Okay, so this is my 1st aquarium. Started out last June as a low-tech goldfish tank, but through my internet research, I've taken a liking towards planted tanks.
People of Planted Tank, I need your help in deciding what to do with the scape. Right now my tank is kind of a $h&# show. I'm moving out of my college apartment in 1 month, where I will change the tacky blue substrate to eco-complete. That day will be revolutionary for me. I want to have a solidified plan for when I move everything back home. So here are my specs:
3wpg compact fluorescent bulbs. 10ish hours a day
aqueon 10 hob filter (whatever the kit came with) +aquaponic bed filter
DIY CO2 (1st implemented 18 days ago, just made a new batch today)
water 75 F
Tacky blue substrate, soon-to-be eco-complete
Ferts: a few drops of flora pride tetra plant, excel every other day
Fauna: 1 goldfish, a bunch of snails.
Flora: Water Wisteria, Hornwort, Anubias Barteri Amazon Sword, Anacharis, Rotala Indica, mystery rotala
Zebra rock, malaysian driftwood, & random rocks from my school campus (passed the vinegar test)
I created a moss wall yesterday. Can't wait to see how that turns out!
And here is the mess:
So the issues I need help with:
1. empty space for a foreground plant. I'm thinking dwarf sag or microsword carpet. What would you do?
2. I have this really nice piece of driftwood that I'm having trouble utilizing. Leave as is, or lay it across the tank where the school rocks are? Or should I attach moss or anubias to it?
3. Zebra rock area, needs something along the base. I'm leaning towards dwarf hairgrass surrounding it. Should I break that small one so there's 3 more noticeably striped ones?
4. Negative space. Need a tall plant that likes water movement there. Or slide the moss wall over?
5. Is having these rocks and the Zebra rock too conflicting aesthetically? Would the wood look better here in front of the rotala?
I know there's a lot here. Your thoughts and opinions on my setup would be greatly appreciated. If there's other things on here that aren't numbered and that you'd like to address, feel free! I'm open to anything.
If you have any individual questions about the moss wall or anything like that, PM me.