Emersed round two..Goodbye dear crypts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
Emersed round two..Goodbye dear crypts

So round two has started..Once again its not pretty, as its only a derimmed 55 lit by sunlight. The substrate is 4-6" of MGOPM. So far the only inhabitants are two swords, a few crypts, dwarf sag, s repens, anubias nana(that I pretty much killed in one of my tanks...aka temporary refugee), and some sort o grass. Well the plants and springtails galore along with some sort of tiny white worms (look like the microworms I used to raise..assuming some sort of nematode...not hurting the plants as I can tell yet so I will let them all be) Its been setup a week now so I guess its about time for this..

Without further wait here are some crappy pictures.

I probly should explain the ugly plastic cup. I am a huge believer in drainage and this tank was not set up to drain properly. The bottom and lower parts of the sides are full of small holes. It fills with water and I drain it..(mist, drain, mist, drain. over and over) I drain it about once a day. Its also useful to tell how wet the soil is. If it fills to the level of the soil its a swamp, if it barely gets anything in it then its to dry. I think this may help me control water levels more precisely when I start to simulate seasons.

What kinda sword am I?

Does this help?

What about this?

The S. Repens trying to hold of the Dwarf Sag. invasion.

Random crypt shot.

Is this C. Parva?

2 of the 3 new babies..went in yesterday morning and one is already attempting to throw up a new leaf. (C. Lingua)

Finally the only pic I like out of the bunch..no clue why I like it.

Last edited by BIG_Z; 07-17-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: meh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thats good idea with the cup. I acutally started my first emesred set up last nigth. I want to try to grow HC in my hydroponic bubbler.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

One week in, trimmed some leaves and a little new growth

God, I wish I had something other than a cell phone for pics.

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well I have tore down the first emersed setup that I did so this tank is getting kinda cluttered.

Thinking about tearing out the Dwarf Sag., S. Repens, and the Micro swords as they are starting to act like weeds.

The Plants currently living in the tank as of this morning are.
Amazon sword
Dwarf Sag.
S. Repens
Anubias Nana
Micro swords
C. wendtii red
C. wendti green
C. wendti tropica
C. wendti hybrid green
C. pontederiifolia
C. nevellii
C. willisi x lucens
C. Lingua
C. lucens
C. undulata
C. spirialis
C. ciliata
And a few crypts that I do not know what they are.

For the record this tank seems to be a pain to plant. Since it is kinda boggy at the moment the whole bed seems to move as one. Push on one side and the other side raises, it reminds me of a water bed. Need to dry out the substrate a good bit.

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

Last edited by BIG_Z; 05-05-2012 at 11:27 PM.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Another week so another update.
Have started to thin out the Dwarf Sag. Ripped about 10 clusters of it out so far. The S. Repens has been trimmed but no rooted pieces ripped out. The crypts seem to be taking ok (no great but ok) to the tank. I have dropped the water level to around 2" (it was at 3.5)
Week 2-3

Week 1-3

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I'm about to start my first emersed tank, got some HC and hairgrass coming. Any tips so far, that you haven't outlined? How is the plastic cup system working?

[50g][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
hi Big
i think it will be nice to put a flexible plastic to divide a certain plant like dwarf sag
it will keep them from invading other area

the up drain is a graet idea
i think i will apply it on my emersed anubias setup

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitFUUL View Post
I'm about to start my first emersed tank, got some HC and hairgrass coming. Any tips so far, that you haven't outlined? How is the plastic cup system working?
You dont see it in any of the pictures but I have a fan in the tank to keep air moving. (small computer fan) Other than that no tips to give, its all pretty much straight forward. Trial and error is your best friend.

The cup seems to be working pretty well, it is a pain to keep draining but I am liking it overall. To be honest in my next setup I will not be using the cup method. Going for a modified false bottom system next time (what I was going to do with this one, but had the itch to start it and I did not have all the supplies gathered)

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Another week another update.
Ripped out and roaked about 20 pieces of dwarf sag. Did some basic trimming and other than that its business as usual. This week about 15 baby crypts have popped up (of which 6 are off of the crypts that went in this tank 13 days ago). Makes me worry this tank is going to get way to crowded way to quick.
Week 1 - Week 4

Week 3 - Week 4

Little guys

random shot of the cluster..yeah I am losing track of which kind each are.....

used to think this was anubias nana ..turns out it was only staying small because it hated my tanks. What kind am I?

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

So I have been told that the anubius is Anubias Barteri 'Coffeefolia' :P guess my nana guess a few weeks ago could not have been more wrong

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

This is looking good, 4 new babies have popped up since the last round of pics...4 plants in 24 hours I will call that a win. The best part is one of the babies if from the Florida Sunset I got 11 days ago..It was grown submerged and it has decided to not only convert to emersed seamlessly but to start making little ones as well. Ahh, what a good day O and I ripped out all the micro swords and pennywort in the tank..grows to fast and its ugly and worth pretty much nothing...I have it floating atm.. If anyone wants it pm me.

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'm glad that your emersed tank is working out well for you, I started one about the same time with a pretty different approach so it's cool to see the different ways it can be done. Best of luck and hopefully you continue getting great growth!
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well D Day for this tank is slated for the 8th of this month. Mold has reared its ugly head and I am going to hopefully solve this issue once and for all. I am going to be redoing the tank and capping the soil this time so that I can flood without floating the soil. If all goes well I might just remove plants and then cap without needing all new soil, I guess that depends on how the mold issue is looking as of next week.

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Edit..maybe I will just see how far I can drop the humidity, I was at around 95%..I am dropping down to 75%..so far the only thing suffering is my one sword..It was not ready..less than 2 hours at the new level and the leaves look like wilted lettuce..Worse case scenario I kill all my plants in that tank and get to start over...this oddly feels like a game of Russian roulette big risk and big reward

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hey looks great! A suggestion for future emersed setups... Using eggcrate on small pieces of PVC pipes to life it off the bottom 2-3" with fiberglass screening over and then your soil of choice (this is for tanks that don't use well draining soils like Aquasoil/sand; but for things like potting soil.) This really helps the plants out, as they water is never standing and stagnant. I've had extremely great success with my emersed plants using potting soil mixed with some peat on top of the drainage layer. Holds water well but can aerate very easily. Just a word of advice.

Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode