Please help me scape my 75 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Please help me scape my 75 Gallon

I don't have much of an eye when it comes to aquascaping, better yet trying to do it on a budget. I tried, but I am not too happy with it (especially compared to some of the tanks on this forum). Someone PLEASE help me improving my design.

Currently this tank is home to 7-Zebra Daniels, 3-Clown Loaches, 2-Neon Tetras (11 died), 1-True SAE, and 3-Amino Shrimp. I also have 8 live plants and 8 artificial (silk) plants. The live plants are 2-Amazon Swords, 1-Java Fern, 1-Ludwiga (not absolutely sure of species), 1-Rotala (not absolutely sure of species), 1-Javmoss, 1-Micro Sword, and 2-Italian Vals.

Tank Stats:
Ph - 6.8
Ammonia - 0ppm
nitrite - 0ppm
nitrate - 3ppm
kh & gh - unknown (tested at LFS and read very soft)
temp - 79DegF
substrate - 50/50 Eco-Complete & Gravel (170lbs total)
co2 - currently none (but I do use Flourish Excel)
filter - Emperor 400
light - 65Watt x 2 PC

I plan to eventually setup a DIY co2 kit. And I am aware of cycling an aquarium, but mine actually cycled in 1 week with the 7 Zebra Daniels. I tested myself and had it tested at the LFS (must be the Eco-Complete).
I also plan on eventually adding more Clown Loaches and at least 3 Discus.

Thanks in advance from me and my Clown Loaches.

75 Gallon Tank

Last edited by jesstray; 04-12-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

No Replies

Is anyone there?

Please let me know if you are having trouble accessing my photos.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:32 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I was able to see the photos just fine. Considering how you have no CO2, I think it looks pretty decent. I think it just needs some time to grow in. Although with no CO2, it might now grow in too quickly.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 06:19 AM

PTrader: (7/100%)
is 2x65w light enough for a 75g? I'm not too experienced with the bigger tanks.

I think what you really want is some aquascaping help. First of all, plants popping out randomly in the foreground will never be ok . . . especially swords. To make the foreground strong, I would designate a triangular portion of it to be the foreground, and the big plants should be moved back out of it.

Well, you get the idea, this is crude but . . . you may see in my drawing that the right side is larger than the other-- well this is a way to use the
2/3 ration, the "golden ration" that is balanced to the human eye. There is a thread here with a really good deeper tutorial on that but . . . anyway, this is a basic easy lay out to follow. Basically, the foreground can be bare, possess small plants, or even some medium or fine-leafed larger ones when used tactfully. For sake of simplicity and ease, I would keep it bare but spread those microswords of yours out so they have a chance to fill in the foreground.

The mid ground sets the structure of the tank, and the rocks and wood used to build it should set up the structure of the tank. Anubias and javaferns are key players in a lot of tanks in the mid ground, because they are un-obtrusive for the most part (though keep an eye on those ferns) and they dress the mid ground plants which are also important for structure.

Background planting should be done with an eye to break up symmetry. Try to make the two sides of the background distinctly different. Trimming is vital to getting attractive bushy growth from stem plants.

Well these are some simple instructions, though if you follow this there isn't much room for creativity. However, from your post I'm getting that you just want help, and not irritating artistic theory support and me acting like an art teachers saying "Push yourself! Figure it out on your own!"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
I can't see the hardscape materials very well, what is the idea behind their placement?

It will be easier for you to 'scape the tank when you have more plants to work with. Right now you are still in the 'grow things out' stage. If I were you I'd just concentrate on getting the plants going then plan on taking them out and actually 'scaping the tank later. I had to do something like this recently when a crinum took over my lace plant tank, so this comes from experience.

In the mean time you can look at the contest pictures at the AGA site and pick the kind of look you'd like to see in your tank. It's much easier if you start with a goal in mind first, then it is to throw a bunch of stuff in a tank and then try to move it around.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Smile Thanks

I appreciate all of your advice (especially greenmiddlefinger). I will change my layout and post pics once I am done.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode