29 Gallon for Fancy Goldies - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)
29 Gallon for Fancy Goldies

UPDATE: Completely redid this tank. Changes in post 7 - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...69&postcount=7

I started this tank back in August. It was my first real planted tank. I am still getting the hang of things. This tank is pretty crazy cause all along it has been trial and error...just stick it in there and see if it grows!

I have exactly one shot of my initial planning with my first piece of driftwood.

Here is how it looked shortly after being set up and planted.

This is a shot of how crazy it got prior to its last trim a few days ago.

And here it is today:

I'm going to try to complete the stats for this tank, but I know that I have forgotten what some of the stems are. The most recent addition was some Leopard val that I hope will fill in the back right corner.

This tank is in need of CO2 I think. I have a BBA problem on the driftwood that is not going away. There is CO2 in its near future!

Tank Stats:

29 gallon tall

Filter: Eheim 2215
Lights: Marineland Double Bright LED T5HO (2 bulbs)
Heater: 200W Hydor Inline
Substrate: Eco-Complete Black

Flora: Amazon sword, Java Fern, Wisteria, Lace Java Fern, Rotala indica, dwarf sag, frog bit, Limnophila sessiliflora, Leopard val, duckweed, plus various other stems that I will name as I figure them out.

Fuana:
1 Honey gourami
9 Neon tetra
5 Glowlight Tetra
4 Panda Corys
2 GBR
1 long fin BN pleco

Last edited by CrazyCatPeekin; 09-11-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Add update & link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Wow that's a beautiful piece of wood! I really like the layout. Think those camboba are due for a trimming though, can't see the driftwood anymore

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! It's two pieces, actually. The lower one is covered in java fern.

That's Limnophila sessiliflora that is taking over the tank. It was just trimmed on Sunday, believe it or not. It grows like gangbusters in my tanks.

16 Gallon Spec
Flora: Christmas moss, Buce plants, anubias, Bocapa monnieri, Marimo Moss Balls, Repens, Crypt wendtii
Fauna: Pseudomugil luminatus, Habrosus corys, Honey gourami, Blue Velvet Shrimp, Amanos, Nerite

Eheim Pimp Club Member #498

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
thats why you cant have cabomba in some states.....water weed.....love it and hate it
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Hm interesting, Limnophila sessiliflora looks exactly like cabmoba, and requires little light. I wonder if that's what I have.

That second tank pic looks best imo, I should send you some slower growing stems

current:

| retired:

|
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
Hm interesting, Limnophila sessiliflora looks exactly like cabmoba, and requires little light. I wonder if that's what I have.
It does look very similar. I had cabomba in the past and it did very poorly. Of course, I was using crappy led lighting at the time which probably contributed. The cabomba seemed more...um...feathery...and delicate than the limnophila sessiliflora. The cabomba made an absolute mess when it fell apart. This stuff...not so much.

Are you talking about the stem in your spec? I remember thinking that it looked like Limnophila sessiliflora but that you had it labeled as cabomba. Limnophila sessiliflora is also called Asian Ambulia.

I may try some cabomba in the 100 gallon that I am setting up. It is going to be high light with CO2, so I figure it's got a better shot in there.

16 Gallon Spec
Flora: Christmas moss, Buce plants, anubias, Bocapa monnieri, Marimo Moss Balls, Repens, Crypt wendtii
Fauna: Pseudomugil luminatus, Habrosus corys, Honey gourami, Blue Velvet Shrimp, Amanos, Nerite

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Totally redid the tank this weekend. All past inhabitants have been relocated to other tanks.

Put 2 Eheim 2213s on the tank and a Marineland Double Bright LED. Added a new rock scape, Tahitian Moon sand, and an air curtain.

Currently planted with Java fern, crypt spiralis and anubias nana. I may still add some additional crypts/anubias.

Now home to 3 one inch fancy goldfish and an ivory mystery snail (Frank).

16 Gallon Spec

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatPeekin View Post
Totally redid the tank this weekend. All past inhabitants have been relocated to other tanks.

Put 2 Eheim 2213s on the tank and a Marineland Double Bright LED. Added a new rock scape, Tahitian Moon sand, and an air curtain.

Currently planted with Java fern, crypt spiralis and anubias nana. I may still add some additional crypts/anubias.

Now home to 3 one inch fancy goldfish and an ivory mystery snail (Frank).

Aw, the driftwood was sweet but this scape is cool too!

How big will your fancies get?

They're so adorable I wish they didn't need so much room!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2012, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecGrrl View Post
Aw, the driftwood was sweet but this scape is cool too!

How big will your fancies get?

They're so adorable I wish they didn't need so much room!
That was nice driftwood. I have it socked away and may use it in my 55 gallon.

I am really liking the clean look of this tank. Most of my tanks turn into jungles eventually so this will be a nice change.

The fancies can get 6-8 inches or more. I have heard of people keeping 3 full grown fancies in a 29, but I am not sure if it will be too crowded. I may have to rehome one of them when they start getting big. But that is a ways off. For now they are perfect in this tank.

16 Gallon Spec

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode