Living Fossils - 90G Paleo Viv - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Living Fossils - 90G Paleo Viv

Living Fossils - 90G Paleo Viv

This thread will work like a pre-journal for me because I don't yet have the enclosure for it, but I have been accumulating ideas, plants and animals so I have some things to share.

The general concept for this display will be to showcase "living fossil" plants and animals in evolutionarily old groups. This planting won't be anything like a real biotope at all and will be only a very rough representation of life that lived during the Cretaceous Period (145-65 million years ago), the last period during which the non-avian dinosaurs lived.

I already have a start on getting the plants and here are a few of them in a 30G growout tank...

They include ferns, gymnosperm (cone-bearing/naked seed plants) trees, cycads and ferns. I have several more in my list of desired plants too.

I am going to try to keep a few different arthropods together as a simple animal community. I hope that this will work OK. Here are a couple of the porcelain roach (Gyna lurida) nymphs that I got last week.

Roaches are not the best display animals because they hide most of the time, but if you keep a number of them in the enclosure you can expect to see them from time to time. I also got a little group of death's head roaches (Blaberus craniifer). I also want to see if I might be able to keep some kind of large millipede with the roaches. I'll need to ask around about compatibility.

This display is going to be a diorama style terrarium with an illuminated shadowbox image background like the simple one that I made for this 65G tree frog setup.

This is where I'll be able to include some (virtual) dinosaurs in the display. I might be able to find an image to use with permission or I might make my own. The image will be printed onto a clear film via one of several different online shops that provide this service, such as this one...

http://www.backlitposters.com/movie-posters.html

I hope to have more updates soon. There are a few more plants that I hope to order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to CatB Send a message via Skype™ to CatB
awesome! concept vivariums = cool. subscribed
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
awesome! concept vivariums = cool. subscribed
Thanks for reading!

The millipede, Harpaphe haydeniana, might be another good addition. They sell them at bugsincyberspace.com and describe them as "active day and night".

Wikimedia Commons image... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ha...eniana_002.jpg

This species gets to 2" long, which is pretty big for a flat millipede.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Thanks for reading!

The millipede, Harpaphe haydeniana, might be another good addition. They sell them at bugsincyberspace.com and describe them as "active day and night".

Wikimedia Commons image... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ha...eniana_002.jpg

This species gets to 2" long, which is pretty big for a flat millipede.
neat ;u;
pretty, too. it would add some color (besides the greens of the plants, obviously)
trying to remember from my zoology class if it's the centipedes or the millipedes that are the more aggressive ones... i totally forget :l
okay, i believe it's the centipedes. now that i've satisfied my curiosity...
have you kept arthropods (meaning insects/arachnids/centipedes/millipedes, not so much crustaceans) before? if so, what would you recommend for beginners? because i'd really like to give it a shot ;-;
oh, also... my dad insists he's allergic to any type of roach, and also tarantulas. and i feel like he wouldn't be too keen on the idea of a scorpion...so those are all probably out. sorry for all the questions!
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I guess the Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) gets a bit too big, too fast. Maybe use a chunk of wood with the bark still on it as a tree stump?
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I guess the Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) gets a bit too big, too fast. Maybe use a chunk of wood with the bark still on it as a tree stump?
depending on how realistic you want to be with wood, petrified wood would be super cool (i think), especially for a "paleo viv" :P.
just like a big ol' chunk, i dunno. i've seen kinds with bark still on, as well as off...
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatB View Post
neat ;u;
pretty, too. it would add some color (besides the greens of the plants, obviously)
trying to remember from my zoology class if it's the centipedes or the millipedes that are the more aggressive ones... i totally forget :l
okay, i believe it's the centipedes. now that i've satisfied my curiosity...
have you kept arthropods (meaning insects/arachnids/centipedes/millipedes, not so much crustaceans) before? if so, what would you recommend for beginners? because i'd really like to give it a shot ;-;
oh, also... my dad insists he's allergic to any type of roach, and also tarantulas. and i feel like he wouldn't be too keen on the idea of a scorpion...so those are all probably out. sorry for all the questions!
Yeah centipedes wouldn't work because they are vicious predators. Millipedes should be fine because they just scavenge and each dead leaves and wood.

There are some pretty cool arthropods that you can keep as pets. You have to set them up with the right housing and food but most of them are pretty undemanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I want to use one stump that will look like hte base of a live tree and a couple of big rotten fallen logs. I can plant some mosses and ferns on the logs and they will also be good habitat for the roaches and millipedes.

I don't think that dawn redwood would work very well because it is from a cold area in China and it probably has a cold winter dormancy cycle.
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yeah centipedes wouldn't work because they are vicious predators. Millipedes should be fine because they just scavenge and each dead leaves and wood.

There are some pretty cool arthropods that you can keep as pets. You have to set them up with the right housing and food but most of them are pretty undemanding.
awesome.

thanks for the response, i'll look into it some more.
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had no idea there were flat millepedes, I just assumed they were centipedes, good to know.
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I hope to have some updates on the way pretty soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I had no idea there were flat millepedes, I just assumed they were centipedes, good to know.
We have some little brown ones that you can find in the woods here, but they are only about an inch long.
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Here are two of the cycads that I have gotten so far, Zamia integrifolia and Z. vasquezii.

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is really cool. I like the concept a lot and am looking forward to seeing more updates

-Josh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey
"Give a man a fish and he will get a bowl, teach a man how to keep fish and he will get a planted tank"
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by josolanes View Post
This is really cool. I like the concept a lot and am looking forward to seeing more updates
I'll keep working on it!
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Algae Grower

Looks and sounds great -should be a fantastic display. Looking forward to seeing this one
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolzoo View Post
Looks and sounds great -should be a fantastic display. Looking forward to seeing this one
Thanks for looking at it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode