mebe007's first planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
mebe007's first planted tank

Hello everyone. Not really planted yet lol.

I just copied over from my intro that way I can keep track.

I am new here as well as to live plants. I have had aquariums all of my life. First experience with live plants was when i was like 7 and a small 20 gall tall tank. Needless to say they died. So anyways the most recent and still running tank is a 55 with an aragonite substrate and fake plants . It is currently stocked with 2 Jack Dempseys. 2 Firemouths, a Red Belly Pacu, and a Colombian Shark (catfish). Needless to say the jacks have out grown the tank and so has the catfish lol.

That brings me to the current tank. It is a 125 Gallon. I picked it up for a song and I am extremely happy as I have always wanted a tank this large. its the standard 125g variation of 72"x18"x24"

Filtration:
Rena XP3
Ehiem Wet/Dry 2227
Marineland Emporer 400 HOB Biowheel
2 Marineland penguin 350 HOB Biowheels

Lighting:
It came with 2 36" t12 fixtures or at least thats what it came with. (Ditching them)
On a serious budget and didnt have a ton to throw at lighting so i picked up an Odyssea fixture. Figured itd be much better than what I have and steps above anything i have ever had. So what i ended up with is a 72" Odyssea Quad T5HO fixture with moonlights and timer. Read alot about the bulbs being junk so i ordered 2 Guiseman 80w Aqua Flora bulbs and 2 Guiseman 80w Midday bulbs. Read they are one of the best and highly recommended.

Substrate:
This may be my first mistake. The tank came with a bunch of river style rock and i thought it looked nice so its what I used. If its not ideal i was wondering if i could use some shallow or broken off terracota pots as hidden platers/ Flower beds (I work in the landscaping biz lol). Input appreciated here.

Heating:
Fluval E300
Marineland 200W

Hardscape:
I have always wanted to do driftwood. Prices are crazy for big pieces so i went searching. found some and couldnt tell what kind it was but when i trimmed to fit the tank it was very hard and not arromatic at all. No smell at all lol. the one large piece is secured to huge piece of slate and still floats unless i cover it extra thick with the substrate. Hoping it will waterlog soon enough so i can level out the substrate soon. The smaller piece are actually some pieces i trimmed off the large one that i secured to slate and thought it looked cool.

So without further adue here are some pics.

So i would like to do some mild planting in this tank. not sure what my lighting and everything is considered. lights will be here tomorrow and my bulbs came in today so ill have that setup soon enough. wanted to get something in the tank so i got some perlin moss off the internet because i thought it looked cool. hope it will work lol. but ill take recomendations on what i should do as this is my first planted tank. right now the tank is cycling with the filters i seeded on the 55g. hope to transfer the fish this weekend or early next week.

For now id like to stay without c02 as I don't have the money for Ut and itl be month before i will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I'm off to a decent start I think. Switched to a pool filter sand substrate with some seachem root tabs. Picked up a few plants locally today. Hopefully theyl work cuz I got a good deal. Left to right, 1 huge amazon sword and 2 smaller swords, middle back 5 stems of cabomba, front middle micro sword, right side in a hole on the drift wood in the slight shade is an anubia nana, under the wood is a crypt undulata, and the back right is some water sprite. I think it looks pretty good so far

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
wow nice tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
sweet driftwood
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

now its time for an update. my large sword looks to be transitioning to aquatic life. the cabomba didnt make it. i think some fish helped with that. i have added a crypt undulata, some pearl moss, narrow leaf java fern, and some windeluv java fern. more to come (lots of plants on the way

now i plan to start my 55 back up after a nasty leak. its completely resealed and holding water here is what it looks like while im testing for water tightness. this is some wood i am thinking about using.

for filtration right now it will have an eheim 2026 once i get a new pump gasket so itl stop leaking. lighting currently is 2 24" T8 bulbs. Is this sufficient for a no c02 tank?
as for substrate im stuck. i love the sand look and have another 150lbs of pool filter sand in the garage i can use. any input is appreciated.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2012, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok so moved some plants around in the 120G. added some C. Helferi, some salvinia and frogbit i got from jkan0228 to it. also picked up some java moss. tied some to a piece of slate and the rest is still sitting in a floating breeder until i figure out where or which tank to put it in. also added 3 small stems of Bacopa monnieri that were given to me. starting to look halfway decent and im really beginning to like it.

lots of goodies on the way

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Rescaped

Well I changed my mind and changed out some of the wood in my 120G after work today. Sorry about the poor quality photos and the hazy water. I stirred up too much sand lol. I also ditched the HOB filters as recommended and currently looking for a good deal on a couple of power heads.

And some other good news, I picked up a Matheson 8-320 today and will soon be building a C02 system

hope you like it. BTW I split that crypt wenditi red 4 times and its still huge

let me know what you think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode