65g chronicle update May 13, 2007 Page 8 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
65g chronicle update May 13, 2007 Page 8

Alright, so after unpacking about a zillion boxes (thank God I don't have any major furniture...yet) I finally managed to get the new tank set up. I got rid of the 46 bowfront...and got an upgrade. I spent the last two months growing all my plants out till the 46 was so full of plants you couldn't see any fish.

Here's some stats:

2.95 wpg 11 hours (2 X 96 watt pc)
3.87 wpg for 6 hours (60 extra watts of NO)
ANYONE with a 65g tank please let me know what your current lighting situation is...I'm thinking of keeping it at 2.95, but I'm not sure if some of the plants will grow as much.

same ol UV sterilizer
pressurized co2
100% fluorite

water parameters (this is great!!)
Arlington, VA (Crystal City) tap water: 10 ppm NO3, 2 ppm PO4!!!!!! (nothing added on water change day)

EI: (Craig, Tom if you have any suggestions, feel free)
Sunday: water change...nothing added
Mon: 10 mL plantex, 2 mL fluorish Iron
Tue: 1/4 tea KNO3
Wed: same as Monday
Thurs: 1/4 tea KNO3, a bit over 1/16 tea of K2PO4 (smidgen scoop)
Fri: same as Mon
Sat: nuthin'

Plants: from back left to right
H. leucocephala, R. rotundifolia, Amazon sword, Ozelot sword, some Anacharis, P. gayi, watersprite

Mid left to right: H. difformis, A. barteri, A. nana petite, P. stellata (broad), E. stellata, L. aromatica

Foreground: H. micranthemoides, some sort of lilly-type plant I forgot the name of, E. trianda, Glosso, Tiger lotus, H. zosterifolia.

If the shrimp leave the stargrass alone then I'll probably make that a bigger stand. I'm hoping to eventually phase out the midground into tiger lotus all around, with glosso or E. trianda in the middle.

Oh, and for you VA, MD, DC folks, I managed to take a trip to Aquarium Center in Randallstown and that place is great....they even have Rosaline sharks (20 bucks each though).

Let me know what you all think!!

Re-boot!

Last edited by Georgiadawgger; 05-14-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
looks nice, i think the 3 rocks will look better once the foreground grows in, right now they look a litle unnatural.
post #3 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by timr
looks nice, i think the 3 rocks will look better once the foreground grows in, right now they look a litle unnatural.
Yeah, I'm waiting for it to grow out a bit...I actually used the slate as a terrace...which the picture angle couldn't get. I'm trying to get as much "depth" as possible to keep the forground open for a school of cardinals or rasaboras.

Re-boot!

post #4 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Things are filling in nicely. Can anyone ID the lilly-type plant that is on the foreground left next to the H. micranthemoides? It has "cup" shaped lilly like leaves....I forgot the name of it.

The glosso is also starting to rapidly spread, so it may be trim time for that on Sunday before it gets out of control.

Behind the glosso in front of the rocks is supposed to be E. trianda...it melted pretty bad when I first planted it, but its starting to sprout new leaves. Oh, and the majority of the tiny plantlets I see in the fluorite is from stems of "seeds"...those of you that have it know what I'm talking about.

The tiger lotus is starting to fill out too. I'm hoping it spreads more to the left so I can minimize the glosso to a small patch.

Any suggestions, comments helpful. Thanks.

Re-boot!
post #5 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
How on earth did you get such great coloration out of your plants!!! I'm envious of the way they look.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #6 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 07:41 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great tank!
What about algae problems?
Do you use UV 24/7?
post #7 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
What a great job!

The colors are magnificent and the plants look super healthy!

You should be proud!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Planted Member

Wow gorgeous tank! I love all those red plants. If it was my tank though (besides it being full of algae) I'd have some small red plant in the front left 'cause I'm a "balance" freak :P And the growth is amazing! Everything looks so lush! I'm jealous...

Yes! I snuggle with rats!
post #9 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Must be the low NO3 that did the trick with color, only 1/2 tsp/week NO3 in a 65 gallon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #10 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
How on earth did you get such great coloration out of your plants!!! I'm envious of the way they look.
2 ways to get the reds...lower your Nitrates (hence Shalu's comment), and I dose a shot of iron or two a week (2-3 ml X 2)

Quote:
Great tank!
What about algae problems?
Do you use UV 24/7?
Thanks. Yup, UV is on 24/7 and I've never really had any major issues...no green water to date (knock on wood)

Thanks Mike! You're tank is looking great as usual too!

Quote:
Must be the low NO3 that did the trick with color, only 1/2 tsp/week NO3 in a 65 gallon.
Shalu, yeah, I'm actually keeping my NO3:PO4 around 10:2 (or some variance of that)...that's been working great for me ever since my move and getting the bigger tank. Things are much easier with this tank than with the 46g bow I had. Maybe its the tap water.

Re-boot!
post #11 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, things are starting to really rolll....I had to get rid of the NO lights...so I'm hoping the 2 PC fixtures put out enough light for the lower leaves...glosso and E. trianda seem to be doing fine. I got rid of a huge mass of E. stellata and am phasing it out with L. aromatica and P. stellata broad leaf (right side). The Tiger lotus has also set out some baby plants so I'm moving those a bit more toward the center too...I'm trying just to keep a small patch of glosso for ease of maintenance.

What do you guys think? I don't know if I can keep both swords in there. The "regular" sword is getting bigger by the week and the Ozelot is really pretty. For those of you that don't have the flip up legs yet...I strongly recommend them. Here's some pics of what they look like too. And, everyone was right...no glass top since the screws go in on the inside of the tank.

Re-boot!
post #12 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-30-2005, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to PinkRasbora
Nicely Done! Everything looks great! Those red plants are amazingly stunning.

~Pink's Tank:~
14 Gallon Tall Aquarium
Picture link Soon
post #13 of 119 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Your tank looks great, that is one beautiful red tiger lotus. I had one once but the leaves were huge. Yours looks smaller. Is that 2 36inch 96watt aqualites?
post #14 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 03:13 AM

Lookin good dawg!!
post #15 of 119 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprroy73
Your tank looks great, that is one beautiful red tiger lotus. I had one once but the leaves were huge. Yours looks smaller. Is that 2 36inch 96watt aqualites?
Thanks for the complements everyone!

My lotus leaves are smaller and I actually like them more that way...they did start out big, but I let the small ones grow out and trimmed all the big ones away.

Yup...2 x 36 inch 96 watt aqualights...just under 3 wpg....same ones I had on my 46 bow.

Re-boot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode