hey all. This is from my other post in another forum but i have been trying to get my images onto photobucket, but now i have it working so im starting one here.
i finally have my 187 gallon tank up and running. Since i have had fish tanks i have wanted the biggest tank i can and for it to be fully planted, this why i save a alot of money and got my 187 gallon tank with all the gear to make it a planted tank. This is only the beginning of it and this is m journal so you can enjoy the highs and lows of it, and before i even got water into the tank there was a lot of lows lol.
The other idea of this tank is to breed dwarf cichlids. Mainly rams and apistos. Im going to try and breed peppermint bristlenoses aswell.
72 x 24 x 25 standard custom made tank with centre weir incase i want to go saltwater later on. 10 mm thick glass. If not sure why it is 25 inch. wide just like them when i picked it up.
I have two fluval 404s with peat fibre in them
2 x 150 watt aquamedic oceanlights with 10000K rating
2 x 36 watt planted tubes 6500K rating (but arent installed yet)
Soon to get some computer fans to put into my hood for cooling
I have a pressurized system with the milwaukee regulator, bubble counter, needle value and electric solenoid, which runs into the aquamedic reactor 1000 which is inline with the filters .I also have the sms122 ph controller unit.
Pondmaster 36 watt UVC unit connected in line with the filters.
I uses 8 bags of JBL's Aqua basics. I was going to get Eco complete from the States but it would of cost me about $500 AUD just for gravel and the LFS had this on special so i went for it instead, just had to get some extra bags of standard gravel to go on top.
8 bunches of Ludwigia
5 bunches of Wisteria
2 pots of Echin cant remember the rest of its name
4 bunches of Blue stricta
4 Bunches of Zosterfolia
2 Bunches of Ambulia
2 Bunches of violet
2 Amazon Swords
And so bits of driftwood with Anubias nana on it.
I have got these casue most of them go big and bushie so then i can work in front of them with other plants.
But one bad thing about the plants is that they came with snail eggs in them and i didnt know until today when i found about 20 tiny snails around the tank, but they will make nice food for the peppermints when they come.
View from the end
Im trying to get some better pictures but its a bit hard with a big tank and a very small bedroom that have. Im going to get some SAE and some ottos so start to eat some of the algae that has started to grow and im going to sydney on the 24th of this month to get the peppermints in sydney and might try the LFS down there for some dwarfs
The UVC unit blow up today. The seal around the top came off and water was able to get into the light part ( quatza sleeve i think its called) but is on warrenty so they are getiing me a new one in, just puts back when im going to add some fish. I was going to get some SAE and ottos on the weekend
my cleaner crew
2 very tiny bristlenose
2 suckermouth catfish
2 Flying foxes
im getting the new uv unit on tuesday and i might get some more fish to put in to speed up the algae eating. So ill post a pictures then, but the plants have grow so much, im loving the start besides the problems
They sent out the uvc unit but no globe so that should be here on friday so ill update on the weekend i hope
Week 2 shot
From my bed
Globe still isnt here,so i rang and they said they have sent it maybe a hold up so hopefully anyday. While the over filter is out the tank has started to cloudy up a bit but wont take long to be clear again and it wouldnt be as bad if i didnt clean all the left over algae on the glass. I left one patch for my new peppermints im getting on friday, cant wait
The SMS122 controller is finally up and running and its great, dont even have to do a thing . I have had to set the pH on 7.25 casue in my other tank my older male (about 10cm) was picking on the new young female (about 5cm) i got about 3 months ago and her boyfriend about the same size of his female mate, was trying to help out so i moved them into the planted tank until my dad upgrades from a 75 to a 180, just has to wait for some extra money to come in he reckons. So they are in the 187 and loving it, dont think they wanna leave but i got some bad news.
I also went to the LFS and i was in there in at the right time. THey just got over 200 pieces of driftwood in, Lovin it. So i was there for about 2 hours finding the right pieces for my tank. With 12 bits and $200 later i walk out and it is now soaking in my bath tub.( dont worry it hasnt been used for about 8 years now and i cleaned it fully before i put it
Week 3 shot
The Zosterfolia has been flowering about 150 flowers in total from the two batches of it in the tank, here is a picture
I also got some peppermint bristlenose about 2 inches long
plus i learnt now to crop images
week 4 shot
Here is the picture i took on sunday an hour after everything was put back in the tank. I took everything out so i could put the wood in
Week 5 shot
plus i learnt now to crop images
After every thing was ok i got these
Kinda full tank shot
In the bottom right corner is the recovery spot. It is what is left of the Ambulia after being cover over by the Zosterfolia. But i havent clear all of the bits and pieces of plants yet, bit shack
and i also got some of the fish that are in there
Female yellow in here spot
And the SAEs
Any comments would be great, trying to kept it updated every monday or when i have something to say