Bert's 15 Gallon Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bert's 15 Gallon Journal

Hello there all! It sure is good to be back on the forum. The past few months have been absolutely crazy so I havenít had time to check out whatís new with the Planted World. Anywho, as almost none of you will remember I started on the board almost 2 years ago with a little 10gallon tank. I still had that little 10 up until... this morning. I'd been itching to move everything to a little bit larger tank for a while, but lighting, I thought, was going to be an issue. The poor thing was neglected as all get out and I actually apologized to my plants for being such a bad caretaker. Well, last night I decided I'd get to it and prep my empty 15 for it's new occupants. And for your viewing pleasure, pictures of the set up.

The plants that I used came out of my 10 gallon. It was a royal pain getting them out, but I was very happy about all the root development.

The tank is a 15 gallon that I had lying around. Just cleaned it up and put on the 2 fixtures I had on 10. Not much light, but that changes.

These are the rocks that I used for a little terracing. I've never tried it before so I figured I'd give it shot.

Here's the setup with all the plants in place. Note the kinda terrace on the right.

This is the lft side with my Crypt forest.

And the right side with my terrace and Anubias Barteri 'Coffeefolia'. Color is poor because of the bad water conditions in the 10. I'll be adding DIY CO2 and ferts in the near future.

And the finished tank. Notice it has much more light? That's from the 20W screw-in compact flourecent. 6500k. Couldnt believe it when I found them a Wally World.

And there she is lady's and gents. My completed tank. Well, completed for now. I'll keep ya'll updated when I add CO2, ferts and when I start adding more fish. Oh I suppose I could ask this now. I was thinking of adding 15 black neon tetras. Would this be too many for a 15 or should I just stick to 10. This is the first time I've pretty much ever tried to post pics so we'll see how it goes. Thanks!

Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Why black? I would go with regular ones or cardinals, but thats just me.
If you keep up good water conditions, you could even go with 20. Lots of small schooling fish fit in small tanks.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
How are Black Neons at staying mid-water? I have Cardinal, Rummynose and Blue Flame Tetras and all like to cruise the bottom third of my 40g tank.

With your plants occupying the lower half of your tank it may look kind of empty up top. Maybe some Harlequin Rasboras, or their narrow wedge cousins, Rasbora (Trigonostigma) espei or hengeli.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

The main reason I'd like to go with the Black neon's as opposed to cardinals or regular neon's is because they're just something different. Don't get me wrong, I love the intense blueís and reds, but I donít know if that's I want in this tank. bharada, from what I've read they do prefer the upper regions of the tank, but intense lighting can subdue their colors and make them skittish. That and they may fade into the background. The other thing is, I'm not sure how they'd get along with my Neolamprologus Brevis pair that is now in that tank. The male is fairly big(for a Brevis) and can be aggressive(fended off an adult male Altolamp. Compressiceps on a daily basis in the 75gallon he was in), but he usually just tends to his female. So if anybody knows how well tetras do with shell dwellers, lemme know. I ask these questions because I've, well, never kept tetras before. I have, however, kept Cichlids for a few years now, so water changes, water chemistry, feeding and the like are nothing new to me. It's fertilizing and keeping the chemistry right for a planted tank that I've forgotten how to do, so I'll be on the forum for a while re-researching. I did all this a year ago, but have since forgotten some . My old test kit is no longer accurate so I'll be getting a new one soon, so donít get on to me about that! lol. Let me know what ya'll think a tank! And a quick pic of my little fish room for thoes intrested.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Good looking tank so far, them crypts. need a root trim!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Funny thing is, I did trim them! Took off probably 6"+ of roots. Dont worry, I left plenty. I guess I just didnt plant them deep enough. Thanks for the comment.

Bert
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 02:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Oh I forgot to mention that you have sooo many tanks, I don't know how you could manage to keep them all running. Its been a tough time already for me to take care of my 20g.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

It's a chore no doubte, but a chore I enjoy. And I'm still old school, siphions and 5 gallon buckets.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the responses! . I kid, I kid. Just expected a little more feed back. So far, everything is going pretty decent. No algae, woo hoo. And my crypts are melting, not so good, but I expected it. As of tomorrow, the tank will have been set up for a week, can anybody clue me in as to when would be the best time to start adding CO2 and ferts? I'm not concerned with how much just yet, I'd just like to know when. I'll leave thoes questions for lil later, till after I've got my test kit. Thanks!

Bert
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey Bert, have you added the fish yet?

I was at our local plant club (SFBAAPS) monthly open house a couple of weeks ago, and one of the members was describing a crypt he was offering, telling us that he just lops the leaves off to encourage smaller leaves. When I pulled a massive stand of wendtii out of my 40 I replanted 4 that had really long petioles and leaves that all started melting after a few days. I now think it's easier to just start off by planting a bare rhizome and eliminate the inevitable melting leaf stage. It obviously works as all the little bits of rhizome that were left in the gravel have sprouted into a new stand.

óBill

|
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

That makes a disturbing amount of since. I need to get in there and get rid of the dead leaves anyways. The leaves that had just started to emerge when I moved them are doing great, albeit they'll probably be a little stunted. It's not the first time I've moved these crypt's. First time lost almost all the leaves and they came back with avengeance. Anybody know where I might be able to post my CO2 question so I can get some advice? Thanks!

Bert

P.s. oops, forgot about the fish question. Nope, I havent gotten the fish yet. I'm waiting for the tank get settled before I add any. Any advice as to when I should add the fish would also be helpful .
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

In a new tank I typically wait a week for the plants to settle in before adding fish. Start with a small group or maybe a few cleanup crew (Otos or Corys) so you don't overwhelm the bio filter.

CO2 questions ususally go in either the General or Hardware sections, depending on which aspect of CO2 injection your question is about (levels or equipment).

óBill

|
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:07 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice looking tank! I like the terracing you did with the stones around the anubias -- it makes the tank look bigger than a 15g. And I love your fish room. I hope you have a very comfy chair in the middle there somewhere -- must be a nice place to relax!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert
Wow, thanks for all the responses! . I kid, I kid. Just expected a little more feed back. So far, everything is going pretty decent. No algae, woo hoo. And my crypts are melting, not so good, but I expected it. As of tomorrow, the tank will have been set up for a week, can anybody clue me in as to when would be the best time to start adding CO2 and ferts? I'm not concerned with how much just yet, I'd just like to know when. I'll leave thoes questions for lil later, till after I've got my test kit. Thanks!

Bert
CO2 starts right away. Do it ASAP. Ferts should start when each plant has grown about 10 new leaves, or 7-8 on the anubias.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Right away? He he...... oops . I'll get it set up today and I'll probably order the ferts this weekend. It looks like the crypt melting is starting to stop and I can see a few new leaves starting. I finally got the tetras. I decided to go with the Black Neons, 15 of em. Beautiful little fish. All of them look healthy and a varacious little eaters. They'll be in a 10 gallon Q.T tank for a week or 2.

uncskainch, thanks for the comment. No comfy chair as of yet, but I'm workin on it. I'm just not sure if I'll be adding anymore tanks. If I do, I may not have room. Going in there at night is awesome, very peaceful. You can see the tank lights from the street if I leave the blinds open. It's a very cool effect if the rest of the lights in the house are off. Thanks again for the comment!

Bert

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode