Emily's 20 gl Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emily's 20 gl Tank

So I am new to this forum, my husband and I have a 120 gl reef tank and I have decided to branch out to a planted tank. I already had a 20gl tank that we were going to use for another reason. So tonight I bought a bag of flouite red to go on the bottom of my tank, a filter with carbon in it, and a bottle of fritz zyme. Now I am just waiting on the tank to settle down. I am very excited but do not know much about planted tanks yet. Lucky I found this form and the owner of my local fish store is a good friend of mine and knows a lot about planted tanks. Any advise would be wonderful!

Thanks,
Emily C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would start by deciding what kind of maitenance plan you are willing to get into.

A "higher tech" will entail more equipment (CO2, more lighting, fert dosing) and more trimming and more due-diligence.

A simpler, but still beautiful tank can be had with less light, specific plants, and patience. There are some great examples in theLow Tech Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I will be running a simpler tank, I am not sure on what plants I will be doing yet. Once my tank is scyled I am going to go back to my LFS and he is going to help me pick out plants and make sure I have the correct lighting for plants. I do know I will be getting angel fish for my tank though. I also bought a heater tonight, I forgot to say that above.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tap a talk

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I feel it is best to get the light system first and then get the plants suited for it. What light are you going to use?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't know anythig yet like I said my LFS owner is a good friend of mine is he is going to help me along the way. Once my tank is ready for fish and plants I will pick up the correct lighting for the plants I want from him. Like I said this is all new to me I know way more about saltwater. I wanted to join this to make a build thred and read up on what others are doing. Once I get lighting and plants ill post what I have got. Any sugestions on lights?
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you are interested in low tech with just monthly water changes check out the El Natural forum. Basically it is dirt with 3ml gravel or sand over it. Scott's top soil is my favorite for it is light due to the mulch in it.

For lights the coralife T5NO is good for low tech. Believe cheapest at Pet Blvd.com. Pet Smart carries the bulbs sold under manufacture aqueon.

TheOtherGeoff tank is an example of what you can grow. Just can't get tall plants like cryptocoryne balance. He is in a different state so you won't have the same minerals in your water. He just tops his tank off. I found if I don't change water monthly I loose a few fish. Probably due to the fact that I live near a big city, thus the water is heavily treated. In fact the water smells of chlorine.

Last edited by Hilde; 02-20-2012 at 02:30 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome thanks for the information I will be using RO/DI water and not tap water and do monthly water changes.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by echristiansen08 View Post
I will be using RO/DI water
You already have a unit for it?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No I get it from my LFS already for my saltwater tank so ill just use that. I live in a tiny apartment so no room for one
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Since I started using 4 gallons of purified water (Walmart's purification machine) along with tap water for water changes I haven't had problems. It is probably cheaper than water from LFS.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

True but like I said I have to have it for my 120 gl reef tank anyways. And its only .75 cents a gallon.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by echristiansen08 View Post
Its only .75 cents a gallon.
Walmart water is $.33 and Kroger water is $.23. Cost must add up.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do get your point but only doing a water change once a month its not that much and I already have it handy at the house. A saltwater tank has to have RO/DI and I have too much money invested in all my tanks so I just wany to do RO/DI.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh! Is that a 20 gallon long or high?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

High

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode