55g journal *updated 4-23-05* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
55g journal *updated 4-23-05*

Let me know what everyone thinks, this is only day 2 since the batts in my cam were dead yesterday. I still have to add a foreground of glosso, get rid of some of the dwarf sag, and add moss and nana petite to the wood.

Tank
Gallons: 55
Lighting: JBJ Formosa Power Compact DX 4.7wpg
Co2: Pressurized 25ppm
Fertz: Just Flourish for right now
Filtration: Fluval Canister Filter, Model 404, but will be switching to EHEIM Classic 2215 very soon.
PH: 6.6

Fish
10 neons
1 M and 1 F albino bristlenose pelco
1 F German Blue Ram the male just died a couple hours ago prob due to PPS

Plants:
Asian Ambulia (Limnophila sesiliflora)*1*, Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)*2*, Eusteralis stellata 'broad leaf' *3*, Eusteralis stellata *4*, Limnophia aromatica *5*, Hemianthus callitrichoides *6*, Giant Hairgrass (Eleocharis montevidensis)*7*

Ignore the ugly rock ontop of the wood on the left side, normally this wood sinks right away, but for some reason this one wants to float. I'll be getting rid of that rock in about a week prob. Also, ignore the little piece of ambulia floating in the middle of the tank :P should have netted it out before the pic was taken hehe.

The broad leaf stellata, stellata, and aromatica were all gifts to me and I love them all to death. Each of them were only about 2" when I got them, they were just tiny clippings and are growing quite fast. Thought I'd tell you all that just incase you were wondering why I only have a stem of them instead of a big bunch. I just cut the broad leaf and will be doing the same to the aromatica very soon.

Last edited by JadedRapport; 04-23-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:12 AM

That is a great start! The tank definitely has a lot of potential. The one thing that doesn't catch my eye is the wood. I think it may look better if both pieces were moved towards the center and angle them towards the back center. It should, from my perspective, help give the tank an illusion of depth that is impossible to achieve in a 55g (I have the same problem, I mean tank). Play around with it when you attach your plants, see what you think.

Keep us updated
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Planted Member

I would do what bellisb925 says about the driftwood. Maybe also add more species of plants.

Nolan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a great idea to me. I was just placing the wood in there for the time being just so it wouldn't be totally naked. I simply don't have the time to attach the moss and nana petite until prob next weekend. My general goal is the mirror island 2:1 concept, I found an example of this and I loved it so the HC is sorta gona mark like where the empty space will be and I'll move the wood over to the center to the edge of where I'll allow the HC to grow and I'll tilt it to the back like you suggested.

Tomorrow I have the fun of planting glosso, woo back pain here I come! (my stand isn't too tall and I'm 6'3-4")
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:14 AM

How about a staggered figure 8 approach which would also give you an 2 island and depth.

I did a quick drawing to show you what I mean.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:42 AM

Mirrored island 2:1 concept, staggered figure 8; we definitely need a section for aquascaping specifically. Those are both great concepts that I'll have to add to the memory bank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Update

4-23-05
Ok, here is a little update.

I changed the layout as you can tell hehe...I got rid of one of the pieces of wood and covered this piece in both taiwan moss and 5 things of Nana petite.

Here is a pic from above that shows the attached moss and petite.

The Asian Ambulia is taking off like a weed! I love this plant soooo much and couldn't be happier with my choice in background plant! Here is a pic of one of the rams playing in the AA.

I'll be adding the glosso in a few hours, just taking a little break for now. I'll post pics again once I get the glosso all in place. Also, on Monday I'll be getting in a nice bunch of aromatica. I was just going to go with clippings, but I need to get more plants in here and it was super cheap so I just went ahead and bid on it.

I am running into my first problem though I think I may have cut the broad leaf stellata too far down on its stem. The clipping hasn't gotten any roots yet and the plant I clipped it from is falling all apart where as before it was growing like crazy. If it dies I will just buy a bunch of it because I really like this plant too!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 12:57 AM

Nice job Jaded! I like the single piece of wood with an open side.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 07:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedRapport
I am running into my first problem though I think I may have cut the broad leaf stellata too far down on its stem. The clipping hasn't gotten any roots yet and the plant I clipped it from is falling all apart where as before it was growing like crazy. If it dies I will just buy a bunch of it because I really like this plant too!
From what i understand. Its best to trim from the bottom and replant the top. If thats why you did, it maybe just need some time to recover.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Banned

PTrader: (53/98%)
Like the new setup!!! Just needs more plants!!! I would add plants in the other corner and leave a space between the driftwood/plant Island and the other corner filled with plants. With the glosso filling in the rest. Maybe some petrified wood or rocks in the 'scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode