Triple tank home build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Triple tank home build

Notes: As I build this journal please feel free to comment and ask questions. I am still learning the fine art of the freshwater tank and this will be my first attempt at raising and breeding shrimp. As I don't always have time to update this journal as I make changes, I make it a habit to date my entries with the date they occurred so everything will make logical sense.

Well, after spending a few months playing around with a 92 gallon corner tank (see my journal here) with a depth of 36" and height of 24" I decided that bigger isn't always better. I wanted something smaller where everything in easy to reach. Decided 20 gallon max to satisfy this. I also refuse to have a closed top again. It seems like I always finish maintenance, put the hood back on, sit down, and then see something else I want to fix. No more! This tank will have no hood. I always seem to be wanting to try out new ideas so multiple tanks will be needed. Additionally, I hate seeing equipment drape down the side or behind my tank. I put all these previously learned lessons together and came up with my new tank design. Of course finding something to these exacting specifications was proving difficult so I decided to build my own.

March 12, 2012
It begins!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
This is interesting. Will the bottom two be for quarantine/odds and ends? I'm guessing they will be 10 gallon cubes?

Definitely do an open top. I can't imagine hooded tanks. It'd drive me nuts.

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DECOMMISSIONED
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The goal was to have two open top 10g tanks on the middle shelf with lights attached above and hidden by the top support beam. The top of the stand will need to support a fully loaded 20g. Depending upon how much I like the setup the 20g will either get clip on lights or in wall fixtures. The two 10g will be Iwagumi style. As the first two get settled, I will work on the 20g. I'm hoping to hide its equipment by doing a styrofoam rock background.

March 15, 2012

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
This is interesting. Will the bottom two be for quarantine/odds and ends? I'm guessing they will be 10 gallon cubes?

Reading faster than I can post! I'll try to keep up
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was able to hide two of these above the tanks, so it shouldn't blind you when looking at the tanks.
I definitely need more experience with the rock layouts. I sat for hours surrounded by this

playing with different layouts. Ended up 80% satisfied so I'll see how things progress from here. The tank on the left uses Fluval substrate while the tank on the right used ADA aquasoil normal capped with powder. (Lesson learned, get it perfect before capping or you will just mix the substrates )

I like the left grouping of rocks, but the right seems too organized. I've got a couple more days to play before my plants arrive.

I like how the splits look as if it was one rock, except for the one on the far right. Once again, need to play a little with that one.

Well, this is it for now. I have some Utricularia Graminifolia on the way. Need to prep the tanks to receive CO2 injection while attempting some high humidity emersed growth.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post

I thought about doing a tri-level stand but opted for cupboards to hide the equipment. I like the cleaner look. You prompted me to take a picture of my fish room so you can see what I have to work with. It is in a very visible spot in my house, right between the kitchen and the living room. As clean as it is, I still want to get rid of the equipment in the corner I will be using for this build.

I must have some OCD, because now that I'm looking at it, the books and electrical cord for the light are bugging the hell out of me! :P

I'm already planning on painting over the wood color on the 55g but that will be documented when I begin its journal.

You can see the hood I built for the 92g that I remove every time I want to get into it...

And a special comment on your last 4 words. Why oh why doesn't anybody talk about this when you first get into the hobby? I read the occasional comment about people doing it for appearances, but never once read or was told about the inconvenience of the dreaded hood. Thanks to that I had the joy of BUILDING one and experiencing it for myself... never again!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky28822 View Post
I thought about doing a tri-level stand but opted for cupboards to hide the equipment. I like the cleaner look. You prompted me to take a picture of my fish room so you can see what I have to work with. It is in a very visible spot in my house, right between the kitchen and the living room. As clean as it is, I still want to get rid of the equipment in the corner I will be using for this build.

I must have some OCD, because now that I'm looking at it, the books and electrical cord for the light are bugging the hell out of me! :P

I'm already planning on painting over the wood color on the 55g but that will be documented when I begin its journal.

You can see the hood I built for the 92g that I remove every time I want to get into it...

And a special comment on your last 4 words. Why oh why doesn't anybody talk about this when you first get into the hobby? I read the occasional comment about people doing it for appearances, but never once read or was told about the inconvenience of the dreaded hood. Thanks to that I had the joy of BUILDING one and experiencing it for myself... never again!
Seriously! When I first started my tank, I had my light resting on the rim right above the water and of course everyday I'd be compelled to stick my arm in there and fool around with something so after a while that got old. I ended up drilling some holes in the wall above the tank and installing a couple shelf brackets to put the light on. Much better!

Looks like your new tanks are coming along already, nice.

"Space and light and order. Those are the things that men need just as much as they need bread or a place to sleep."

DECOMMISSIONED

DECOMMISSIONED

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode