Jays 46 bowfront - hopefully my best yet - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Jays 46 bowfront - hopefully my best yet

Hey! I'm back after awhile of working, I had a 30g , and got alot of information for it from here. After working awhile with that and doing some stuff with my 55, Ive decided to do a new aquarium, not sure on fish yet, but a good planted tank definatly. Unlike the 30 Im starting from scratch and doing this one perfect.(hopefully) Any advice/input/ideas are welcome. Here goes:

Ive heard SO MUCH good stuff about Eheim I finally decided to get the 2213, Its pretty much my first real canister filter. was a snap to set up and its running nice and quiet. so far I love it.
I have a 192 watt aqualight on the way , 2x96w freshwater version and Im probally going to order a moonlight pretty soon cause they are just plain nifty.
As far as C02 goes, Ill probally set up DIY with hagen ladders cause I already have 2 ladders and dont want to learn/spend money on an automated pressurized system, it seems like to much trouble- maybe later down the road

I started out using some flourite as a base for substrate, then covered it with pea gravel from lowes so I didnt have to blow tons of money on rock.
Heres a picture of the thing as Im working on it

Heres a picture of it filled and ready to rock (not really, but we can act like it is ready)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 01:18 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
More gravel/flourite, looks better and is easier to plant with IMHO. Plus you can slope the substrate easier. Should be fun....
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 01:55 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearljam11
...and doing this one perfect.(hopefully) Any advice/input/ideas are welcome.
I've been really happy with my 46g. I currently have a 55w + 96w, though I'll be adding another 55w soon.

To do this one 'perfect', you're gonna have to go pressurized. Perhaps not from the get go. But, with >4WPG, once you get lots of plants in there and start fighting algae issues, you're going to want the balance and elevated levels that pressurized gives you. All you really need is a tank, an all-in-one regulator and a DIY reactor...total price around $200. Personally, the labor savings alone of not having to keep mixing DIY CO2 made it worth it to me.

Can't wait to see the progress!
Brian.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Yes I agree, definately more flourite or as in substrate. I would prefer a finer substrate that way its easier for you to plant. No background so far?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

-Ideas-

Im considering buying a couple bags of ecocomplete and put another layer of substrate with that. Im no sure , maybe that or flourite , or just more gravel since I have some in the bag.. only bad thing about flourite is its a huge pain in the butt to rinse, it seems like dust keeps coming off for eternity !decisions!

-On the background-

the background is going to be black or dark blue, I just havent got it up yet

-On C02-

I say I dont want to buy it , but I probally will not be able to resist - and If I do buy it , Ill probally get out of hand and end up getting a nice moniter and everything..
cause thats how I roll..
really is unfortunate for my wallet...
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 09:27 AM

If you get any more gravel, go with Flourite. Gravel cocktails (and yes, it will mix) look horrible unless you completely cover the substrate with a dense 'lawn' of something.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla
If you get any more gravel, go with Flourite. Gravel cocktails (and yes, it will mix) look horrible unless you completely cover the substrate with a dense 'lawn' of something.
Usually I agree, but I did see an eco/flourite combo somewhere around and it looked kind of neat. Very well may be here - I'll look around.

Kathy
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 12:32 PM

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14163

Found it - here ya go Jay!

(Look - I'm now "planted tank obsessed." Who'd a thunk it?!)
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Ive decided to do the following things, Ill post pictures of them when I get the stuff.. gotta wait for payday first though =P

A. Im going to keep the current gravel but add a layer of flourite (2 bags), It should look fine as long as they are all brown/natural colors. I want glosso or hairgrass anyhow

B. Im going to get pressurized c02, no controller, and have it go off and on with the lights. as per anonapersonas suggestion.. makes sense. and not getting a controller makes it 1 hundred bucks cheaper

Yes GTAPuffgal, thanks for finding that..I agree, that tank looks very nice, I hope that the darker brown of the flourite blends in decently with the gravel I have.. I could be careful to only let the top layer show I suppose. meh.. Im rambling
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Not a very exciting update (unless your a light junkie I guess) but an update nonetheless , I got my lights in today, 2x96 coralife, quite nice!

let there be light
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearljam11
Not a very exciting update (unless your a light junkie I guess)
I am. So, thanks for posting. I confess, I like to follow other threads re: the same tanks I have . But, so do the rest of you . Great way to get "ideas".

I'll throw my $.02 into the hat. When I set up my tank a year ago, I didn't have enough coin for pressurized CO2, but I had all the rest of the gear, so I launched it anyway. Algae - ugh. Two step forward, there steps back, and a couple weeks later my regulator and bottle saved the tank. Now, granted, there is a difference between NO CO2 and DIY CO2, so results may vary.

Nevertheless, if I was in your shoes, I would run only one of the bulbls (96w) until you get the pressurized system. Just a thought.

Ted

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Well I got a huge check this week thank god lol. Im buying the JBJ regulator, 3 bags of eco-complete and a 5lbs tank

Going to get c02 going and take all that hope depot gravel out and put in a thin layer of flourite on the bottom and the rest eco-complete - kind of like the tank GTApuffgal showed us earlier, only not so mixed.. though im sure with time it will look mixed
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looking good there, what is going to be your hardscape?
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Please keep udating us... I just installed a diy co2 w/ hagen ladder yesterday and i am getting like 1 bps and mine is a 46g bf exactly like yours with one coralife 96w and ecocomplete...

Josh
10g & 46g bf, Filstar XP2, coralife 96w, eco-complete, pressurized CO2 w/ DIY in-line reactor & ferts.

- Join today!
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Well, I ordered a 5lbs. c02 tank, a regulator and an inline reactor - so sometime next week Ill get to toying with that and put a picture of the c02 workings up

I still havent decided on the substrate... Im leaning towards changing it drastically right now, I need to do some more research before I make a decision on that

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode