NB's 60P Iwagumi II, Redemption - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (42/100%)
NB's 60P Iwagumi II, Redemption

About a year ago, I bought a 60P, aquasoil, and some iwagumi rocks. There was about a week where the tank looked good, but I never quite got a foreground plant established, there was always algae in some form or another in the tank. It was never something I was really very happy with. It had some good things going, but my lack of effort, maintenance, and trying to do too many things at once as far as fish breeding projects doomed it. Coming towards the end of my college career, I decided it was time to redo it before I got a personal letter from Takashi Amano asking me to never admit it was an ADA tank.

After taking out the old rocks, plants, and moving the fish to a secure breeding location, here it is via my cellphone.

Yes, that's right. In one post, ADA has probably disacknowledged me as a customer, and my Canon Pimp Club membership has been revoked. Oh well, I guess this journal will just have to help redeem me

(Yes, that's BBA on the glass. No, you don't want to see what it looked like before I emptied it.)

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Your water is so clear! How do you do it?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGiraffes View Post

Looking forward to this, man.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGiraffes View Post
Ahahaha. I was about to say 'purigen', but then I realized...

The rocks have been cleaned and setup again! These were 'Texas River Rock' (or something close to it) from Frank at ADG. At first I could only assume he sold me these because he didn't trust me with the seiryu stone, but they're actually really nice! They have a nice splotchy red coloring to them which adds a certain pop.

I've found though iwagumi is terribly fickle. I go between "This looks really too linear." and "This looks like I knocked down a few too many when I laid out these rocks." On a 1-10 scale, my art talent is a -1. While taking up photography as a hobby has improved that, coming up with aesthetically pleasing layouts is challenging.

Fortunately I've found that using an odd # of rocks, and sticking the biggest one at about 1/3 and tweaking usually yields something serviceable.

And I swear, I'll get some serviceable non-iPod pictures eventually! I'm too afraid to bring the DSLR into a major construction zone that is my basement

(Okay, I really do need to bring a better camera with me to the basement. These pictures are horrendous.)

The background will be blyxa japonica, even though the stuff grows crazy-quick and takes over. I figure selling it I can be aquarium deficit neutral by 2056. Foreground I'm going to try out elataine triandra.

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And before I forget...

Specs:

Tank: ADA 60P
Light: 2x24w T5HO Catalina Aquarium Light
Filtration: Eheim 2215, Powermen lily pipes
Plants: Blyxa japonica, Elatine triandra
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia I
Fish: TBD
Fertilization: Pressurized CO2, Estimative Index (soon)

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Bit of an update. Proper pics coming later, I swear. Water is added, blyxa japonica and elatine triandra put back in.

The E.T. is melting! There's no fish in the tank, so I cranked up the CO2 and started being considerably more liberal with my EI dosing. I see some new growth popping up under the substrate, so I'm hoping it'll recover, the strong will survive, and a nice foreground will crop up. Either that or the new growth is just Blyxa completely taking over the tank, in which case i'll have to go to foreground plan B, not sure what that is yet.

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 AM
Banned

PTrader: (77/100%)
Still waiting on pics that aren't from an iphone, Mr. Canon pimp #20.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Still waiting on pics that aren't from an iphone, Mr. Canon pimp #20.
My E.T. melted (RIP), GDA has taken over the tank, and the BGA I evidently didn't get off the rocks completely has reappered. I ordered some S. repens (Tropica 049) from Tom Barr for the foreground. I've had pretty good luck with that stuff before. Pics coming today, even if they're slightly embarrassing, I swear!

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay, I promised proper pictures no matter how embarrassing, so I suppose I should deliver.

There's some remenents of GDA On the glass, some GDA (or GSA, not sure) on the rocks, and some BBA right near the substrate. Nothing terrible, but it needs some sprucing up! The S. repens in the foreground is really doing well though, and the blyxa is starting to spruce up a bit.

A massive army of amano shrimp really did insanely well in my other tank for cleaing up the algae, but I'm a bit short on cash. Might have to sell some blyxa from the farm tank or transfer some of the amano shrimp

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
It looks like you might have some cyano on that rock- can you get a close up?

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sort of, not a great picture, but this is the gist of it.

It looks more blackish and fuzzy than cyanoish.

I was blasting the CO2, but I turned it down so I had the option of adding livestock. A small army of Amano shrimp literally transformed my farm tank from algae disaster to nearly pristine in less than 24 hours. If I have enough, I might re-assign some of those guys to this tank.

Chris
Canon Pimp #20
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That looks like BBA. Is it all gone now?

DIY ADA Style Stand -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mr. Aqua 17.4 Gallon Iwagumi Valley-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-27-2012, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotplants View Post
That looks like BBA. Is it all gone now?
Sort of. It's still down at substrate level (that'll need a bit of cleaning with a sponge). I wiped the rocks with a wire brush and that gets them good and clean for the most part. I can't do a very good job while they're in the tank, so at some point I'll just have to take the rocks out one by one to give them another good solid cleaning.

I think as soon as the algae calms down a bit and the plants grow in naturally and don't look so scraggly and transplanted it'll look pretty good.

Chris
Canon Pimp #20

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode