My new tank - 185L bow front (pictures) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new tank - 185L bow front (pictures)

Right there, here goes:

Under circumstances beyond my control I was forced to purchase a new tank and started everything over again. It wasn't too much of a hardship though.

So, I purchased my new tank and all the necessary equipment (external filter, heater, substrate etc) and when I was setting it up I fund myself taking a few random photos, so here they are. I suppose that it's mainly a journal for me so that I can see my tanks progress, but with the knowledge available on here then I'm open to ideas if you can see that I'm going completely wrong.

Tank - Aqua One Eurostyle bow front 80
Dims - width 42cms, length 80cms, height 64cms
Volume - 185L
Lighting - 2 x 24w T5
Filtration - Advance 750

This was just a boring old pic of the tank from the top, whilst I was getting the internal filter gubbins set up:

And this is where it will eventually be situated:

So, here's the tank in his final resting place, with the substrate in, the internal bits and bobs in position, and a lump of bog-wood looking really lonely, but I wanted to at least put something in there.

I part filled the tank this morning to start planting, I was going to re-plant from my old tank, but I was kinda surprised to see just how established they were, and they basically came out as one MASSIVE group with roots everywhere.

I tried sitting there and separating them, but in all honestly there wasn't much that I could salvage (well I could still be here now trying to pick them apart), so I was pretty ruthless and selected just the strongest, newest, and all-round decent plants. Binned the rest and am now going to buy some brand new ones.

So this is now how things are tonight - you can see 3 golden barbs in there that survived my previous catastrophe, which I had nowhere else to put them so they had to go in. Weather they survive is a different matter but they've been troopers so far.

I've got improvement plans in my head, and a list of plants that I wish to go through in more detail, then decide on what as the right-hand side looks a touch bare.

Fish-wise I'm just going for the standard community set up - neons, platties etc. You know, just something nice to look at.

Any suggestions on aqua-scape, plants (I'm assuming that his is considered to be a low/medium light set up), or anything like that then I'll all ears and open to criticism.

I'll report back once I've researched and purchased my plants and fish, then hopefully watch it become a tank that I can be proud of.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice looking set up dude, I like the substrate and simple yet effective use of the bog wood. I've had those plant types previously (echinondorus species possibly) and they have a habit of getting BIG , will be interesting to see how you get on with them over the mid-long term.

I've just moved from a CO2 injected bow front tank to a low-medium light traditional shaped tank without carbon supplementation, keep us posted on how you find cleaning the front glass on a bow front, I found it a little arduous to be honest.

Looking very promising and good luck to you

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode