x1 Dalmatian Molly
x1 Red Sword Wag
x1 Guppy

My odd assortment of plants is as follows:
-some kind of cryptocorne in small clumps
-some spindly wisteria
-an anubias of some kind
-and a mysterious broadleafed plant whose name I never knew

I had the little identifier tags they normally come with saved with my aquarium supplies, but they seem to have gotten lost when I moved home from college.

Right now I have a Whisper 10 filter, a bubbler that I turn on intermittently, and a ZooMed 10W bulb. My substrate is a large grain type sand (or a fine gravel). My tank runs about 68 degrees, which is low, but I should be picking up a heater tomorrow or with my next paycheck (next week). I'm using API Root Tabs as a fertilizer, along with Flora Pride.

My plants seem like they are struggling despite the fertilizer and keep developing yellowed holes in their leaves. I read that this could be because of high nitrates and to do some moderate water changes, so I've been keeping up with a schedule of replacing 2 gallons of water about every other day (at least every two to three days). But they keep developing holes, so I did a bit more online searching and I think it could also be from a potassium deficiency?

Feel free to provide input! I'm a beginner, but I would really like to learn the ropes and have a really nice planted tank someday!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Wtf your going to put all those fish in a little 10 gallon? way too overstocked....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Where to start.... the tire track eel will grow to what 2-3 feet long? and you have it in a 10 gallon tank. The live breeders will quickly out grow the tank too and exponentially reproduce if they don't all get eaten or killed by the eel when it gets bigger and claims the tank as its own. Before you go out and buy tons of stuff do some research on this site and figure out how to fix the inevitable crash that will soon happen in the tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Get rid of the eel, the 10 gal. is way too small for it. Use Flourish and Flourish Excel to help with your plants. Upgrade your lighting, maybe 2 13-15w 6500k Cfl's. Do more water changes 50% weekly based on your light planting and heavy bioload. Finally, listen to the folks here and learn from their successes. Good luck!

|
| Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Thanks for the replies! And yes, I know the eel is going to need a bigger tank and I'm planning on providing that once he gets a bit bigger, from the research I've done (correct me if I'm wrong) it'll take him at least another six months or up to a year to get big enough to require more space (he's about six inches long right now). He has several hiding places throughout the tank and just seems to hang out in those, but comes out at night. He doesn't bother the fish, he just eats his earthworms. Before I bought him I read that tire track eels do well with other medium to large size fish, and that even when he got bigger he should be fine with them. But yes, I am not planning to keep him in this ten gallon for much longer.
Like I said, I've been doing lots of water changes, at least 50% weekly. I have an ammonia test kit that I use once a week or so. Should I be testing for anything else? What other important factors should I be keeping an eye on? Would more plants help with the heavy bio load?

Thanks again for all of the advice!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hes already too big for a 10 gallon.... You need waaaay more research about general aquarium keeping before even considering planting your tank

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

A 6inch fish doesn't not belong in a 10 gallon tank.

Fraternity of dirt no. 60.

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (28/100%)
Notice they said beginner. Try to be nice about things especially when you are trying to help someone.

Naukha - Planted tanks are a great hobby, I love mine. However, I agree that a 6 inch fish shouldn't be in that size of a tank, so I'd say either move it somewhere else or sell it to the pet store. If I had the room I'd probably just give it a bigger tank . A fish will not grow out of that tank necessarily because it will become stunted and unable to grow. It seems like your plant problem is likely lighting related. What kind of lights do you use?

RAOK Club #38
Fraternity of Dirt #91

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Rainbuilder.
And alright then! I will definitely start saving for that 55gal I've been eyeballing! I really love my eel and I definitely want to keep him around. I'm just low on money, and I guess I've been procrastinating a bit. Either way, I'm picking up a second job soon, so I'll have the income to buy a bigger tank within the next month.

Also, the bulb in my hood is a 10W Zoo Med compact florescent.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode