LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
40 Gallons O' Nature - Jake's "High-Tech" Attempt

40 Gallons O' Nature

• 40 gallon breeder tank (36"x18"x16")
  • Black, pine wood stand
  • Ikea "shelf-kit" pray painted black (for hanging light)
  • AquaticLife 36" Dual bulb T5HO fixture, hung via AquaticLife Hanging Kit (Roseate/10,000k, stock bulbs)
  • SunSun HW-302 canister filter (still have to obtain media, bioballs/foam)
  • Hydor ETH 200w inline heater
  • Pressurized C02 system (still up in the air)
  • Substrate (still up in the air)
I've been without a "wet" tank for a little over a month now... I'm freaking out to say the least.

I spent this last weekend (3/31/12) spray painting the stand, Ikea "shelf-kit" and the back of the tank. Everything was put into place on Monday I put things into place (tentatively).

Still need to get my hand on a substrate, C02 system and some nick-knacks. Money is going to be the main problem here though, so It may take me a while to save up for things.

Oh, and I still have to decide on an aquascape... Probably going to try my hand at a "Nature" styled aquarium. Mr. Amano and ADG have gotten to me. Rocks and possibly manzanita/driftwood are in order too. Again, we'll see.

The beast that is my filter.

The Ikea shelf

Hanging rig

Doors open...

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Have you ever used those sunsun filters before? I have kicked around the idea of one. I would like second canister, and I am currently running a marineland C-220 which i believe is the same size. Other than the colors the shell looks identical. I read a few horror stories in which they leaked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK club #50

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
Have you ever used those sunsun filters before? I have kicked around the idea of one. I would like second canister, and I am currently running a marineland C-220 which i believe is the same size. Other than the colors the shell looks identical. I read a few horror stories in which they leaked.
Yep, I've used the same one for... 6+ months? I'm trying to remember when I got it. Definitely last year sometime.

It's a good filter, I've had not issues with it at all. The baskets wont come out sometimes (work on it just a little though, and you're fine!) and the one of the elbow parts of the spray bar has a little crack in it, but nothing that is major. For $50 or so, it's a great little filter. You just can't man handle it too much.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
right well not like the marineland one i have is made super well. Also it would be convenient that media is interchangeable as I have extra stuff for it. Might have to grab one for 50 bucks, hard to beat that price.

RAOK club #50

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did the ikea shelf come with the hanging hooks?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
right well not like the marineland one i have is made super well. Also it would be convenient that media is interchangeable as I have extra stuff for it. Might have to grab one for 50 bucks, hard to beat that price.
Definitely give them a try! Treat her nice, and she'll do what you want for a long while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by takadi View Post
Did the ikea shelf come with the hanging hooks?
Nope, it didn't. Those are "j" hooks came with the AquaticLife hanging kit. You can also get them for cheap at pretty much any hardware store.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Still no progress... and I'm dying! No aquarium setup for almost 3 months! Since the only thing holding back as always is money and the only big ticket item I need is a C02 system, I'll be setting up the tank up low-tech for a while, as I save up. Anyway, here is what I've decided on for some flora and fauna and substrate:
  • Peacock Gudgeons
  • Various Tetras
  • Black Diamond Blasting Sand substrate
  • Various Bacopa and Ludwigia with some Anubias

Should be fun!

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Very good, it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It looks like a good start so far!

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
Very good, it will be interesting to see what you come up with.
Oh, It's my tank it had better be interesting!

Anyway, here is a quick Windows Paint drawing of what I have in mind.
  • Light Green - Various green stem plants (Bacopa?)
  • Dark Green - Anubias nana 'petite' and Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis parvula)
  • Red - Ludwigia repens (some sort of red stem plant)
  • Brown - Driftwood

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
What are you going to do for co2?

I REALLY want to hang my light... how does that IKEA thingy hold it?

Bolivian Rams make everything better.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by halffrozen View Post
What are you going to do for co2?

I REALLY want to hang my light... how does that IKEA thingy hold it?
Not totally sure just yet. Probably whatever pressurized system that gets the job done and doesn't cost an arm or a leg. Maybe something like this though:

• 10lb C02 cylinder
  • Milwaukee MA957 C02 Regulator

The IKEA shelf thing is doing well. It attaches to studs in the wall via four scews. To test it, I added 20lbs in weights to the shelf with the light fixture attached with not problems.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
why no updates?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
why no updates?
Unfortunately, I've been trying to sell the tank off. Our family is changing bedrooms up since my older bro is leaving for college, so I'll be getting a smaller room that won't accommodate the girth of a 40 Breeder. Sad, I know...

I'm not exactly sure what I'll be doing next. I setup a little nano tank today, and I'll start a journal once I get back from the LFS with the fauna. There is a chance I will be gone for about 4 months next summer, so that in itself may prevent me from doing anything large scale. Well have to see!

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode