Been a little over a week since I updated.
I added the rest of the tetras, I now have a nice school of 40. I also added two "rose" swords to the back. Trimmed the tank over the weekend, the wisteria and bacopa had both reached the top and started spreading across it.
Now for a description of the title: Silence is Golden
Having a former reef tank, with the built in overflow and using a sump I was having issues. I have mag drive pump rated at 950gph. If I ran it wide open, I would have to run about 50-60 bps of co2 to see any difference in pH. So I was cutting the flow back to about 300-400gph which allowed me to run about 15-20 bubbles per second to maintain my pH at 6.8. Anything lower then that and the fish start acting weird. So I figured 6.8 was my magic number.
The reason for the high bubble count at wide open, was the amount of air coming down the drain pipe. Pump wide open and it would look like someone ran a hose from 240v air compressor into my sump, and loud as can be.
So, I redid my plumbing today. I changed over to a "herbie" style overflow. Not sure how many people here would be familiar with this, so a quick description. In most single overflow reef tanks, you have 2 bulkheads in the bottom of the tank. 1 for a drain and 1 for return.
With a "herbie" You convert both bulkheads to drain lines. 1 Primary and 1 secondary/backup. You then add a 3rd line over the side of the tank for a return. On the primary line you install a valve. The object is to restrict flow just enough that you create a full siphon, hence no air. It's kind of a balancing act though, too much flow and you get air in the line, too little flow and the backup starts gurgling like crazy.
Spent about 15 minutes balancing it out, I think I have it pretty close. Very little water going down the secondary. The nice thing is though, I can now run pump wide open. It's a HUGE difference in flow, I also removed the grigg reactor from the main return line, and added a second pump on a closed loop in the sump to run it.
I accomplished two things today. I increased my flow rate about 3x (now have about 8-9 times turnover rate per hour, compared to 3-4 before) and my bubble count is now down to about 5-6 bubbles per second.(might even be able to lower that some more, will have to do some testing.)
Oh and no more noise, except the fans on the light, need to find some better fans (quieter) and tear it apart and replace them. With the lights off, its dead silent in the room.
A little long winded I know, but it's a journal right