first freshwater planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
first freshwater planted tank

I have a 29 gal. tank that I am going to try and start a journal with. I hope this pic can be seen. I just started it today. It's a 29 gal. I don't want to do a high tech. tank... yet. I have a power 30inch PC light, and a HOB filter that does 200 gal. per hour. I want to keep it lightly stocked with fish. So far i am thinking dwarf gourami, 6 cory cats, and some tetras. Please let me know if this going to be too much. I really want the dwarf gourami, and the tetras. but if no on the cory cats then, a suggestion for a bottom cleaner. My experience in aquariums is all reefs. Thanks for future comments and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	43435  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think you should have a second HOB filter to support the bioload. But good start.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Even with a lower bio-load, will instill need 2 HOB filters?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use a penguin 150 on my 29 gallon. Works well.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How many gallons an hour is that? Also my other question is, will two filters running, bump up my energy cost significantly? I don't want to end up spending thousands on this go around like I did my reef tank. The wife is like congress and I have to keep my spending in check
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (49/100%)
you may find the flow to be insufficient once the plants fill in. i had an aquaclear 50 which is rated at 200gph, on my 20 long, and one half of the tank had poor circulation. it worked well at first, but once the plants took off i had to add a small powerhead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ahhhhhh got it. As a former reef person, flow is something I can understand. So this filter is a Aqueon 30, which is rated at 200 gph. So should I get another Aqueon 30?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would get another Aqueon 30. Your fish stock sounds fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

Hi there, here's my 2 cents. Your desired stocking rate (including corys) should be fine with that tank and with that filter. In fact you could probably add more. In my experience, overstocking just creates a larger maintenance requirement...read more frequent water changes. Assuming you are stocking within reason. As far as the water movement, that's entirely dependent on your layout. I would set it up with the one and you could add a power head/filter at a later time if necessary. One of my tanks is a planted 6 gallon fluval edge with an aquaclear 20, stocked with 5 tetras, 2 corys, 2 ottos and 10 shrimp. 50% water change every other week.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a good idea, I could wait, and see how It goes, and if I need another filter, I could always add it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I had 1 dwarf gouramis 8 glolight tetras and 3 neon tetras in a heavily planted 10 gal and they all did very well so you should easily be able to do those fish.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok good. Because the more I research on the Cory's, the more I want them. If I had a bigger tank though, would probably go with a red tail shark. Love hose fish.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Planted Member

Yay! A fellow lowtech 29er. Honestly, for now, one filter should be good enough. But like what the others are saying, once it starts to get filled with plants and fish, some other source of circulation will probably be needed. Seeing that you want dwarf gouramis, I think that an asian theme would be cool, stocking wise, 1-2x Gourami, 6-10x Harlequin raspora, and some type of loach (yoyo, zebra, kuhli, dwarf chain) would be nice. Thats just a suggestion.

My Tanks

Eheim Pimp Club Member #504

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode