AussieStars 187 planted - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
AussieStars 187 planted

hey all. This is from my other post in another forum but i have been trying to get my images onto photobucket, but now i have it working so im starting one here.

06/04/05
i finally have my 187 gallon tank up and running. Since i have had fish tanks i have wanted the biggest tank i can and for it to be fully planted, this why i save a alot of money and got my 187 gallon tank with all the gear to make it a planted tank. This is only the beginning of it and this is m journal so you can enjoy the highs and lows of it, and before i even got water into the tank there was a lot of lows lol.

The other idea of this tank is to breed dwarf cichlids. Mainly rams and apistos. Im going to try and breed peppermint bristlenoses aswell.

Tank specs.
72 x 24 x 25 standard custom made tank with centre weir incase i want to go saltwater later on. 10 mm thick glass. If not sure why it is 25 inch. wide just like them when i picked it up.

Filtration
I have two fluval 404s with peat fibre in them

Lighting
2 x 150 watt aquamedic oceanlights with 10000K rating
2 x 36 watt planted tubes 6500K rating (but arent installed yet)
Soon to get some computer fans to put into my hood for cooling

CO2
I have a pressurized system with the milwaukee regulator, bubble counter, needle value and electric solenoid, which runs into the aquamedic reactor 1000 which is inline with the filters .I also have the sms122 ph controller unit.

UVC unit
Pondmaster 36 watt UVC unit connected in line with the filters.

Subtrate
I uses 8 bags of JBL's Aqua basics. I was going to get Eco complete from the States but it would of cost me about $500 AUD just for gravel and the LFS had this on special so i went for it instead, just had to get some extra bags of standard gravel to go on top.

Plants
8 bunches of Ludwigia
5 bunches of Wisteria
2 pots of Echin cant remember the rest of its name
4 bunches of Blue stricta
4 Bunches of Zosterfolia
2 Bunches of Ambulia
2 Bunches of violet
2 Amazon Swords
And so bits of driftwood with Anubias nana on it.

I have got these casue most of them go big and bushie so then i can work in front of them with other plants.

But one bad thing about the plants is that they came with snail eggs in them and i didnt know until today when i found about 20 tiny snails around the tank, but they will make nice food for the peppermints when they come.

Week 1

The systems

View from the end

Im trying to get some better pictures but its a bit hard with a big tank and a very small bedroom that have. Im going to get some SAE and some ottos so start to eat some of the algae that has started to grow and im going to sydney on the 24th of this month to get the peppermints in sydney and might try the LFS down there for some dwarfs

07/04/05

The UVC unit blow up today. The seal around the top came off and water was able to get into the light part ( quatza sleeve i think its called) but is on warrenty so they are getiing me a new one in, just puts back when im going to add some fish. I was going to get some SAE and ottos on the weekend

10/04/05

my cleaner crew
2 very tiny bristlenose
2 suckermouth catfish
2 Flying foxes
im getting the new uv unit on tuesday and i might get some more fish to put in to speed up the algae eating. So ill post a pictures then, but the plants have grow so much, im loving the start besides the problems

13/04/05

They sent out the uvc unit but no globe so that should be here on friday so ill update on the weekend i hope

Week 2 shot

From my bed

18/04/05

Globe still isnt here,so i rang and they said they have sent it maybe a hold up so hopefully anyday. While the over filter is out the tank has started to cloudy up a bit but wont take long to be clear again and it wouldnt be as bad if i didnt clean all the left over algae on the glass. I left one patch for my new peppermints im getting on friday, cant wait

The SMS122 controller is finally up and running and its great, dont even have to do a thing . I have had to set the pH on 7.25 casue in my other tank my older male (about 10cm) was picking on the new young female (about 5cm) i got about 3 months ago and her boyfriend about the same size of his female mate, was trying to help out so i moved them into the planted tank until my dad upgrades from a 75 to a 180, just has to wait for some extra money to come in he reckons. So they are in the 187 and loving it, dont think they wanna leave but i got some bad news.

I also went to the LFS and i was in there in at the right time. THey just got over 200 pieces of driftwood in, Lovin it. So i was there for about 2 hours finding the right pieces for my tank. With 12 bits and $200 later i walk out and it is now soaking in my bath tub.( dont worry it hasnt been used for about 8 years now and i cleaned it fully before i put it

Week 3 shot

25/04/05

The Zosterfolia has been flowering about 150 flowers in total from the two batches of it in the tank, here is a picture

Flowers
I also got some peppermint bristlenose about 2 inches long
Peppermints plus i learnt now to crop images

week 4 shot

03/05/05
Here is the picture i took on sunday an hour after everything was put back in the tank. I took everything out so i could put the wood in
Week 5 shot plus i learnt now to crop images

After every thing was ok i got these
Angle

Kinda full tank shot

In the bottom right corner is the recovery spot. It is what is left of the Ambulia after being cover over by the Zosterfolia. But i havent clear all of the bits and pieces of plants yet, bit shack

bed shot

and i also got some of the fish that are in there

E. Yellow

Female yellow in here spot

And the SAEs

Any comments would be great, trying to kept it updated every monday or when i have something to say

Last edited by Aussie_Star; 05-05-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 05:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
In a word, wow! Great tank!

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice!

Good luck with those chiclids... hope they dont start munching the plants..

That gravel looks like the stuff i can get from my lfs.. $20 for a 40kg sack...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
The tank looks awsome, nice job!!

In yuor post you said that you bought flying foxes and then you call them SAE's. There is a big difference between those two fish and it looks like you have flying foxes. http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is a great looking tank Aussie.
Are you dinkum that's in your bedroom.

You can always add but never take.

Aussie Style
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:08 PM

Great looking tank. Makes me want a bigger one. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr
In yuor post you said that you bought flying foxes and then you call them SAE's. There is a big difference between those two fish and it looks like you have flying foxes. http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/
I disagree, those are true SAE's. No colors in the fins, only one set of barbels.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 04:35 PM

Great looking tank! How high up are your metal halide's installed? How is the light distribution with only 2 bulbs?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Good looking tank =)
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg
I disagree, those are true SAE's. No colors in the fins, only one set of barbels.
My mistake, I was looking at the black band not having a zig-zag edge.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Lorenceo- it would be, my LFS has huge bag of it aswell but its cheaper to get smaller bags, dunno why but it is

Timr - Well SAE are called flying foxes in australia, dunno why but it is what i have found since i've had them

Duck - yea thats my bedroom only the tank and bed fit in

Rayhwong - They are about 40 cm above the tank, i have them installed about 15 inches inwards from the edge. I am hoping to add another MH when i can get some money up

Thanxs for all the comments
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
nice tank man...WOW..
how is the co2 diffuser working out for you..
if the outflow from the 404 reduced a lot or what..

OH and more pics..please
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Looks great!

What a difference in the aquarium once you added all of that great wood!

This is one journal I am going to follow!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

WOW! I have that same size tank on order...you have given me inspiration, Thanks. I really like the wood, did you collect it or purchase? Do you know what type of wood it is? Keep the journal up it looks great!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 04:46 AM

Hi Aussie. I was wondering how many E.Yellows you had in your tank, and if you had any other cichilds.

I'm thinking to put some in my planted tank (maybe from Tang Lake), and i wanted to know if yours are rescaping or eating the plants, digging too much...etc

Im triying to have the max of info about cichlids and plants, so if you can share your experience with your Electric yellows.... thanx!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 04:50 AM

also if you want my opinion about your tank, you could put more mid/fore ground plants like anubias and crypts. Otherwise it looks great

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode