.Mko's. 30 Gallon _________? (brainstorming) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
.Mko's. 30 Gallon _________? (brainstorming)

Hey everyone. It's been another long break between posting due to school and work. A new project has come up since my friend Tom has donated his 30 gallon long tank to me.

Originally I had thought about making a pure iwagumi layout (already have the stones) but with the 30 gallon he also included all his plants. One plant that caught my eye was his bunch of Java Fern. His bundle of java fern is in really good shape and looks really sharp. So sharp that it has made me re think a layout and now im stuck and trying to decide between a panoramic iwagumi layout in a 30 gallon long or... a jungle-like java fern layout with the rocks I already have acting as a base with driftwood and moss working with the scape.

30 Gallon Tank (long)
-T5HO lighting (double bulb)
-Pressurized Co2
-Fluorite substrate (sand/and normal)
-Hydor Inline Heater
-Filters (I have these and must decide among them) :

Eheim Ecco Classic
Eheim 2215
Eheim Ecco Pro 3
Eheim 2217

Plants to choose from:

-Java fern Narrow
-Anubias nana petite
-Anubias coffeefolia
-Java moss
-Spikey Moss
-Fissidens Moss
-Hydrocotyle Verticillata
-Hygrophila Pinatafida
-Eleocharis parvula
-Cryptocoryne Wendtii "Mi Oya"

I have an Algae Army that moves from tank to tank But need to decide on a main Schooling fish.

Either a slender bodied fish if going the Iwagumi way
or
A mid bodied fish if going the jungle-route

Suggestions? Please let me know I need help deciding

again its a 30 gallon Long

Panoramic Iwagumi vs. Layered Jungle Scape

FTS (newly cleaned)

Ferns that made me doubt my Iwagumi Plans:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM
ony
Planted Member

Those are some lush ferns. Would practically be a crime not to use them.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Definitely use those ferns. How do people manage to get them so bushy anyhow?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

haha It's very hard to resist using them i guess i will be leaning towards that kind of scape now. My friend just left them in his tank and they got really really dense

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

any ideas on a good mid sized schooler to add to this tank?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Already looks good bare bottom with just the ferns.

Currently out of the hobby

Forum lurking every now and then
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2012, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks ged thats what i thought too haha

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been researching into it more and will probably set up a tank with a scape similar to the following:

http://youtu.be/OA928TEclqY
http://www.aquariumplantsandsupplies...Moiz_large.jpg
http://www.aquabotanic.com/wp-conten...k_nameless.jpg

I really like the look of the cliff edges with java fern and then sand throughout the tank

I was thinking of having a nice well colored school of Odessa barbs and maybe a corydoras species along the bottom since my tank will have that sand substrate look to it.

a nice school of these badboys (Odessa barbs):
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...86ebfb2564.jpg

and maybe a school of these guys along the bottom:
http://naturaqua.fr/PhotoPois_1/Cory...areus_F_02.jpg

"corydoras duplicareus" beautiful cory

What do you guys think? let me know

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this one too http://youtu.be/fIK7iCw3fd8

Does anyone know what type of sand these tanks are using? I like the lighter variety of sand. Is there as specific kind i should be looking for?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rocks to be used for the scape:

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does anyone know whether sand used as substrate should be inert or not?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another long break from the hobby.. and with winter approaching its time for me to finally get this tank back into a progressing manner. All the equipment and plants I have to work with still remain the same. I still have those lush ferns and the moutain stone.

I may be replacing this 30 gallon with the Hagen waterhome 30 gallon just so I can achieve a rimless look to the tank.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

You've found yourself some very nice tanks to draw some inspiration from!
That Java Fern has be completely reconsidering it. I had decided not to use it on my driftwood but that stuff looks amazing.

I am in the planning stage for my Hagen Waterhome aquarium myself, so I have a few warnings for you.

Its 32G as far as I can tell, but the thing with this tank is its odd dimensions.
It measures 31.2" wide, so most 30" fixtures won't quite fit on it.

The affordable Odyssea brand is out on account that they don't make a 30".
Current USA 30" fixtures will not fit with the provided 'legs'.
The Coralife Aqualight 30" fits apparently, as plantedtank member Sidefunk has one on his Waterhome ( https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=waterhome )

Overall, I really like the tank. I happen to be a fan of the black silicone rimless that most people hate on

Can't wait to see how your tank turns out!

On a side note, us Canucks have to stick together. We really should try to get our local forum more active so we can trade clippings etc..
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkyn View Post
You've found yourself some very nice tanks to draw some inspiration from!
That Java Fern has be completely reconsidering it. I had decided not to use it on my driftwood but that stuff looks amazing.

I am in the planning stage for my Hagen Waterhome aquarium myself, so I have a few warnings for you.

Its 32G as far as I can tell, but the thing with this tank is its odd dimensions.
It measures 31.2" wide, so most 30" fixtures won't quite fit on it.

The affordable Odyssea brand is out on account that they don't make a 30".
Current USA 30" fixtures will not fit with the provided 'legs'.
The Coralife Aqualight 30" fits apparently, as plantedtank member Sidefunk has one on his Waterhome ( https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=waterhome )

Overall, I really like the tank. I happen to be a fan of the black silicone rimless that most people hate on

Can't wait to see how your tank turns out!

On a side note, us Canucks have to stick together. We really should try to get our local forum more active so we can trade clippings etc..

Hey fellow canadian! haha thanks for the input and the link really helped me see what could be done with a tank with these dimensions. For lighting I may just hang a 3 foot t5 above it via suspension so it will always fit haha just gotta center it. If you're starting one too I'd love to follow your thread as well.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah I've gathered some really nice driftwood from the local river and played around with some layouts. I am patiently putting away a bit of 'mad money' to pay for the light mentioned above, heater, substrate, second aquaclear 50, etc.. Not to mention the plant list just keeps getting longer

I recently (yesterday) applied for a new job (career) that may move me around the province repeatedly during the apprenticeship and journeyman stages so I'm a bit unsure whether I should go ahead and start up the new tank now. :S

If I can convince my wife that waterchanges are fun, then I will to go ahead anyway since she will be able to maintain the tank if I'm away.
I'll PM you if and when I go ahead with the tank and I'll patiently wait to see what you get up to with yours.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode