12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! - Page 129 - The Planted Tank Forum
 85Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1921 of 1944 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento View Post
I have this light on a Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long and I can tell you you most certainly need to either suspend it, or dial the intensity way down. The light is too powerful for such a shallow tank. You WILL get algae blooms.
Truth. That's what is on mine and I have it at 60% AND suspended about 8" above the water line. The guys at Aquarium Co-op told me it would be too strong but if someone tells me not to do something it makes me twice as likely to do it. Well, they were right.

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting a 22 long next which I think this light would work well with!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1944 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjcarew View Post
Truth. That's what is on mine and I have it at 60% AND suspended about 8" above the water line. The guys at Aquarium Co-op told me it would be too strong but if someone tells me not to do something it makes me twice as likely to do it. Well, they were right.

Anyways, I'm thinking of getting a 22 long next which I think this light would work well with!

Yes - I too was thinking about a deeper 36 inch long tank and that fit the bill, though I thought it was 20 gallon.

Either way, I donít want to deviate too much from the nice look of the 12 gallon long. I had a 38 gallon way way back when I was a kid, and Iím not only done with that look, but itís far too deep to service properly.

The 20/22 gallon long is still unique looking and very serviceable. And most importantly, I can still use the fluval light. Itís a really good light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regards,

Cento

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
post #1923 of 1944 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Can't clear the desk to take a decent full tank shot, so in sections.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

post #1924 of 1944 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Can't clear the desk to take a decent full tank shot, so in sections.

Looks lush. Whatís the spec/equipment on the tank?

Regards,

Cento

PIMP #427 - 2 x 2213, 1 x 2206, 1 x Surface Extractor
post #1925 of 1944 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cento View Post
Looks lush. Whatís the spec/equipment on the tank?

all the stats:

12g long mr. aqua

36" (not the 24-36" version) finnex 24/7

eheim 2211 canister filter
DIY inline eheim jagar heater with pvc, I think it 75 wat
ss mesh filter guard
black diamond 'sand'

pH 7.5
kH 4 (71.6) gh dkh 6 (107.4)
temp 78F

Ammonia nitrite nitrate 0/0/0 have to dose tank for nitrates

Aquaium Co-op Easy Green and iron pump ferts 1 pump 3 times a week... not really happy with them though having algae issues..so may go back to dosing with various Seachem flourish lines.

manzanita driftwood and white oak leaves

Italian, leopard, and some jungle vals, echinodorus parviflorus, duckweed, and a baby water sprite

lots of little limpet, blue shrimp-sold as 'dream blue', and I think I saw a mini ramshorn

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #1926 of 1944 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Come on people don't like this thread languish! I'm sure some of you still have your 12gs running, lets see some update photos!! Or new photos for new owners!

More section shots, same old 12g long from my side aka 'back view' of tank.
Nnow with moss, water lettuce, and shrimp!! Pardon the ugly pre-filter-babies on the way gotta be careful.

~
~
~
~
post #1927 of 1944 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 03:52 PM
Algae Grower

Hi everyone. First ever planted tank here. I've always wanted to do some type of carpeting plant because I thought it looked really cool. Here are some progression shots of my 12 gallon long UNS tank that I thought I'd share. I had a short battle with hair algae that caused some holes in my carpet and that's when I decided to start experimenting with other plants in preparation for my next scape.

Hujeta likes this.

Last edited by desantes; 04-01-2020 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Added several more recent pics including today
post #1928 of 1944 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantes View Post
Hi everyone. First ever planted tank here. I've always wanted to do some type of carpeting plant because I thought it looked really cool. Here are some progression shots of my 12 gallon long UNS tank that I thought I'd share. I had a short battle with hair algae that caused some holes in my carpet and that's when I decided to start experimenting with other plants in preparation for my next scape.

Yaowza, really like your hardscape! In a way very bold to go for such simplicity in a long tank like this. Makes me want to redo my scape lol. Do you have a journal where I can follow the full progression of it?

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #1929 of 1944 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujeta View Post
Yaowza, really like your hardscape! In a way very bold to go for such simplicity in a long tank like this. Makes me want to redo my scape lol. Do you have a journal where I can follow the full progression of it?
Thanks! I don't have a journal unfortunately. I didn't take a lot of pics during setup because I was way too excited lol. I will definitely start a journal for my new tank and scape. I've learned a lot from this first attempt and can't wait for the second try.
post #1930 of 1944 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
OMG! I was in this club many, many moons ago. Alas, several deployments and moves have left my 12L tank in pieces.

post #1931 of 1944 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 10:37 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantes View Post
Thanks! I don't have a journal unfortunately. I didn't take a lot of pics during setup because I was way too excited lol. I will definitely start a journal for my new tank and scape. I've learned a lot from this first attempt and can't wait for the second try.
Ah too bad for the rest of us but it's a good sign that you were in the zone! Would really like to see your upcoming journal so give me a shout when it's up 'n running!

24G long & shallow dragonrock Iwagumi

[Old] Long & shallow 24G: a
inspired by nature
post #1932 of 1944 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 07:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just found this thread and happen to have a brand new aquatop 12G long low iron glass tank.
I have not set it up yet as I need to build a stand for where it's going to go.
Here is my plan
BDBS substrate
24 led full spectrum
osmocote+ root tabs
mopani and some stone
Co2 not sure..TBD
I have a lot plants and fish to choose from in my other tanks.
I'm leaning towards a simple mostly blyxa japonica and some althernathea R. mini
For fish I have a school of espie rasboras, Galaxy rasbora (Celestial pearl Danios), Emerald Rasboras. I'm leaning the CPD's with some ottos cherry shrimp.

Filtration will be a nano canister with a diy inline heater.TBD
The big question is the stand ? Tall and narrow going to be tippy so it will have to be secured to a wall.
Whats your thoughts?

16G Aquastar High Tech nicrew lit with dwarf rainbow and striata's
Aquastyle Ar380 9G custom 5730 leds and filter modded for plants and shrimp
4G low iron cube with custom zoomed nano 10 filter
12G Long with Oase thermo100 filter, JC&P 5730 full spec led strip
post #1933 of 1944 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe!

Update : Pandemic Edition
Slowly gathering equipment for my 12 G long

Found a custom made hallway table for it. 13 inches deep and37 tall , perfect for shallow tank.

Hd Adjustable for leveling on my less than level floor.

Got a free zoomed nano 10 filter.
I have longer silicone hoses for when i layout the filtration .

Got a spring and lees rigid tubing so I can heat gun me some nano sized clear lily pipes.
The right angle fitting on the nano 10 filters is a big flow reducer.
noticeable increase when I did the intake. I assume when I do the outtake they will be further flow increase.

Spring pipe bender

Finally found a suitable led unit. Jc&P 48 watt full spectrum with timer . It has 96 .5 watt 6730 leds /50 lumens per led at max .
64 white , 16 blue 8 red 8 green
fits the tank lengthwise nicely. Probably going to be dialling it down a fair bit Since these tanks are so shallow which means it will run cooler and last longer.

post #1934 of 1944 (permalink) Old 12-14-2020, 07:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update
Got my oase thermo filter

and j tubes made .

Heat formed with heat gun

Inlet and outlet tubes will be strapped to a bracket underneath to provide support.

A clear acrylic skimmer that is small enough for nano tanks !!

as seen in 12. long . Skimmer can easily be shortened as well.

Going to be a sodastream based co2 system with a standard reg with controller and co2 art inline diffuser .

post #1935 of 1944 (permalink) Old 12-14-2020, 07:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@BOTIA I love that skimmer, where did you get it?

Tags
12 gallon long, 12 gallon rimless, mr aqua, nano tanks, stand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode