Val's attempt to breed Dario Dario - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)
Val's attempt to breed Dario Dario

This is my first tank journal! I am going to try and get my dario dario to breed. I was able to get a hold of 3 females, but one died the day after I got it I now moved the 2 females and 1 male into a 5 gallon hex on my kitchen counter so I can see them quite often. I know females are hard to come by and I don't want to screw this up.

I filled up the tank with a big piece of driftwood, some plant clippings from my larger tank. I used hygro sunset, pennywort, and some random crypts. Today I'm going to take out the driftwood and see about putting some moss onto the driftwood. I'm not using Excel or any fertilizer tabs. I hope that things go ok in that regard. I am using eco-complete as gravel that I got from chibs. It's the standard light and filter that came with the tank. I know they don't like bright light, so I'm keeping it low and even adding a few spangles in there for them. I'll see what other kind of low tech plants I can put in there. Maybe cut my java ferns in my large tank and tie those to the driftwood instead. Those are great for small om nom noms.

Right now their favorite food seems to be micro worms. They devour that stuff as soon as it goes into the water. It's quite fun to watch them run around swallowing them as quickly as they see them. I'm glad that they're eating. I've heard a lot of people have problems with them being finicky. I ordered some moina from someone on the SnS and will get that and give it a go. They like daphnia, but they usually spit it back out. I'll get this kind a try and hope it goes ok. I'll have to look up online if there's something I can add to the micro worms to have them be a little more nutritious.

I'm going to be adding some shrimp into the tank and see about them eating some shrimplets to add to their diet. No one chastise me! It's for the good of the fish! They picked off quite a few of the RCS shrimplets in my community tank, so I'm hoping they'll eat some of these also.

One thing that is oogy is having a container of micro worms on your kitchen counter *bleh*!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dario scare me in the morning when I turn on the lights. I always think they're dead because they stop moving and sleep on a leaf or jammed into a plant tightly. I'll think they're dead until I walk away and come back later to see that they moved.

I had an allergic reaction to food from Sea World today, I think I'm gonna have to skip water changes tonight for my fish tanks. I got some shrimp today from jimko. I'm going to put them in a shrimp tank for a little bit until they get bigger. Then I'm going to put them into the dario tank so they can get some live food from shrimplets. I hope that the micro worms don't cause havoc with the shrimp. I might put a couple of shrimp in there to test it out first. If they get infected, I'll use a turkey baster for baby shrimp now and again to put them in there. They love micro worms the most, so I don't want to stop feeding them and move completely to something else.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Yay tank journal!

And awww. That sounds cute that they sleep on things like that. What kind of shrimp did you get? When I tried to breed bettas ages ago, I reared tiny shrimps in soda bottles since grandma had a Dr. Pepper habit. I don't know if that would work... I'll have to remember how I did it. I think I just had a soda bottle with a small airstone now and then with the top cut off.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I got some red rillis from jimko. I might get some oranges also. The rillis were a dollar each, so a smidge cheaper than average for cherries. I'll take a little piece of a crypt. I have some, but they're all pretty basic and nothing rare. I did get a Florida sunset yesterday. But I just planted it and it has no rhizomes.

I have to think of a way to get more food to my darios at the bottom of my community tank. I'm thinking that I'll put in a piece of Repashy gel and have it float while I sprinkle in some worms. How weird that we try not to get worms in our tanks (I hate the things) and now in purposely adding them. Yuck!

-Val
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Maybe use a dropper or long baster and squirt the food there? I tried to get my CPD on hunger strike to eat that way. Food comes right to him! The hikari micro wafers are for CPD sized fish and sink pretty fast, if you wanna try some.

And awesome. I'll have to figure out how to chop it up... but it's exploded on me. And yeah, but some worms are nicer than others. I had a small panic attack after seeing what planaria do.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm glad your plants are on steroids. Mine are starting to grow back now since we hacked them down a lot since the fish died. Which works out well since the fish are liking to swim through all the different low layer plants.

I can't sleep. I want to turn on some of the fish tank lights so I can watch them for a bit. They need their sleep also though.

I think the female darios I have are juvies. They're pretty small and I think they should be closer to the male size.

-Val
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
I use live shrimp to condition them (usually malawas, they breed REALLY fast and they are smaller), also white worms (as opposed to microworms, as I feed thew hite worms fish foods), and cyclops.

Any pictures of the darios? Good luck!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had thought of copepods, but I don't have any in any of my tanks Got any malawa shrimp? lol I had to ask. I'll see if I can find someone with a white worm culture. Things are getting really busy right now since Jim is leaving again tomorrow and tonight he has a sleep study he has to go do. Boo! Somewhere in all the future chaos, we have to squeeze in water changes for the big community tank since I can't reach the bottom.

I took some picturse right now of the dario. Those little buggers are fast. But I didn't help the situation since I just fed them. Someone messaged me asking what a female looked like since they'd never seen one. I tried to get a shot as close as I could for that one.

(Huge pics since I'm a camera nub)

The female in the bottom right, I'm also thinking she'll die in the future. To me it looks like she has no lower jaw. She eats quite a lot, but I don't know how she'll turn out.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
When I kept these guys i fed decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. They loved them. I was also feeding golden pearls to the tank and I believe they ate those as well, being similar to DBSE's, but might take a little effort to get then to take um. The would also eat crushed pond snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've seen golden pearls somewhere. I just can't remember where. Hmm. I could try that later on also. So many foods!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

kensfish sells them. Mine sometimes take them, though you will have better luck feeding live to condition darios. That female does look a bit peaked.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What size would I get of those? Pearls, that is.

-Val
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have diatoms in the tank -.- I put in 2 nerite snails that survived the "incident of 2012" to help with that. I used eco-complete, so that might be the issue. I know I've read about how it can cause diatoms just because of the extra nutrients in the water. I'll have to research that later for more info.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

they dont need the super tiny ones, I think the 200-300 micron is what I use and it is still a bit tiny
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-14-2012, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Really cute fish Val.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode