delete this thread because i am starting a new one - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post delete this thread because i am starting a new one

sorry i decided to start a new thread because this one is so old.

can somebody please delete it

Last edited by dudleystinks; 02-05-2006 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
FMZ
Planted Member

I can't see your pictures...it says Image hosted by AngelFire
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

sorry if you cant see the pictures try the link below

www.angelfire.com/bug/funfunfun/20gallon.html

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 AM

Did you take the pics during an earthquake, or are you wired on too much caffeine? They're all blurred.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
wow hurts my eyes to look
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 02:22 PM

My 20gallon

Morning Dudley!

That crypt on the left is amazing! I wish I could see the rest of the plants a little better. You're right - a little blurry! (I haven't posted photos yet because I can't seem to get a good one to save my life - so NO criticism for that!) It just makes it hard to see. And I tried to click on the top right photo to get a better look, but I can't get a full size to come up.

Looks like you're off to a great start from what I can tell though! I would suggest a background - probably black - to cover up the wires and such and set off your plants better. We have about the same setup - I have 65 wpg so just a teeny bit more. I look forward to seeing more photos and watching your tank progress.

If hubby brings the *($%# digital home from work tonight, I'm going to TRY to get some shots too and finally take the plunge...)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the comments GTApuffgal i have had the crypt for a while in my 10gallon thatís why its so big i will try to get better pictures of the other plants, but please if you donít have anything constructive to say then just donít say anything. I did say that I wasnít that good with a camera. Maybe you should give me some tips on how to take good pictures instead of repeating how bad I said they were.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 06:03 PM

PTrader: (7/100%)
One word: Tripod
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 06:55 PM

I'm not sure what kind of camera you're using, but if you can set the camera for a faster speed (like 400 ISO) that may help "freeze" the motion a bit. You can also try taking the picture with the tank lights on but the room darkened.

If you have a tripod, great. If you don't, try doing something to stabilize your hands as you hold the camera. I've had good luck holding my elbows close to my body, bracing them against a table or back of a chair, and slowly exhaling as I press the shutter to minimize motion. (I do a lot of macrophotography of insects and sometimes setting up a tripod isn't an option, but consciously trying to minimize hand shake by holding my elbows tight to my body and trying to brace against something really seems to help.)

If you try some using a flash, try to shoot at an angle to your tank glass so you don't get too much glare, but I never have much luck with flash photos through glass.

I hope that helps!

Your crypt really is nice. I look forward to seeing your tank evolve as time goes by!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the very usefull advice uncskainch i have took a better picture now so take a look its not great but better i think
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:10 PM

I'm glad the photo advice was helpful! Keep practicing with the camera and you'll figure out the lighting and settings that work for you -- I find that I have to take several shots of the tank to get one or two that I'm happy with. Looks like the pic you've posted is a big improvement already -- I can see a lot more of the tank clearly!

I think a background would be nice, too -- like you, I have a bumpy textured wall behind the tank and I never realized how distracting the wall texture and the wires were until I put on an inexpensive black background.

You know, I had thought about getting hatchetfish, but after reading how many of yours have jumped our and after having a swordtail jump out on me already, maybe I'll stick with the fish I have! They are cool looking fish, though!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was thinking about growing a moss wall if i ever find any moss. So i think i will be getting a background while im searching for the moss... which could take a long time

What do you think to a moss wall in my tank? Anybody had experience with one or have any pictures with their tanks and moss walls?
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hi everybody just thought i would update you on my tank

If you go to www.angelfire.com/bug/funfunfun/20gallon.html you will see the latest pic of my tank

My plants are bubbling away nicely with oxygen after i added my DIY CO2

I have added a large peace of bogwood next to my crypt and attached some new plants, Anubias bateri "coffeefolia" towards the back on the left and anubias bartei var. nana in the middle in front of the bacopa.

I have also added Hygrophila corymbosa "siamensis" in front of the crypt on the left hand side of the tank.

On the right hand side of the tank i have added a tall grass like plant I donít know the name of to hide my pump. Could somebody please tell me the name of this plant

I also decided to split the Lilaeopsis novae-zealandia up and place it in the middle of the tank. (I am hoping to grow a grass like carpet around the bogwood.)

I have added a black background as a few of you have suggested.

I also decided to get some female friends for my male platy whoís been on his own for so long.

I am thinking of trimming the bacopa and planting the cuttings in my gravel what do you think?

I also decided to buy some crystalwort of ebay because it was cheap and i was just interested in seeing if buying plants of the net was such a good idea. So that should be on the way soon.

Any questions comments or suggestions are welcome

Cheers Dudley
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncskainch
I'm not sure what kind of camera you're using, but if you can set the camera for a faster speed (like 400 ISO) that may help "freeze" the motion a bit. You can also try taking the picture with the tank lights on but the room darkened.

If you have a tripod, great. If you don't, try doing something to stabilize your hands as you hold the camera. I've had good luck holding my elbows close to my body, bracing them against a table or back of a chair, and slowly exhaling as I press the shutter to minimize motion. (I do a lot of macrophotography of insects and sometimes setting up a tripod isn't an option, but consciously trying to minimize hand shake by holding my elbows tight to my body and trying to brace against something really seems to help.)

If you try some using a flash, try to shoot at an angle to your tank glass so you don't get too much glare, but I never have much luck with flash photos through glass.

I hope that helps!

Your crypt really is nice. I look forward to seeing your tank evolve as time goes by!
Changing ISO will not really help a blurry picture. ISO is the film speed and does not have anything to do with Shutter speed which should be faster to capture the image quicker.

Enough Photography 101 - what I can see in the pictures seems to be pretty nice with the exeption of some plants being plants that will out grow your tank in no time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 07:10 PM

Looking good Dudley! Your Bacopa looks great, but it is very dominant and kind of centered - KWIM? You might want to rearrange/trim it and kind of draw it over to the left a bit to get away from that. Also try maybe staggering and dividing the Lilaeopsis a bit. My understanding is that it is a very slow grower and right now it kind of has that "3 little plants all in a row" look to it.

My opinions anyway! Looking good though!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode