My first Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My first Tank

Hi I just wanted to start a thread/journal about my first tank I'm getting. It's my dad's 10 gallon that he left me and I'm going to try my hand at a planted tank. This is where I plan to put it . . .
Attachment 45608
I plan on 5 tiger barbs
2 ottos
a anubias nana
dwarf sag.
driftwood

that's about it. I was looking for a low-light low CO2 plants, please if you have any advice about these combinations let me know.

Last edited by osxVictoria; 04-25-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't do 5 tiger barbs in a 10 gallon, IMO they are just too nippy and aggressive for quarters that tight. I would go with more peaceful fish you like. Ottos are good, but wait until your tank is established/cycled/and has at least a little algae in it. New tanks just aren't a good idea to place them in, they need to constantly graze....even then they might need to be supplemented because they wipe the tank clean pretty fast, especially in a smaller tank. I would go with a nice school of community fish in a 10 gallon, then later add the oto's. JMO. Good luck with your first tank. Your tank will probably come with the stock fluorescent lighting (15 watt bulb, 18 inches long) and you would be able to grow Christmas moss, anubias, some crypts, or java fern...That's what I had with my first stock 10 gallon, it was very nice. I used Flourish Root Tabs for fertilizer which I replaced every 4 to 6 months. They just go in the substrate under where the plants are rooted. My first tank just had regular aquarium gravel, but later I switched that substrate to play sand and I liked it better. Now that I have a little more money, I have started using substrates specifically made for planted tanks, like eco complete. I bought ADA Amazonia II this time, but it's pricey.....then again, its for my high tech dream tank tho.....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome sauce. . . yeah was very worried about the barbs. . . I wanted to get five of them because I read that they are less agressive, also my dad had a bunch in yuma. Hmmm I've always like barbs . . .

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update I've decided to listen to advice and not get tiger barbs. Instead I was looking at silver tipped tetras and/or long fined blue danios. They seem very colorful and I love the shape. Also thinking about getting a different tall plant if i get the danios. Says they need room to swim and I have a small tank. . .
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Click image for larger version

Name:	load.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	46231

Okay this is what i've got so far. . .
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Are you planning on adding more plants? What is that sticking out of the substrate that is right of the driftwood?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes I'm getting more plants today. . . as this is my first time I thought I'd take it slow before I spend a bunch of money and kill everything. The thing next to the driftwood is bamboo and I already took it out and set it elsewhere. . .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Unhappy

Okay got new plants and FISh finally okay so . . .about keeping my stuff alive my first tank not going so good. Despite all the research I did, it just wasn't enough.
Name:  fish.png
Views: 85
Size:  130.7 KB

I've lost 4 fish so far . . .I read about the nitrogen cycle . . .I think I just wasn't paying enough attention. . .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wo Ho finally got everything back up and running after a little start-over. Now it's pretty as ever with 4 more danios on their way. . .soonish.

Tags
10 gallon, first tank, new tank, newbie tank, planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode