Scout's 80 gal journal 56k *4/27/05* update 56k - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Scout's 80 gal journal 56k *4/27/05* update 56k

Hey everyone! This will be the first time I have ever had a live plant in one of my tanks! So any help or input is much appreciated. I still can't decide which is more relaxing, watching my fish or building a planted tank.
I have been picturing a stump in the middle with roots on the bottom that hold it up off the bottom so the fish can swim around under the stump. I found the perfect stump and collected a bucket of nice looking rocks from a nearby river.
I am using a 80 gallon 48x18x24 glass aquarium on a stand that I made(waiting for cabinet doors) I have a milwaukie regulator with a bubble counter, reactor on a 20# tank. I am using my backup Fluval 403 right now but I have a Odyssea CFS4 on the way. I have 2x40watt florescent and a 4x55 CF light. I am using about 60% Florite 10% sand and 30% gravel. I have a 500 watt titanium heater with remote temp control.
My biggest concerns are knowing where my perameters should be as well as knowing when to fertilize etc... Basically I will need to learn the difference between planted tank maintenance and fishtank maintenance
Here are some pictures. I will try to keep them updated when I do something new. I probably won't be ready for plants for a few weeks.

Last edited by Scout; 04-28-2005 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Update info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:11 AM
Planted Member

I love the terracing! Now all we need are plants! And lots of them!

Nolan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram
I like the layout! Keep us updated. That stump is a nice find -- it would look great partially covered with anubias, java fern or something like that.
Kudos,
-Ryan

90g journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---------------------------------------------------
SFBAAPS member -

SAPS member -

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Well I adjusted the stump slightly and went to the river and got some rocks to build a better terrace wall as well as create more nooks for the lil ones. I am pretty happy with the way it is going but I am anxious to get some plants in there! I threw some little fish in while it is cycling but I am trying to hold back and do alot of PWC to make sure everything is out of the stump and it still wants to float.
Here is another pic:

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 05:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
some people will attach wood to a flat piece of slate and then use the gravel the weigh it down. Nice lay out.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 06:07 AM

wow, Id kill for that stump
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:26 AM

looks great so far: that stump is amazing, great find what type of substrate is that looks a bit like fluorite????
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 AM

Nice stump!

Just a suggestion: don't have the stump centered like that (at least in the pic it looks centered). It will look a lot better if you place it about a third of the way from one end of the tank...
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Stump looks great, I would love to find something like that.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Lots of potential there!

Yes, move that stump over a bit. Look up "golden ratio" on this & other forums for placement ideas.

The setup will look better with one color of stone.

Also, avoid symmetry with rock placement--those 2 light stones in the center are too "perfect" to be natural. You may want to consider running the terrace at a diagonal to add depth.

I suggest placing the stump so that the top cut is above the water line.

Plants (lots of them--put in tons) will help with your cycling big time. They're coated with bacteria. Add them ASAP or you'll have big algae problems with all that light. Begin fertilizing them immediately (but again, plant the tank FULL with plants. People here will send you fast growers for the cost of shipping.

John P.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone! I think you are right on not centering the stump, maybe I will move it over and have one larger terrace on one side.
Right now I am just using 2 40 watt tubes. I am waiting to put my CF light and hook up my CO2 until I actually have some plants
The stump was originally taller but it wouldn't fit inside the top tank openings so I had to cut it down I will try to raise the stump by building up.
The substrate is about 60% Florite, 30%gravel and 10% sand.
I will try to get it rearanged and post another pic.
Thanks!
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:17 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Good lookin layout, I agree with john... lose the gold stones.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

OK, I drained the tank down and did some rearranging per some input from you guys/gals! I did a little more buildup so I could get the top of the stump above the water level. Looks much better IMHO. I left the light colored rocks for now but I may replace them with darker ones although I did gather all the rocks from the same river
Here is the new set up:

I need to get some plants!!!

Last edited by Scout; 04-24-2005 at 01:05 AM. Reason: update
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
looks alot better now. I love that stump!!!

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The new arrangement looks much more natural, good job. I can picture vals, crypts, mosses and ferns in your tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode