Nate's 20L blyxa jungle (update 5/15 post 20) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nate's 20L blyxa jungle (update 5/15 post 20)

Ok I Figured I would sort of redo this thread considering its a "bit" different from when I started it-

Equipment-
Marineland penguin biofilter 150
Coralife dual t5 6700k 18w, 5500k 18w colorspectrum? not sure on the last bulb
Aqueon single strip t8 light 15w 6700k

Substrate- ADA amazonia

Ferts- API leaf zone (iron) and Seachem flourish once or twice a week

Flora- blyxa japonica-pogostemon erectus-some bacopa pinched off my big tank to revitalize it, random sprigs of watersprite, ludwigia pruesis?- some sort of baby val and Ludwigia Repens I think

Fauna-Ether a breeding pair or two egg laying female electric blue angelfish.

Before- on april 1st

After- April 26th-

May 15th-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kribkeeper888; 05-16-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
For some reason the left side reminds me of a desert. It looks like grass growing under the shade of a dried out tree. I like it!

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcancino View Post
For some reason the left side reminds me of a desert. It looks like grass growing under the shade of a dried out tree. I like it!
Yeah, same here. Wasnt intentional lol thanks I want to get a ton more blyxa but I cant find it anywhere. The stuff I got was a fluke buy at a lfs

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kribkeeper888 View Post
Ferts- API leaf zone (iron)
Seachem flourish once or twice a week
The blyxa would do better with some potassium sulfate instead of the Leaf zone. Cheapest here. Also you are going to need Seachem excel. Excel alternative is Metricide or Cidex which is 60% stronger mL per mL. For Excel (1.5% Glut.) versus Metricide (2.5% Glut) Mathically is 1.5/2.5=0.6. is Thus dilluting 6:1. A quart is approx $25 on Ebay. At dealmed.com 1 gallon of Metricide 2.6% glut. selling for $18.20. shipping $9.99 More dosing info here

Best buys for the money are at the forum. Now the weather is great in many states for shipments, so post an add in the swap n shop section for blyxa

Great start!! Can't wait to see it as growth increases.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
The blyxa would do better with some potassium sulfate instead of the Leaf zone. Cheapest here. Also you are going to need Seachem excel. Excel alternative is Metricide or Cidex which is 60% stronger mL per mL. For Excel (1.5% Glut.) versus Metricide (2.5% Glut) Mathically is 1.5/2.5=0.6. is Thus dilluting 6:1. A quart is approx $25 on Ebay. At dealmed.com 1 gallon of Metricide 2.6% glut. selling for $18.20. shipping $9.99 More dosing info here

Best buys for the money are at the forum. Now the weather is great in many states for shipments, so post an add in the swap n shop section for blyxa

Great start!! Can't wait to see it as growth increases.
Thanks! THe leaf zone is mostly for the iron and I do plan on getting some other ferts from GLA soon. I also am going to inject DIY co2 for a while to see how that does.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks cool. I have a couple tanks that end up being a random mix of fish and plants.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lol thanks the jewel cichlid is a fav of my dads since he bought it. Personally I woould rather do like a pair of double red apistos or something but whatever right. I have recently been entertaining notions of doing a "mountain" look hardscape in this tank but Im not sure yet

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok quick update, Its been a little while, sorry for the terrible photos but my camera is a peice of crap lol Ok so I got rid of the wood for tannin reasons, I also got rid of the 2 random fish that were in here before and added 4 amanos and 20 harlequin rasboras. The pogostemon erectus is finally making a good push for the suberged look and im plain not sure what the blyxa is doing other then getting infested with black hair that the shrimp seem to love.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Love the amano!

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
What's the colorful looking plant next to the p. erectus? Also if you're wanting some foreground plants I can hook you up with s. repens or a little bit of glosso

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcancino View Post
What's the colorful looking plant next to the p. erectus? Also if you're wanting some foreground plants I can hook you up with s. repens or a little bit of glosso
Hmm Ill think about it! thanks. The other plant would be ludwigia peruensis I think, they were a couple of "random" plants in a tank and the guy at the store gave them to me lol.

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB79 View Post
Love the amano!
thanks, hes the "boss" shrimp, if one of the others takes a perticular spot of algea he wants he bumps them out of the way everytime

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok so yet again Ive fooled around and moved the rasboras and shrimp to different tanks and put my two "male" electric blue angelfish in the 20 (ok yeah maybe a 20 isnt very big for a couple angelfish but they arnt very big ether) But anyway I left for class today and came back and discovered that my so called male angelfish were laying eggs LOL Ive never bred angels before so any thoughts?

Mother and eggs-

Closer up of the mother-

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Leave them and let them do their thing. Angelfish are extremely good parents. Usually.

"One day...one day, this path will lead us to the White City, and the tower guard will take up the call: the Lords of Gondor have returned!"

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some of the eggs are going opaque and the girl wont let the guy anywhere near the eggs so im thinking she never let him fertilize them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode