Jake's 18"/3gal Nano Shrimp Tanks - Page 26 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #376 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (486/100%)
Tiny life is fulfilling for me. More than I ever thought it could be. Having an 8ft x 14ft/112sq ft (2.4m x 4.3m/10.3sq m) enclosed space certainly helps when you're a plant hoarder.

Gearing tanks toward inhabitants is the only way to go. It's easy enough to do but it tends to take a ton of time figuring out how to make things look attractive.
Thelongsnail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Your Tradescantia and Tillandsia are amazing---
Great idea putting on the broken frame. I really like the look of it with the gridded wire.
I have one tillandsia that I bought a few months ago. I'd been admiring them for awhile at a local nursery, but was unsure if I could keep one alive. Tillandsia's (along with succulents in general) are huge at this nursery and they have a lot of different types to choose from.
It seems to be doing well, increasing at the base with a "garlic-clove-like" bulb-ette at base. Since Ive been able to keep one healthy- I plan to get some more. ~ My one tillandsia looks nothing like yours... it looks like an "ugly-cousin to yours."

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #378 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Thanks! I find they're all relatively easy to care for - both Tradescantia and Tillandsia. Good air flow tends to help, though. Only difference is Tradescantia is an unstoppable weed that just won't quit.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #379 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Tiny life is fulfilling for me. More than I ever thought it could be. Having an 8ft x 14ft/112sq ft (2.4m x 4.3m/10.3sq m) enclosed space certainly helps when you're a plant hoarder.
I'm pretty sure that's twice the size of my kitchen!

Back on topic though, would you recommend any of those terrestrial plants below for less humid set ups? I really love the look of the first one, but it would be in a window that gets quite chilly in winter.

Journal

post #380 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Both varieties of the Tradescantia I've got grow like weeds regardless of circumstance. Humidity, temperature, lighting - they do well regardless. They do best, of course, in a tropical situation.

But they grow well in most homes - to the point that regular pruning is a necessity. I like to trim and replant it in the same pot until it's packed.

They'll probably be relatively easy to locate in Edinburgh. Cheap, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
would you recommend any of those terrestrial plants below for less humid set ups? I really love the look of the first one, but it would be in a window that gets quite chilly in winter.
Thelongsnail likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #381 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Did some work cleaning up the tanks today and trying to source another one. All of my other 3gal longs (I think there are 7 total) are tucked away in storage about 600mi away. So might as well try to buy a third for home.

Also realized I have some decent wood for the Spec I'm planning:

Really should have used a better background when snapping the photo.

Tank planning is really enjoyable. I'd forgotten this part of the hobby a bit, I think.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #382 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Caved. Ordered the Spec. Couldn't hold out for a better deal.

Also ordered more Controsoil from Pet Zone.

Now to go about finding all the moss, fissidens, anubias and crypts I want/need for the Spec and these tanks... and maybe a third 3gal if I can get my hands on one (it's okay. I have MTS under control, mostly, thanks to CBD)...

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #383 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Caved. Ordered the Spec. Couldn't hold out for a better deal.

Also ordered more Controsoil from Pet Zone.

Now to go about finding all the moss, fissidens, anubias and crypts I want/need for the Spec and these tanks... and maybe a third 3gal if I can get my hands on one (it's okay. I have MTS under control, mostly, thanks to CBD)...
Yeah!! Looking forward to following your new shrimp set-ups. Just think of your MTS as instructional journals for bringing new shrimp-keepers to the hobby. You are doing a public service.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #384 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Just ordered all the plants (I think) I'll need to get started. All are tissue cultured, save the Buces.

Bucephalandra:
Bukit Kelam
Mini Boyan
Mini Dark Melawi
Narcissus
Titan Round
Velvet Wide Leaf

Moss
Christmas Moss
Java Moss
Fissidens fontanus

Crypts:
Cryptocoryne beckettii
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Bronze'
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green Gecko'
Cryptocoryne parva

Other:
Hydrocotyle tripartia 'Japan'
Anubias barteri var 'Nana Petite'

I finally feel comfortable buying Bucephalandra now that a few smugglers have been arrested in the United States and Canada. Happy to say TPT helped bring them down by working with APHIS and CBP for a couple years. They were nearly directly responsible for unimaginable habitat destruction in Borneo. They repeatedly tried to push off their super-cheap (sometimes less than 25 cents - insane), smuggled plants on the forum. It was a mess. But no more!

Tissue culturing Buces has also helped stop habitat destruction. Though, I'm not sure it'll ever be back to what it was a decade ago. Looking forward to seeing how things go.

Not sure what will end up in each tank but I know it'll all be split between these two 3gal longs and the new Spec V (need to start a new journal) that's scheduled to be here by the end of the week. I think I would like these two tanks to be primarily moss with a few Crypts here and there - similar to their previous state. Will add more as time goes on.

Impatience got the better of me and I couldn't wait for trades and all that. May also bring home some of my other plants to use but want to try to avoid that if possible.
Discusluv and gjcarew like this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #385 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Since I'll likely be running these tanks for several weeks after the initial ammonia release from substrate, I have to do some math and maybe bang my head against the wall.

After 16 years, I've finally run out of Ace ammonia (!) and there's none to be found in the city at the moment. Fortunately, I've got a pound of Fritz Aquatics Ammonium Chloride that I've used for cycling larger tanks and ponds. Fortunately, right? Right?! Ugh. If only.

4.5 grams of this stuff brings 100 gallons of water to 4+ PPM. Which means 45mg brings a gallon to 4 PPM. Do you have any idea how tough it is to measure even if you have a gram/mg scale? Not exactly the easiest thing to accomplish with this particular product. Just breathing on the scale causes it to fluctuate 50mg.

Why not buy a bottle of Dr. Tim's and call it a day? Because I already have this stuff and I refuse to be defeated by it. Gonna be fun making sure I hit my ideal targets in these tiny tanks. Woo!

Or maybe I'll spend all weekend figuring out a how to make my own Dr. Tim's-style solution through trial and error with RO/DI water...

Edit: Just so I'm clear - I don't plan to cycle with 4 PPM ammonia. I typically do about 3 PPM with shrimp tanks. Was just easier to do the math in my head as it was presented. But seriously... I'm gonna figure out a liquid solution so I can dose mLs instead of this. heh.
Discusluv likes this.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 07-12-2019 at 12:45 AM. Reason: edit
post #386 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Since I'll likely be running these tanks for several weeks after the initial ammonia release from substrate, I have to do some math and maybe bang my head against the wall.

After 16 years, I've finally run out of Ace ammonia (!) and there's none to be found in the city at the moment. Fortunately, I've got a pound of Fritz Aquatics Ammonium Chloride that I've used for cycling larger tanks and ponds. Fortunately, right? Right?! Ugh. If only.
4.5 grams of this stuff brings 100 gallons of water to 4+ PPM. Which means 45mg brings a gallon to 4 PPM. Do you have any idea how tough it is to measure even if you have a gram/mg scale? Not exactly the easiest thing to accomplish with this particular product. Just breathing on the scale causes it to fluctuate 50mg.

Why not buy a bottle of Dr. Tim's and call it a day? Because I already have this stuff and I refuse to be defeated by it. Gonna be fun making sure I hit my ideal targets in these tiny tanks. Woo!

Or maybe I'll spend all weekend figuring out a how to make my own Dr. Tim's-style solution through trial and error with RO/DI water...
If math is involved in the least I run for the hills and hide.

I still have a bottle of Dr. Tim's for cycling the 10 gallon shrimp tank. Perfect for the number-phobic.
My R/O system came today. (thumbs up)

post #387 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Have a feeling that RO/DI system is going to change your life.

Tank water, houseplant water, cleaning water, essential oil diffuser water (for air freshening - not any of the crazy pseudoscience reasons), et al. You'll likely never regret the purchase. I certainly never have. Made 50 gallons today so I'll have enough on-hand to do tons of water changes during the 'cycling' process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
My R/O system came today. (thumbs up)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #388 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Have a feeling that RO/DI system is going to change your life.

Tank water, houseplant water, cleaning water, essential oil diffuser water (for air freshening - not any of the crazy pseudoscience reasons), et al. You'll likely never regret the purchase. I certainly never have. Made 50 gallons today so I'll have enough on-hand to do tons of water changes during the 'cycling' process.
I never thought about all those other options that I will have now for the R/O system. That is wonderful. Now I can try some exotic indoor plants and be more successful. I have an antirrhinum plant that Ive had about 5 years that I baby-- Im sure the R/O water will be appreciated.

post #389 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Turns out I'm not as think as I dumb I am. Figured out that roughly 35mg per gallon of water will yield the right-ish ammonia PPM for my purposes.

I've got a leftover 120ml glass bottle with dropper that's perfect for this. I figure 0.5ml per gal to bring me up to my ideal 3ish PPM is a convenient measurement. Would certainly make it easier than measuring with a scale every time I want to dose a tiny aquarium.

So... 120ml of RO/DI water. 35mg per 0.5ml of liquid. 35 x 2 = 70 x 120 = 8,400mg or 8.4grams of Fritz Aquatics. Perfect. Having half a mL of liquid to work with will make it easier to dose smaller amounts when necessary.

Update: Tested the solution and it works perfectly. Guess I need to come up with a calculator to help people figure out how to make their own solutions using RO/DI.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 07-12-2019 at 02:44 AM. Reason: update
post #390 of 397 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Both varieties of the Tradescantia I've got grow like weeds regardless of circumstance. Humidity, temperature, lighting - they do well regardless. They do best, of course, in a tropical situation.

But they grow well in most homes - to the point that regular pruning is a necessity. I like to trim and replant it in the same pot until it's packed.

They'll probably be relatively easy to locate in Edinburgh. Cheap, too.
Weeds indeed. Several tradescantia species are banned as noxious invasive species in many parts of the world. Tradescantia pallida--the common purple "Wandering Jew" our grandmothers all grew--thrives in full desert sun & 120F heat as long as you keep it watered. Doesn't mind cool temps either--though a frost will kill actively growing tips, but it bounces back quickly. The more sun it gets the deeper the purple color, and it produces pretty pink flowers several times a year. Makes a nice contrast to silver/grey/blue desert plants. And you can't kill the stuff no matter how hard you try

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode