Hop's non-home demolition 110 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hop's non-home demolition 110 gallon

Well the dust storm settled enough to throw out a few pictures of the 110 gallon tank. In a nut shell I had to move everything from the 125 gallon tank into this one while the 125 serves as a home for some salt water critters for a while.

I had obtained (actually the wife obtained) this 110 gallon tall tank from a frieind who was moving to Alaska and didn't want to take it with him. So we got this tank and five huge idiots (or so I called them, the wife would call them tin foil barbs). They smallest one was over 12" and the largest one was nearly 16". Interesting fish, but this tank was not big enough for them. They also splashed several gallons of water a week out onto the floor. I was finally able to find someone with a larger (180 gallon) tank to take them off my hands and just in the nick of time.

Anyways, here is the tank as it sits tonight, May 1st. I only have 110 watts of PC lighting over it right now, I'll be adding another 110 watts tomorrow and getting the Co2 plumbed in. I always liked the look of taller planted tanks such as sk8ks, so I guess I finally get to tinker with one and see what progresses.

Thanks again to every one who supported the 125 gallon project!

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 01:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow...16" Tin foil barbs, what length do they become eating size Actually when I was reading your post and it said you got the tank from a friend who was moving ect...and "we got this tank and five huge idiots" I was starting to think he left his kids with you too! Now the tank looks great. How long has it been set up? What's are the dimensions of a 110? Really like that last picture with the Clown loach between the petrified wood, he almost looks like a smiley face
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
Wow...16" Tin foil barbs, what length do they become eating size Actually when I was reading your post and it said you got the tank from a friend who was moving ect...and "we got this tank and five huge idiots" I was starting to think he left his kids with you too! Now the tank looks great. How long has it been set up? What's are the dimensions of a 110? Really like that last picture with the Clown loach between the petrified wood, he almost looks like a smiley face
LOL. Beleive me there was more than one joke floating around about them being pan-sized They were just too big for a 48" long tank. They were just plain out neurotic, swimming in circles all day long. If they got a burst of energy, it would result in breaking something. In one year they broke two heaters, a powerhead and an intake for a HOT magnum.

The tank was set up on saturday after modifying a differant stand I had around for my old 75 gallon and the tank is 48l X 18"d X 30"h. This tank is over 25 years old. It is made with 5/8" thick glass, weighs a ton and has no center brace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
Hop, tank looks great!! Please keep us updated with the saltwater project too.

Also, (a little off topic) Thanks again for the plants. My tank is starting to look "planted".

What is the long plant on the left side of the last pic?

Mike

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaeffer
Hop, tank looks great!! Please keep us updated with the saltwater project too.

Also, (a little off topic) Thanks again for the plants. My tank is starting to look "planted".

What is the long plant on the left side of the last pic?

Mike
Thanks mshaeffer. I was hoping that the last batch of plants made it to you without incident! Here's the salt water update. On sunday I put 200lbs of substrate in and started filling the tank with RO/DI water. After twelve hours I still have 3/4 of a tank to fill.LOL I would let it run overnight, but I'm affraid something will go wrong between the tap and RO/DI and spray water all over the place....again

And the taller plant is Cryptocoryne Balansae. It was really filling out for a while and seemed to go dormant about a month ago. We'll see if the new tank stimulates it or makes it melt

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking good Hop! Glad to see the new setup is up and running, and looking this nice this soon! Is that a discus on the right side of the second pic?

Paul

"I'd like to think oysters transcend national barriers." - Roger Waters

Eheim Pimp Club Member #64

My old 100 Gallon SeaClear established 11/7/2004. 4 GE Daylight Ultras on IceCap VHO ballasts. 3" Eco-complete substrate. Eheim 2028, pressurized CO2, external reactor. 18 watt Turbo Twist UV.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Running
Looking good Hop! Glad to see the new setup is up and running, and looking this nice this soon! Is that a discus on the right side of the second pic?
Thanks and yes that is one of the remaining three discus.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode