or do you plan on adding moss or something else to it?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
itll be a pretty simple layout

and maybe a transitional plant in between the two (like blyxa or something or a rock outline/border around the base of the branch with moss covering the stones)

Im leaving the wood bare tho

only problem is that I dont have enough glosso to really get started...so a month growing some in a window sill and a few sprigs in the tank just because...

my tiger barbs keep uprooting it tho so Ill have to move them for a week or two until I seriously start and get it how I want

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This will be fun seeing it progress.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

havent really done much with this tank or journal...but my patches of glosso growing in the window sill are doing quite nicely...Ill probably have enough to seed/start this tank next month

in the meantime, I bought a par meter sensor and was surprised to discover how grossly underwhelming my lighting was

in my 2.5 tank (for a future betta...I had one, but he went carpet surfing one night...I found him the next morning still alive, with all of his fins dried out, stiff and crispy...) I had a spectacular level of 8PAR w/ (1)-13w spiral CFL about 1' from the substrate...so switched that out with a 23W and now have about 30PAR

in my 10gal (that I was using to grow out some vegetables for my garden before shutting it down in April or so when I moved the plants outside) w/ (3)-15W bulbs directly on top of the tank, I had about 100PAR...which would explain why I could grow things in that tank like gangbusters (before the algae would move in because I missed a week or two with work)...shutting off 1 bulb I got the par down to 20 w/o any water...which means when I fill it...itll be a low light setup ...its at 35PAR now

in the 20 gal in this journal...w/ the (2)-24W T5HO about 2' from the substrate

my par reading was an amazing 8PAR
bought some new bulbs and it bumped it up to an astounding 12PAR!!

so after draining the tank and playing with it a little..I got the par up to 40...then decided to fill the tank and see what happened...

my par actually went up to about 55 at the substrate level (did some research and adding water causes par level to go up and then drop SIGNIFICANTLY almost instantly)

so have par values of 50-60 at substrate level all around the tank

next up...Im going to move my fish...drain my tank and do a soil substrate capped with the flourite

wait a month and then transfer my glosso and an a. sword to the tank and then go from there

...til then

Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow...been a long time since a pic

so last week...removed fish, drained tank, removed flourite, placed soil, capped with flourite, added back fish (an inch of soil, 2 inches of flourite)

keeping my eye out for any ammonia spikes (havent gotten one...yet...but plenty of tannins leaching)

so after 2 WCs planted 3 amazon swords (UGH, petsmart looked good in the tube...but got it home and it was 99.99234% leaf, .00736% root so well see how it does or if it does a slow die off) and planted about 13 pairs of glosso leafs just to test my tank and see if itll be ready

lowered my lighting to around 30-45 par at the substrate level

all thats left is tuning in my CO2...drop checkers on both sides about 1" from the substrate (because I care most about levels there -want a THICK carpet and thats step #2 ...#1 being proper lighting and #3 being nutrients)

Full [dirty] Tank Shot

Fraternity, Inc. #33

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode