KevinC's 72 bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
KevinC's 72 bowfront

Here are some pics of my new tank. Still need to add the CO2, background, and plug some of the light leakage. I built the canopy myself. It houses 4 - 2xODNO T8 bulbs. I got the fish, plants, gravel, driftwood, etc from my 55gal (sold it).

Kevin
Seetide and Seetide like this.

Last edited by KevinC; 03-14-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: new title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Nice job... Keep us updated...

Josh
10g & 46g bf, Filstar XP2, coralife 96w, eco-complete, pressurized CO2 w/ DIY in-line reactor & ferts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Join today!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Wow, that canopy looks great!

-Jeremiah

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the way the lotus looks.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Good start, Kevin. Now get that CO2 in there and watch those plants take off.

5 big ol' kois are pretty snappy too .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

5/1/2006 update

It's been a year, so I thought I'd post an updated picture of my tank. Lots of fish changes - no more Clown Loaches (eating amazon sword leaves), one less angel (two pairs - had to get rid of the "odd man out"), no more SAE's (loaned out to a friend with a bad BBA problem - wasn't sure if they were eating angel eggs - turns out they weren't). Added 9 neon tetras and 3 corys. Also some plant changes: no more Anubias gigantea - tired of the algae magnet! The corkscrew vals are a bit beat up as I treated some BBA with Excel - they melted back. Only one amazon sword - I've had some problems with these lately - not sure why yet. Added a bunch of asian ambulia. Of course my tiger lotus plants are multiplying like crazy - there are about 8 in there now - two will go back to the LFS this week. Java fern explosion on the left - covering two pieces of driftwood. Two large pieces of driftwood added in the center - one was a found piece, one was a purchase. Also added the blue background, 2nd Eheim, and pressurized CO2.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hard Water = African Planted Tank

After moving cross-country (south to north), I found myself with hard water (>220ppm) compared to Charleston, SC (55ppm). So I took the opportunity to use African dwarf Mbuna's in a planted tank.

The tank has been set up for about 2 months now. Just finished treating with Erythromycin for a blue-green outbreak. Finally got the CO2 up where it needs to be (using a drop checker since the rocks increase KH during the week).

Plants are Amazon swords (bought here), tiger lotus (bulbs safely transported from Chas - no light for 3 weeks), vallisneria americana (locally collected), potamogeton of some type (locally collected), java fern and java moss that survived the move, crypt wendtii bronze, and bacopa caroliniana.

Fish are as in my signature. The yellow labs are about 3", but still hide for a short time while I'm close to the tank.

Not anything for an aquascape yet, but I'm waiting for things to grow in and see how the local collections adapt.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 PM

did u have yellow labs in there ...or is this before you got them?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 11:13 PM

oh srry i just didn't see them
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just started my own mbuna planted. Please let me know what plants are working for you. Swords, american vals, tiger lotus, bacopa, and javas? Really? All of them, and for a few months now?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by annedee View Post
Just started my own mbuna planted. Please let me know what plants are working for you. Swords, american vals, tiger lotus, bacopa, and javas? Really? All of them, and for a few months now?
So far yes - the only problem I had is with a locally collected pondweed of some type (potomageton) -fine leaves that the fish have recently started eating. There is still some brown/green algae in the tank so growth of some plants is a bit slow - esp the swords and the bacopa. Javas are really taking off - even the java moss seems to do well - maybe the fish are eating it and it is just growing too fast. . .

Kevin

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, time to update. After finding a cracked brace and fixing that:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ked-brace.html

I finally got everyone/everything back in place. A few changes: The vals weren't doing well - not sure why, so I ripped out the few that were left. The sword suffered some algae, so I had to cut it back quite a bit. Crypts, java fern, java moss, and bacopa are all doing fine. Tiger lotuses are there -just really slow to grow right now. Also left a powerhead in place for now - the extra flow seems nice, though not sure about CO2 outgassing (haven't hooked that back up yet).

Whole tank shot:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kevchem0...56413030439458

swarming:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kevchem0...56434505275954

peeking out from the lair:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kevchem0...56460275079746

One of the dominant demasoni:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kevchem0...56486044883538

Showoff lab:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kevchem0...56507519720034

Kevin

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, still playing around with some things. Fighting diatoms off and on too.

Current Flora:
Hygrophila Corymbosa(Giant Hygro)
Hygrophila Angustofolia (Narrowleaf Hygro)
Crypt. wendtii bronze
Crypt. lucens
java fern and java moss
amazon sword (still small)
red tiger lotus
valisneria (italian I think - though not full height yet)

Current Fauna:
Labidochromis ceruleus (yellow labs): 4 adults + fry
Psuedotropheus demasonii: 7 adults + fry
3x SAE
4x clown pleco

Full tank shot:

Female and male demasoni with tiger lotus:

Dominant male yellow lab:

It seems the fish leave these plants alone - aside from occasional digging. I see the labs tear at the older leaves on the narrowleaf hygro, but no major damage is done. I have been pleasantly surprised the tiger lotus has been ignored. My sunset hygro was not so lucky.

Kevin

Kevin

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
Very nice! My only thing is that you should take a bit of moss and kind of cap the top left piece of driftwood because it ends so abruptly but it otherwise looks really good! Very natural!

Ehfipimp #340!!!
(2215)

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I LOVE planted tanks with African cichlids! Not bad for a guy who updates his thread once a year .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

- Terminated March 2007 -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode