New to forum, tank pics and question... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to forum, tank pics and question...

I just recently found plantedtank.net and have found it to be a great resource. I am in the process of setting up a planted tank. It is a 40 gal breeder with 2 2xODNO 20wT12's and 1 NO 20wT12. I am not sure of what this makes the wattage come out to and any help with this calculation would be appreciated.

Here is a shot of my tank as it stands today. It still has lots of work to go.

I am planning on installing pressurized CO2 but have yet to do it. I already have a tank and regulator from an old kegerator and just need a needle valve and some tubing. I am also planning on adding lots of plants.

This tank will be a native fish only tank with fish I catch locally here in Arkansas. Here is a pic of my favorite fish so far that I have caught. It is a rainbow darter. There are 5 males and 3 females in the tank currenlty.

Does anyone know what type of moss/plant that is pictured above. I collected it locally as well and figured I would give it a try as I liked the look of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:14 AM

I didnt know fish like that existed in the US in the wild, thats a nice looking one
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 05:01 AM
FMZ
Planted Member

It sure is a nice looking fish. Can't seem to id the moss properly.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 05:55 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearljam11
I didnt know fish like that existed in the US in the wild, thats a nice looking one
I didn't know, either. That's pretty cool.

You might want to get a smaller-grained gravel before sticking rooted plants in. Maybe try Eco-Complete? What is the pH of the water rainbow darters are found in? I found some info on them; they like a temperature of 39 - 64F., so you can keep plants that can tolerate cool water. This ought to be interesting.

Nolan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
Cabomba is a plant that likes cooler temps I believe...and its native to the US.

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Per

The moss looks like Fontinalis antipyretica, but I'm not 100% sure ...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments and answers.

The rainbow darter is found in relatively cool waters although many people have had great success keeping them in temps ranging into the 70's. I guess I will see how it goes.

I am waiting on a shipment of eco-complete now. I ordered it a week ago, so it should be here anytime. I hope it doesn't cloud the water like I have seen pictures of it doing.

I will look into that scientific name for the moss. Thanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 06:24 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
There is a guy named Dr. Tan (in singapore I think) who has been identifying aquatic mosses for members on other forums. I would try to get in touch with, and send him a sample of your moss. Since you know exactly where it comes from, there is a good chance he can identify it, or at least give you a genus name. They might even send you a sample of Taiwan or Singapore moss for your trouble . . . killies.com . . . I didn't say that . . .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I would definetaly say the moss is a Fontinalis species. I see this moss when I go fishing, mostly in fast water growing on shale. I have a small amount of it in my tank now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode