First shot at going emersed (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
First shot at going emersed (56K)

As the title says this is my first real shot at an emersed setup (other than the occasional small glass vase kinda thing). I am honestly not going for pretty, I am going for cheap on this one.

First off the preliminary supplies

Egg crate cut to size / spacers, heater, water pump in place

Pots in (no media in pots yet) and light on top (cheap 6500K 2 bulb T8)..need to figure out how to put some spacers between the light and the lid so that it does not sit so close.

That is as far as I am doing today as the plants will not be arriving till Thursday / Friday. It will be much easier for me to fix potential issues before the water and media are in than after.

I do have a few questions for those out there that know a lot more about emersed growing than I do. Is there anything I need to mix with the MGOP / Loam mixture I will be using as substrate? Is running an 18hour photo-period to much? Finally how far up on the pots should my water level be? (I have seen some that barely touch the bottoms and others that nearly flood over the pots)

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

Last edited by BIG_Z; 02-28-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is going to be great! I will be following

Fluval Chi 5G: Honey Gouramis, Betta, & Neon Tetra x4
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well, I lied, I got bored and decided to do more today. Mixed up my substrate (so to late to make changes to that), filled the pots and then added water. I am kinda glad I did this because the issues I need to fix now are glaringly obvious.

First off its on the floor...cant think of a way to make water changes more difficult. Second the sides of the egg crate need bracing, just the corners are not nearly enough. The pots in the middle are 1/4-1/2" lower than the ones over the current braces (cant see in the pic because I slid them all as close to the sides as possible to reduce the bow in the egg crate for the time being). I honestly though it was a little firmer than it is. So tomorrow morning I will pull all the pots (aka make a huge mess hopefully) and add some side braces. As for the light (keeping it off the plastic top) I am cheating right now as the sides are set on the corners of 5 gallon buckets

On a happier note the water pump I put in is doing just as much as I wanted it to. There is flow over the whole container but no spots where there is more than desired. I would turn the heater on to test how much that will help the humidity but I am to worried that the egg crate will bow so much that it will touch it and melt.

Also tomorrow I think I will get another container and skip the whole egg crate / spacers part and use it for taller plants aka. the C. spirialis that is on its way. (The light I have on it is long enough to cover two containers)

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Another day and the ideas are slowly coming.
I put in the braces on the side to keep the egg crate from bowing (2 pieces of pvc do not warrant a new pic).

Even without the heater on to raise the water temps the humidity in the container is near 100%. Now I am really debating whether or not I am going to use the heater (Or maybe set it really low as a backup heat source)

Also I am thinking or leaving the pots set where they are now and using the open center of the container as a place to root anubias to small pieces of driftwood. Ideas are being slowly pieced together..as long as I have it figured out by Thurs/Fri when the plants start arriving I am good I guess.

For the second container I am thinking of just using a bunch of sweater boxes and going to easy way. I can fit 3 sweater boxes in and still have space for some other random pots. Ideas for what goes in the boxes are box 1 - the spirialis, box 2 - UG, Box 3 - HC.

Since I am using MGOPM / Loam as the substrate do I need to fertilize the water?

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi BIG Z,

Apparently MGOPM has chicken manure in it which will feed your plants up to two months. If you decide to augment the fertilizer in the soil I would be cautious to avoid burning delicate roots. (I do not add fertilizer to pots with stems that have not grown roots.) When I do fertilize I use Miracle-GroŽ Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food which I mix up at 1/2 strength.

I try to keep my water level between 1/2 way up the pot to just below the substrate level. It seems to keep algae and mold from growing on the surface of the substrate.

Peptent humidomes

Note water at substrate level; Hagen Mini Elite Filter w/aerator

Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' from AFA in San Francisco

Eriocaulon parkeri (front) Eriocaulon sp. ('Mini'?) back; hmm need some iron

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I really like the two liter bottle humidity dome thing you have there. Quick easy cheap idea aka I LOVE it. I shall start saving up some 2 liter bottles now

What is that plant you have in the second picture down on the far right?

I have one of these sitting nearly empty (other than a few bromeliads) And it would look great full of those 2 liter bottle domes.

The only difference is mine has five shelves not three.

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Big Z,

That plant is Riccia fluitans; a lot of people don't realize it can be grown emersed with high humidity.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Glad to see you got on the emersed tank wagon! I am going to have to use that eggcrate method. A lot better than my current method.

Can't wait until you get some plants and it becomes a jungle!

-Caton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Big Z,

That plant is Riccia fluitans; a lot of people don't realize it can be grown emersed with high humidity.

I wish it didn't grow emersed. Its taking over my tank!

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I wish it didn't grow emersed. Its taking over my tank!
If its taking over your tank send me some! @: , Im still not sure about how I have this one setup. The eggcrate is only there to make room for the heater and water flow..we shall see if that matters the second container will have none of that.

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well I got some plants in today.
Got -
C. wendtii red
C. wendti green
C. wendti tropica
C. wendti hybrid green (no clue as to exactly what mix it is)
C. pontederiifolia
C. nevellii
C. willisi x lucens
C. lucens
C. undulata
C. spirialis
C. ciliata

I figured that would be an ok starter pack for me to kind of get my feet wet and start to figure out the world of crypts without losing to much $ if I fail. Anyway she has the camera at the moment so this will be updated with some pics. later tonight.

*edit I want more crypts I still have 6 empty containers and room for about 10 more(and that is just in the one bin..there is an empty one sitting beside it)..take me to your crypts..well I guess I should say send your crypts to me , If you have any that are not on my list then I am looking to buy them, PM me*

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

Last edited by BIG_Z; 02-24-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: I want mooore
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
We need pics!

Can't wait to see this turn into a jungle

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

A few random pics No real rhyme of reason to these pictures, just randomness of pictures I liked.

Sorry for the low quality cell phone pics.

On a side note how do I (or can I) edit the title of this thread..might want to include 56k thing in it.

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
hi Big
i'm a fan of emersed setup too
so it's always interesting to read this
thanks for sharing

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_Z View Post
On a side note how do I (or can I) edit the title of this thread..might want to include 56k thing in it.
I think you can change the title by clicking "Edit" on the first post, and then hit "Go Advanced" (shows up after clicking edit).
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Didnt realize how much had changed till I looked back at these pics. I will post some new pics up later tonight.

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode