Long Distance 120p - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Long Distance 120p

So it has been a long time coming but I finally have a 120p. The only problem is I'm stationed in GA, hence the "long distance," so my wife will be taking care of the tank back in CA, good thing it's low maintenance and non co2. My wife was nice enough to snag the tank, stand, and light off CL while I was deployed earlier this year so it was a great coming home present. Everything in this tank came from my old 90 gallon tank which was neglected and left to become a java fern farm. My goal with this one is to neglect it as well and let it become overgrown till it looks like a jungle. Shouldn't be too hard.

This was the last photo taken of the 90 gallon on 24 Nov 2011

The new setup:
Tank: ADA 120p (older so the glass is much thinner than the new ones)
Stand: Purchased from AFA and made to resemble the ADA stand in black
Light: Archaea 2x54 watt t5ho on 8 hr/day
Filter: Fluval FX5 with Koralia 4 for higher circulation in tank
Heater: Hydor ETH300
Substrate: Reused Flourish dark and red mix from old tank as base layer and topped with Flourish black with Pfertz root tabs
Fauna: puntius denisonii x9, paracheirodon axelrodi x6, trigonostigma heteromorpha x1, crossocheilis siamensis x2, Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus x1, Parotocinclus jumbo (pitbull pleco) x1
Flora: Microsorium pteropus 'Narrow', sagittaria subulata, vesicularia dubyana, cryptocoryne wendtii 'green gecko', cryptocoryne wendtii 'red', echinodorus tenellus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Went home for Memorial Day weekend and decided to hang the lights for a cleaner look. Bought an Ikea expedit shelf and decided to hang it on the wall, which you're not supposed to do. Ended up using a french cleat and four 10 inch lag bolts to hold it up. Then I flipped the legs on the light and ran wire through them and that was it. There is a lot of new growth in the tank, slow though because I'm only using generic excel and csm+b. The old growth appears to be dying off and is being slowly replaced by the new, probably just adjusting to the new tank parameters. I also saw just a minuscule amount of algae after a month of being up and running which is impressive considering the right side of the tank is bathed in direct sunlight in the afternoons. For the next three months at a minimum I won't see the tank at all because I'll be away so the next update should be an algal mess or a lush forest.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's a really nice tank and setup. Them are some beautiful fish and plants.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, took me two and a half years in the hobby to get to this point but well worth it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode