Sealing concrete? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sealing concrete?

Howdy! I'm an experienced herper doing my first GS foam/concrete wall construction in a pennplax reptology 32x19x26 tank. here is a link to an album of the work i've done so far:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5831267...7629550797649/

I am looking all around at various forums for what to do next, and basically I'm going to do a light concrete coating over all of the foam and paint it with non-toxic acryllic paint. However, I see a lot of posts suggesting that I need to cure the concrete, most further suggesting that I do this via soaking my fake rock structure in a vinegar/water solution. Since my creation is my entire tank, I clearly can't soak it, so before I go applying concrete, oh gurus of tank building, can you offer any suggestions for how i will seal this concrete?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ahh brain fart. Well anyway when I was doing my pond i got a bag that did the whole pond. It was very fine and when you mixed it is was very watery and you just spread a light coat on the waterproof your pond. (yes my pond is concrete) I can't remmeber the name of it exactly. This is probably a waste of a post. Ahhh fustrates me that i can't remember lol. I got it from a building supply place. sorry i couldn't help
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/95%)
DryLok is the way to go. Just paint it on since its a paint and is made just for this purpose. Tons of people use this to skip the "curing" process when making DIY Foam Rock Backgrounds.

Other options I seen used is marine epoxy but that is quite costly and can be a messy, smelly job.

Eheim Pimp Club #481

RAOK CLUB #29

Tags
concrete, rock wall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode