Kathy's 20gal - update 5/24/05 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kathy's 20gal - update 5/24/05

I wanted to make this a journal, but even though the pictures looked clear at first, once uploaded - they aren't so hot. So, I chose the best of the most recent and I promise to keep practicing!

This is about 2 months into my first planted tank! Thanks to everybody here for getting me through the initial growing pains and guiding me to this point. As you can see, it's time for a stem trim and some rearranging! But I'm finally moving away from just making sure I can grow things and a wee case of collectoritis to actually seeing the bare beginnings of a scape. You might also see the BBA slowly turning RED from the excel treatment! And please note the weird little neon with his/her head up in the air right in front of the macrandra. He/she is still eating and schooling (bouncily) along with the rest though - and color is good.

Still looking for HC for my foreground - hopefully that will be coming in a couple of weeks! And growing out some hitchiking sprigs of HM which will probably go in front of the "forest" on the right. Suggestions are gratefully accepted!!!

Here goes - hope this works! And thanks again for the support, kindness and PATIENCE!!! Oh - and a huge thanks to RWong (in BC!), Jart and Discus for your generosity sharing plants with me!!!)

http://community.webshots.com/script...ecurity=XwwuoE

Last edited by GTApuffgal; 05-24-2005 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:39 PM

Seems to be a problem with the link Kathy. I get the following msg:
"You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
Make sure you are logged in."
Glad to hear your Neon is still happily swimming around.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I was so afraid of that! I made it a public album! I am so challenged when it comes to this sort of thing...

Let me try something else. I opened this into IE, still have a bad feeling.

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Kathy\Desktop\Tank 5905.jpg[/IMG]

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I joined! I hope this is right...

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Kathy\Desktop\Tank 5905.jpg[/IMG]
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

This time for sure!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 5905.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	1293  

Name:	Tank 5905 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	1296  

Last edited by GTApuffgal; 05-10-2005 at 05:38 PM. Reason: addition
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

I am a computer genius!

Please share any suggestions you might have! This is a work in progress and a learning process. I know it's a little "rowdy" in there right now and I am planning a major prune/rearranging probably this weekend, so your critiques are most welcome! I'm also looking for a nice piece of driftwood. This mopani "dragon" I found in a bag of garage sale plastic plants is kinda neat and the fish love the little bridge it makes, but I really want a nice, branchy piece that I find myself to make it more special... Not to mention it better fits the look I ultimately want in there.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTApuffgal
a wee case of collectoritis
Hmm, I think I have this too. I'm trying to stop... for now...

I'm new to this too, so I can't offer up any advice or words of great wisdom, but it looks like everything's growing really nice and you're ready to start moving on to aquascaping.

I have a 20G as well that is just starting out. It's kinda similar to yours, not in exact plant selection but that I've got the wide variety of different stem plants, hopefully fast growing, and driftwood/bogwood pieces. I'm waiting for everything to start establishing itself and stabilize so I can think about aquascaping. When I get my digital camera sorted out and functioning, I'll start a journal. So far my tank is coming along nicely and the plants are doing a great job of keeping my ammonia and nitrites at 0.

Look forward to seeing the progress of your tank! As far as your pics being a bit blurry, if you can set the camera on a tripod, that will do wonders. Or, set it on some books or something that get it to the right level to take the pic, and if it has a timer, use it and that will eliminate camera shake.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM

Crongrats on figuring out the picture upload
Tank looks great. I would'nt worry too much about prunning at this time. Wait until you get your other plants before making to many changes
I like your set up, that open space in the middle give the tank kind of a valley flow to it. (much better than the solid jungle in mine. LOL)
Keep the pics coming.
Andy
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 06:49 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like it! Everything looks beautiful and lush and very, very healthy. I like the way you have some open space in the middle, and two open areas of foreground broken up a bit by the crypt(?) in the middle. Much more interesting than just "plants in back, open in front" you know?

While I like what you've got already, I do think a really nice piece of driftwood with an interesting shape would give you a strong focal point. I always like tanks where I have a sense that the aquascaper was drawing my eye toward something or in a given direction, and a focal plant or hardscape object seems to do that nicely.

Next time, get those fat otto bellies in the pic!

I can't wait to see the tank evolve. Can you give a list of your plants and fish?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the comments y'all! I like the open area too, but I feel it lacks hmmm... deliberate-ness? And I love my mopani dragon, but it will be replaced when I find the right piece. (My apologies to the neons who like to sleep under it...)

Fish list is Keyholes, African Butterfly Cichlid, the Neons, Dot - the Clown Pleco (if you look carefully you can see him dangling from the zucchini slice) and last but not least - the merry band of Otos who promised not to be shy about their bellies next time!

Plants... I'm gonna give this a shot... (left to right - more or less)
Dwarf Sag (one on each side - lame I know, but it will spread out!)
Java Fern (3 on the wood)
Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
Rotala Nanjenshan
Rotala Rotundiflora
Red Lotus (in front of the "bridge")
Rotala Macrandra
Limnopholia Aromatica
Heternathera Zesterfolia
Cabomba
Crinum Natans
Ludwegia Repens
Bacopa
Mayaca
Egeria Densa
Alternathera Reineckii
Crypt Walkeri (Lutea - whatever it's called at any particular point in time!)
And Christmas Moss
Almost forgot - a few sprigs of Glosso and Hemianthus Micro-howeveryouspellit and Hydrocotyle Verticillata

I think that's everything! (And if I'm wrong on any of my IDs - please correct me!)

I'll work on my photography skills for the next installment. It's weird that the photos actually looked clear until I uploaded them...

Last edited by GTApuffgal; 05-11-2005 at 03:22 AM. Reason: It wasn't everything...
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

Practicing Photography

I did a little trimming - trying to thicken things up a bit in preparation for a somewhat major overhaul! And the cichlids were posing, you know how they are. (Paparazzi!!!) There's even an Oto on the back wall between the Ludwegia and Limnofolia if you look really hard! (The other 4 were off getting their botox treatments...)

I used a "tripod" this time and the photo looked crystal clear when I edited it. Hopefully it shows up that way here!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Showoffs.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	1305  

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Great work kathy!!!
jB
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Jason! It's a little chaotic still, but I'm about to summon up the guts to do something about that...
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:09 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Everything looks so healthy and green. I love the substrate!

Nice job, Kathy! I can't wait to see how things grow in.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice, Kathy! You can see a difference from your last pics, so the "tripod" definitely helped. I spotted your little Oto hanging out on the back wall too. I keep debating getting some of those little guys every time I'm at my lfs, but now I'm so in love with my new juvenile bushynose pleco, the algae eating machine, I think I just have to go back and get another one. So many plants and fish to covet, so little tank space....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode