roybot73 -- 75 gallon grassland - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
roybot73 -- 75 gallon grassland

Wow. It's been a while.
My boss asked me to set up a tank in the lobby of our offices to "warm the place up a bit and give it some life..."
Um, ok!

He wanted a big tank with lots of schooling fish. Right up my alley.
We decided on a 75 gallon - the biggest I've worked with so far. I'm pretty stoked to say the least.

Still in the process of setting everything up and I've got no pictures yet, but I figured I'd start with the obligatory equipment list and set the stage, so to speak.

75 gallon Marineland tank
All-Glass brand black cabinet stand (no time to custom fabricate my own)
Eheim 2215
Eheim 2217 - both filters have the Eheim "Installation Kit" in/out
2X Hydor 200W inline heaters
Cerges reactor (or Atomic inline...)
10# CO2 tank w/ JBJ reg
48" 2x54W T5HO Catalina fixture (more on this later...)
8 bags of Flourite Black
Bacter 100
Clear Super
Tourmaline BC
Black static cling window film background

The plan I have is to plant mostly grass-type plants. Tufts of hairgrass, E tennellus micro and sagitaria subluata in the foreground, longer eleocharis and taller, reedy looking crypts in the back. A few rosette crypts here and there and some anubias sp. as well. *Mostly* low maintenance layout.
I'm waiting on a nice big manzy branch from Mr Barr, and I've got some nicely dimpled rocks to support the branch and fill out the tank.
Probably a BIG school of neons, rummy nose and penguin tetras. Some corys Amanos and Otos too.

(I'll fill in more details later. Typing this out on an iPhone has officially become tedious )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

No Pimp Club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

Coming along slowly but surely. I've got a few rocks to place yet.
As promised, I'll fill in more details later...
Sorry for the poor photo quality.

No Pimp Club.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
looks like it will be great!
i dont think i would want a tank at work lol work gets stressfull enough on its own

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

Thanks! This will actually be the 4th aquarium in our offices, albeit the first on public display.
I've got a 4 gallon Finnex (in a sorry state at the moment), a 30 gallon with a severum and some moss (soon to be a quarantine tank for the 75) and a 29 gallon community that now houses all the barbs, rasboras and sidthimunki from my old 60-P setup.
But wait -- there's more!!!
A 20L (my old 20L in my sig) that's home to 3 tiny painted turtles AND yet another 10 gallon that houses a juvenile (2" shell diameter) snapping turtle!!!

No Pimp Club.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (54/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Layout420
Looks awesome, love the gnarly piece of drift wood. I'm sure this tank will give off great vibes. Nothing like an awesome planted tank.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

Thanks, Layout420.
The tank got filled today. Starting at 7:30 am it was finally full and running by 9:30. I had zero issues with the Flourite clouding. It was rinsed, but not well. I'm not sure what folks are doing when they complain of not being able to even see through their Flourite tanks after filling...
Anyway, I found out that one of my Hydor ETH heaters was leaking, so there was a scramble to take that offline and a replacement has been ordered.
I also had a minor issue with one of the Eheim intakes sucking air from somewhere in the main intake assembly. I took it apart and reassembled 3-4 times before I got it sorted out.
Nothing picture worthy yet as there isn't even a light on the tank yet.
Soon enough.

No Pimp Club.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Subscribed. I just received a hand me down 75g and I don't know what to do with it yet. I'll be watching yours.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church View Post
Subscribed. I just received a hand me down 75g and I don't know what to do with it yet. I'll be watching yours.
Nice to see a familiar name!

The amount of space in a 75 is at once liberating and daunting. Pretty cool, actually. Great dimensions for a planted tank -- not too tall with a good amount of front-to-back depth.
Good luck with yours!

No Pimp Club.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

I finally had a chance to get this thing planted. In person, it looks like there are a lot more plants...
I've got crypt spiralis & lucens, dwarf sag, a few sprigs of Echinodorus angustifolia and some Anubias nana on the wood. Still to come is a bunch of nana petite that will also be attached to the wood. Pfertz root tabs have been spaced out evenly throughout the fluorite and pushed all the way to the bottom pane.
No CO2 yet, but I've been dosing excel. 6 hour photo period for now. The tank was seeded from my severum's 30 gallon and is going though a bit of a bacterial bloom. There are a few rocks holding down the wood until it gets waterlogged.
I'm thinking about adding a 24" Ecoxotic Stunner LED strip with reflectors to the rear center of the light fixture. I think it would brighten up the area behind the wood and add some interest and shimmer...
Hoping this will come along slow and steady, low maintenance is a must for this beast.

Sorry for the horrible photo quality.

No Pimp Club.

Last edited by roybot73; 04-24-2012 at 07:38 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Subscribed and waiting to see this tank turn out as nice as your 60-P during its prime.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Subscribed and waiting to see this tank turn out as nice as your 60-P during its prime.
You're too kind
Thanks!

No Pimp Club.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

A quick update.
Growth, while slow, has been happening nonetheless -- even without CO2. That will be installed on Monday - I didn't want to risk anything happening over the weekend.
I've been lightly dosing macros & micros, ADA Green Gain, Green Bacter and Excel.
Tank has cycled. One of the reasons for my choosing Flourite (aside from the unavailability of Aquasoil...) was it's inert nature. I simply cannot perform daily 50% wc's for the weeks it takes ADA AS to stabilize. This tank does get 10-15 gallon changes every other day. Smaller, more frequent changes are easier due to the layout of my office/lobby. The water supply is kinda far away and a total hassle to drag out the 100' garden hose.
Livestock was added starting on Tuesday, continuing on Wednesday and Thursday. There are 30 neons, 12 Diamond tetras and a bulldog pleco. I'll let this population ride through the next week and then add some cories another school of tetras (yet to be determined...).
Purigen was added to the 2217 and will be added to the 2215 next week -- damn manzanita tannins.
Seeing our customer's reactions to a planted tank is pretty cool. "Are those REAL plants?!" "How are they growing under water?" and my personal favorite "Are the plants just there for the fish to eat?"

No Pimp Club.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great looking start, I understand the questions, we get them on the tank at work that has live plants in it.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
the wood look wicked
some moss here and there would be amazing

no background plants yet?

i got those questions too
you're very diligent planting those plastic grass one by one
(referring to the hairgrass carpet i had) lol

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
The Circumloctioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikuzo View Post
the wood look wicked
some moss here and there would be amazing

no background plants yet?

i got those questions too
you're very diligent planting those plastic grass one by one
(referring to the hairgrass carpet i had) lol
Thanks, ikuzo!

It's not visible in the photos yet, but there is some Taiwan moss stuck into cracks and crevices on the wood. There's also some anubias petite that has been super glued to small rocks for ease of placement. Those rocks have also been partially wrapped with moss, so hopefully it will spread out nicely.
No background plants yet. The area behind the wood is very dimly lit because the light fixture has only 2 bulbs. I'm considering adding some rockwork and attaching some of the larger anubias sp. or Bolbitis. Stems are out of the question.

No Pimp Club.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode