The Planted Tank Forum banner

Jake's 18"/3gal Nano Shrimp Tanks

142K views 467 replies 83 participants last post by  somewhatshocked 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a fancy new tank.

18" L x 6" W x 7" H = 3gal:

Came with a nice glass cover but I'll either need to have it cut to fit an HOB or go topless. Came with four glass dividers (these tanks are typically used to house Bettas with five separate compartments - and for coral frags) that I may also be able to use to partially cover the tank. Would just mean that a section near the filter will be completely open - about a third of the top.

I've been shutting down a bunch of tanks and this little one is going to be my compromise. Perfect footprint for shrimp, as there's quite a bit of ground space. Will be great as a cull tank or for some

So what will I do with it? I've got three Red Sea Nano filters I could swap over. Could use one on each end to make sure there's plenty of flow. Or I can steal the Red Sea media and toss it in an AquaClear 20.

Don't think I want this to be high-tech so it's going to be fun trying to figure lighting out. Maybe an 18" Marineland Double Bright wouldn't be overkill for mosses and crypts. Have a few bags of UP Aqua Shrimp Sand and Azoo Plant Grower Bed so I'm good on the substrate front. Also have this piece of wood I can butcher for use:

Just need to get the super glue and a bunch of moss ready.

For placement, I've got a ton of options. There's room beneath my Ebi and I have plenty of space on this rack.

Multiple Tank Syndrome is a serious problem, kids. Be careful when you're visiting fish shops in search of coral fragments. You'll end up buying new shrimp tanks.

Jake

See less See more
#6 ·
Made by Deep Blue Professional - tend to focus a lot of their products on marine/reef. This is on page 13 of their product PDF - with the glass dividers for Bettas. They also make all kinds of coral frag tanks that are perfect for shrimpers.

I think it was $34/$35. A little too spendy for a tank so small but the footprint was worth the splurge. Was also at a janky LFS in Southern Indiana that charges out the rear for everything. My preferred fish shops in Louisville never have any tanks worth buying. So I snatched it up when I found it yesterday. I've seen them at a couple shops in AZ for about $20ish in the past.

Now to find an 18" light fixture that isn't a nightmare. Or maybe I'll make my own LED fixture. It's a shame Coralife doesn't make an 18" T5NO rig. That'd be perfect. (As I type this, I'm betting I'll cave and get the dang Marineland fixture that is overpriced and less than perfect. At least it'll be easy to suspend above the tank from the wire racks.)

#12 ·
Just brought the hacksaw up to cut the wood to size and have already Dremeled the intake pipe on the AC20.

Now I'm going to spend all evening finding the perfect fixture. I know it'd be really easy to build a low light LED fixture for under $50. Just... ugh. All that effort for a moss & crypt tank.

#14 ·
Almost ashamed to admit it but I think I may go with this eBay auction # 300620093692 - it's one of those cheapo Beamworks/Beamswork LED fixtures. But this tank is just 7" tall. So the light would be just five or six inches from the substrate. And it's only $35. WAY cheaper than the Marineland equivalent.

Surely it could handle mosses and crypts?

While it's really low light, something tells me I'd even be okay with suspending the fixture above the tank a bit.

What's the worst thing that could happen with it? I mean, I've already cooked one tank this week. Might as well try screwing up another one.

#16 ·
Petlanddiscount near me has a Deep Blue tank like that with three compartments for bettas. I think it's 1.5 or 2 gallons. The extra length on that one looks great. They also make a one gallon that's tall rather than wide, but unfortunately ..it's only one gallon! I can't wait to see yours set up.

#18 · (Edited)
One of the potential locations:

Not sold on it, as it won't really be visible unless you're sitting where I sit to do work every day.

Another option, the space between the two 20Ls:

Leaning toward the spot beneath the Ebi. It'll help hide the junk hanging behind the shelf.

#23 ·
Absolutely. I think we're happier people in general :hihi:

Looking at my tanks and listening to some music is better than watching TV for me. It really clears your mind out more than anything else; so in that way, as others (*cough cough* parents) may see them as "distractions," we see planted aquariums as the key to clearer, different thinking.

#28 ·
Think I've settled on Willow and Java/Xmas/Peacock mosses. Flame and the wild-type of Willow would be ideal but I can almost never get my hands on either.

And maybe a bunch of C. parva if I can find it in submerged form so I don't have to go through the crypt melt shenanigans. Think I'll avoid Anubias in this tank because even nana 'petite' would be kind of large.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.